Static Grass Tips and Techniques

MichaelW

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A bit of a boring subject and apologies if it's been covered before!

What's the best method of keeping static grass scenery clean? I've used a portable 600W vacuum cleaner on mine and 'scarred' the grass with an accidental touch of the nozzle.

Any recommendations on the best equipment to use please?

• 2 weeks later...

The small usb vac computer and camera cleaners from China are very good, power by the rail controller to give variable control as the 5 volts on usb is a bit too much. Not much suck, but it straightens fallen grass and picks up excess, usually about £2 on Ebay. Nozzle or brush fit.

Stephen.

• 7 months later...

My first attempt at applying static grass (on a steep embankment slope) has not proved conspicuously successful. I’d like to remove it and try again. Can anyone advise on the best way of removing a static grass layer?

My first attempt at applying static grass (on a steep embankment slope) has not proved conspicuously successful. I’d like to remove it and try again. Can anyone advise on the best way of removing a static grass layer?

I dont bother removing. Just use the glue over the existing grass. It adds depth.
  • Like 1

To put grass on a steep slope, cover the slope with a good layer of PVA and then apply the static grass fibres in clumps using your fingers, varying the colours and the lengths and pushing it into the glue. You'll have a lovely thick layer of grass, after which a fine spray with Photomount allows a sprinkle of scatter and flowers. It works a treat, and not just on slopes. 

Chuck that applicator in the bin, you don't need it.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it was stuck down with PVA, possibly the same method for removing ballast could be used? gently apply hot water to the area might soften the glue up. Failing that, shave it off with a razor blade might work.

• 4 weeks later...

A stiff brush should get most of it up

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

PECO are currently marketing three static grass applicators, PSG-1,2 and 3. The 3 I understand, being for smaller detailed areas...but what about the other two? The PSG-1 and 2 seem to be for identical use but the latter is twice the price of the former! What’s the difference, and is it worth the extra cost?

• RMweb Gold

PECO are currently marketing three static grass applicators, PSG-1,2 and 3. The 3 I understand, being for smaller detailed areas...but what about the other two? The PSG-1 and 2 seem to be for identical use but the latter is twice the price of the former! What’s the difference, and is it worth the extra cost?

I suspect that the PSG-2 operates at a higher voltage. Does anybody know the operating voltage of either of these?

I suspect that the PSG-2 operates at a higher voltage. Does anybody know the operating voltage of either of these?

I'll let you know later John !  :jester:

post-20303-0-33053800-1542009939.jpg

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

What did you do with it ?

I sold it to to a man who desperately wanted to buy it from me!

Rather cross now as I intended to buy a replacement which will cost a lot more after Thursday's events. :angry:

I recently received my replacement machine from France. At last I have back a 'Rolls-Royce' of flocking machines. I also saved around £5 by ordering before the GBP fell due to all the political carrying on!

post-6728-0-25342900-1546595643.jpg

A heavy-duty machine manufactured in Germany was needed for the very large quantity of static grass that will be required to complete the scenics for 'Balcombe'.

I bought it from 'Microrama' in Brittany who are very accommodating.  http://microrama.eu/    Their range of products is of a high quality with their 0.5mm 'Magileaf' being particularly useful providing around 1.5" leaves.

post-6728-0-11921700-1546596473.jpg

Taken from their promotional video which is worth a watch! All done with various length static grasses.

post-6728-0-25550100-1546597236.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I recently received my replacement machine from France. At last I have back a 'Rolls-Royce' of flocking machines. I also saved around £5 by ordering before the GBP fell due to all the political carrying on!

attachicon.gifRTS_Greenkeeper.jpg

A heavy-duty machine manufactured in Germany was needed for the very large quantity of static grass that will be required to complete the scenics for 'Balcombe'.

I bought it from 'Microrama' in Brittany who are very accommodating.  http://microrama.eu/ Theirrange of products is of a high quality with their 0.5mm 'Magileaf' being particularly useful providing around 1.5" leaves.

attachicon.gif20190104_100119.jpg

That should do the trick for Balcombe.

I do like the additional smaller funnelled applicator which is going to be useful for tight spots or just a minute scattering.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifRTS_Greenkeeper.jpg

I bought it from 'Microrama' in Brittany who are very accommodating.  http://microrama.eu/    Their range of products is of a high quality with their 0.5mm 'Magileaf' being particularly useful providing around 1.5" leaves.

attachicon.gif20190104_100119.jpg

Taken from their promotional video which is worth a watch! All done with various length static grasses.

attachicon.gifMicrorama.jpg

Thanks for this (and for all your other posts). Can I ask how long it took to arrive? People have said in this thread that direct from RTS is 2-and-a-half weeks. Does anyone have any experience with LocDepot recommended by Milocomarty? http://www.locdepot.nl/scenery/rts-greenkeeper/statische-begrasser/rts-greenkeeper-35kv-detail

and know how long they take to deliver/how that compares to Microrama? How much is postage from Microrama/LocDepot? Thanks. 

On the microrama site there is an interesting comparison table: 

https://eshop.microrama.eu/fr/121-rts-greenkeeper

Underneath it says "On constate sur ce tableau que les modèles 15KV et 25KV sont réservés aux échelles Z et N. Si pour faire le l’herbe, les 15KV et 25KV sont tout à fait suffisants, pour faire des arbres en N ou Z l’acquisition d’un 35 KV peut être opportun. Le 35KV est l’appareil universel à partir du HO et le 55KV sera conseillé pour les adaptes des grandes échelles 0 ou 1." Partial translation: "It can be noted from this table that the RTS 15KV and 25KV are best left for Z and N gauge, and that the 35KV is best for HO." This is odd as even the 15KV outperforms the best of the rest, according to their table. 

• RMweb Gold

Try going to WWS. They supply PECO. Nice chaps from Swansea.

PECO 'S PGS 1 is their Pro Grass Micro Static Grass Applicator which I have used for about three years now. It will cope with 2mm to 6mm fibres quite nicely.

https://www.war-world.co.uk/index.php/tools-pro_grass_applicators/?k=33623:9:::39

There are also a few tutorials on You Tube.

Here's some of mine as an example..

Rob

post-14122-0-92630900-1546681225_thumb.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask how long it took to arrive? People have said in this thread that direct from RTS is 2-and-a-half weeks. 

About that time. It would have been quicker but they were waiting on a delivery from the manufacturer. They were very apologetic and when it arrived they had put in a can of 'Magispray' by way of an apology. Most accommodating! All in all, a good firm to deal with.

A pushed for time ATM but I'll reply further later.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About that time. It would have been quicker but they were waiting on a delivery from the manufacturer. They were very apologetic and when it arrived they had put in a can of 'Magispray' by way of an apology. Most accommodating! All in all, a good firm to deal with.

A pushed for time ATM but I'll reply further later.

Thanks for the tip - ordered a 35KV from Microrama. The website did say "produit en stock" so hopefully the delay you experienced shouldn't happen. They say 2-3 days delivery if you have it sent by DPD to a collection point (4-7 days if it goes to home address). 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the tip - ordered a 35KV from Microrama. The website did say "produit en stock" so hopefully the delay you experienced shouldn't happen. They say 2-3 days delivery if you have it sent by DPD to a collection point (4-7 days if it goes to home address). 

You're welcome. Mine was sent via the French firm 'Boxtel' but the final part of the delivery was done by 'Hermes'. It took four days to be delivered after it was tracked as arriving in the UK. Need I say more! 

I do have 'Noch' and  'Flockit' machines which work quite well. The difference between the power rating of around the quoted 12kv for those to the 35kv of the RTS machine is the 'power' that the grasses exit the machine and remain vertical on the work. I'm very pleased with it considering the amount of use that it will get!

• RMweb Premium

You're welcome. Mine was sent via the French firm 'Boxtel' but the final part of the delivery was done by 'Hermes'. It took four days to be delivered after it was tracked as arriving in the UK. Need I say more! 

I do have 'Noch' and  'Flockit' machines which work quite well. The difference between the power rating of around the quoted 12kv for those to the 35kv of the RTS machine is the 'power' that the grasses exit the machine and remain vertical on the work. I'm very pleased with it considering the amount of use that it will get!

Thanks for the info on delivery. I have the lowest expectations of DPD, so if they come good it will be a bonus... 

• RMweb Premium

Well that didn't go very well! Microrama emailed this afternoon to say that the RCS 35KV, shown (and still showing) as in stock, is not in fact in stock and will be two weeks to delivery. So I'll be cancelling that order! 

I could chase the Dutch distributor that Milocomarty recommended a few pages back to see if he has any, but Gordon Gravett's book has arrived in the meantime and I think I'll go with the Green Scene Flockit - I can't see how the results he gets with that machine could be improved on. 

• 2 months later...