Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

For me a chocolate and cream 1930s shirt button one is what I'd plump for out of all those options, even though it was the blood and custard ones I remember west of Kidderminster when we were courting.

But are they likely to vanish off the shelves within a day or so?

The elaborate fully lined version of the Wainright C class did. I'm still disappointed with the plain Jane green one sitting on the shelf above me.

dh

Not sure if it's been noted yet on here but Joel from Dapol has replied on Dapol Digest that these are in production and due to be shipped in August. With a shipping time of say 6weeks that hopefully means late September or October in U.K. No images yet but not much longer hopefully......

• 2 weeks later...

The class 121 railcars are also showing as September, however recent experience of other Dapol new model release advices is that the models arrive about 2 to 3 months later than the first date listed by Dapol. This has been the case this year with the class 68, class 122, IDA lowflats and MJA bogie boxes,so could be a nice Xmas present.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was looking at the Gaugemaster Dapol release information and some of the railcars are shown having a coreless motor whilst others have a 5pole skew wound motor. I'm sure they will be similar to the recent class 121/122 but does anyone know as I've searched the Dapol website with no success. For the record it doesn't bother me either way but useful to know - more for my own interest I guess!

They are shipping to the UK.. Why couldn't someone take a picture before putting them in the boxes! I'll wait for a review, but I'm quite tempted by one of these..[/quote

Update by Dapol, Joel Bright, on the Dapol Digest forum 3 days ago, advising production was complete and shipping in progress but slight delay at Chinese Customs for export

Expected despatch to UK retailers in an estimated 5 weeks.

My current plan for the ramjet/jbazooka is to cut it off, slim it down by removing standoff and refit.  Get some cling film and stretch over roof as appropriate.  Get some suitably coloured cotton thread lay over cling film in an appropriate route and dampen with varnish.  When dry, remove now hardened thread and cling film, replace cotton directly onto roof and use Klear or equivalent to fix in place.  Will this work?

Edited by MG 7305

My current plan for the ramjet/jbazooka is to cut it off, slim it down by removing standoff and refit.  Get some cling film and stretch over roof as appropriate.  Get some suitably coloured cotton thread lay over cling film in an appropriate route and dampen with varnish.  When dry, remove now hardened thread and cling film, replace cotton directly onto roof and use Klear or equivalent to fix in place.  Will this work?

That sounds most ingenious and all praise for thinking how to do something about it instead of making grumpy remarks. (I’m referring to myself, so no need to start a war.) It deserves to work. Please let us know if it does.

• RMweb Gold

If it were me.........

I would leave the `bazooka` alone as it is absolutely fine as it is.....particularly if you are getting the `1930` version as you need plenty of room underneath it to add the  `bazooka supports` clearly shown between the `roof vents/lights`

post-17779-0-98996600-1506264572_thumb.jpg

I would use fuse wire (packet of)...you can still get it....just..... as you will never get cotton thread to do what needs to be done....... and it will look wrong......

post-17779-0-26474500-1506264622_thumb.jpg

:no:

The pipe is easily altered, should you want too, it's up to the buyer. Of greater concern, if it can be called that, is a really decent set of seated passengers and driver figures.

For the cables on the roof I would suggest fine nickel silver wire, as it can be pre-formed to shape and hold the shape as it is fitted, something fuse wire might not do well. Once on it would be more resistant to handling as well. It also takes chemical blackening to save painting.

Has Dapol left of the straps across the roof under the cable pipe? it is unclear from the side views, again easy to prepare off the model, and then fit in place.

Not long to go before deliveries commence.....

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Now there's a new DCC idea - drivers that are visible only when you want them to be, ranks along with the ability to turn rear lights off when locos are hauling a train or units are in multiple. (Yes, I know some have the lights option, but many don't, including newly-tooled models released this year). You could add the rotating steam loco driver, so he can face the direction of travel when operating tender or bunker first.

• Like 1