A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Sorry chum I was with the lovely wife on the way to see new grand daughter. Rubbish 5 hour journey without detours.

attachicon.gif2017-12-15_19.05.01.jpg

Ah! Generally any Journey on the A1 is rubbish and can take 5 hours even with detours. It is sometimes easier to go another way but maybe not in the winter.

Enjoy the visit and ensure early indoctrination by using Thomas the Tank Engine techniques.

ATB

Philth.

• RMweb Gold

If I am given the authority i always go up the Roman Roads through Lincolnshire and over the Humber Bridge. Yesterday such authority was not forthcoming. Whichever way we go there's always the 2 hours of ancient british cart tracks to get out of Norfolk :(

Sorry chum I was with the lovely wife on the way to see new grand daughter. Rubbish 5 hour journey without detours.

attachicon.gif2017-12-15_19.05.01.jpg

Makes Christmas that bit more special eh Colin ?

It'll be my first Christmas with my first Grandson this year and I'm really looking forward to it.

Enjoy

Grahame

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Great news from Dapol......

Provided they rectify the blindingly obvious errors before they go to production.  I reckon they've rushed it and done exactly what they did originally with the GW railcar and finished up with something of a bitsa - at least as far as the prairie is concerned.  Right problem if them doing this announcement queers the pitch for someone else as we know that Hornby or Bachmann would inevitably have done a better job and might actually have looked at the real thing before starting their CADs.

Somehow I think an early 2019 prairie which needs an immediate visit from the modelling knife and find grade wet or dry paper isn't really what things are about nowadays.

Provided they rectify the blindingly obvious errors before they go to production.  I reckon they've rushed it and done exactly what they did originally with the GW railcar and finished up with something of a bitsa - at least as far as the prairie is concerned.  Right problem if them doing this announcement queers the pitch for someone else as we know that Hornby or Bachmann would inevitably have done a better job and might actually have looked at the real thing before starting their CADs.

Somehow I think an early 2019 prairie which needs an immediate visit from the modelling knife and find grade wet or dry paper isn't really what things are about nowadays.

Can't wait for a new thread to begin eh Mike !

Fight! Fight ! .......Blocked uuuuh !

H.Cooper

• RMweb Gold

I'd have preferred Bachmann as Hornby made a cheap cost cutting 72xx remember.

• RMweb Gold

Can't wait for a new thread to begin eh Mike !

Fight! Fight ! .......Blocked uuuuh !

H.Cooper

It will be 150 pages of utter tosh first, then the back biting starts with the trolls, next the Mods say stop being naughty, more pages utter tosh then finally the thread gets blocked,

why do people bother to go down this road is beyond me what a wonderful forum this is to allow it.  :jester:   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The thread seemed to be at the "I'need 463 of them, but in BR blue with double arrows so I'll have to wait and see if they do those in the next batch..."  stage last time I looked so there's still time to get a good seat...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not forbidden - I can't find the 2015 reissue online (although I'll have the paper copy somewhere no doubt) but it was still very much permitted in 2013 and certain moves would not take place today if it was forbidde,n as noted in this post -

Most of the old restrictions still apply as do - and definitely did in the 2013 reissue - most of the longstanding authorities to propel.  In the 2013 reissue propelling in Station Limits was still permitted - with no restriction on teh type of vehicles which could be proplled and, just as well, it was still permitted to propel back passenger trains which had overrun a station platform (although there is a distance limit on that(.

Just an update on this.  I have been going through the latest amendments to the Rule Book having finally got round to looking at the printed December 2017 reissues which arrived with me a couple of weeks ago and the situation regarding propelling, including propelling of loaded passenger vehicles has not changed at all.  Doing a check against the 1950 Rule Book the only changes affecting passenger trains have been in the updating of the wording and recognising developments in signalling and certain additions being made - the basic principles of the authorities for propelling at a station (i.e where the comment on this started) have not changed at all, and are in fact even the same as the mid 1930s issue of the RCH Rules.

However it can obviously be the case that at a location where propelling outside Station Limits was previously authorised it might no longer be authorised, and vice-versa.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perfect level of weathering, though a little disappointed someone else now has a wartime black Grange and 42xx.

It does make me think that I need to do some weathering on mine as soon as possible.

I agree and I'm a little peeved he actually does work for other people, the cheek of it.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Might be somewhere about the right length Brian but it needs a drawing to be sure and so far I haven't been able to find a drawing of an Insixfish.  In fact so far I can only find one halfway decent photo of one.

The only drawing I have seen is in Russell's Great Western Wagons Plan book. It's a copy of a BR drawing dated March 1948. It seems to be the same drawing as this one:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14842

The underframe has a 10'6" + 10'6" wheelbase with 3' 7.5" diameter wheels (coach wheels?) and lever handbrakes. Does anyone know how well this matches the Shapeways model https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y7HNL25Y2/00-gwr-sausage-van-chassis?optionId=59043520 (apart from the brakes which are DC)?

To build a model from this drawing would need some good photos. There is a good one here:

http://www.alextrack.co.uk/library/images/model_railways/2mm_finescale/non_passenger_carrying_coaching_stock/fish_vans_gwr_s13/fish_vans_gwr_s13_01_xlarge.jpg

but it doesn't show much roof detail. I haven't searched Paul Bartlett's archive yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

7804 Baydon Manor waits for the right of way on an up stopper to Exeter.

attachicon.gifManor CN.jpg

Copyright Chris Nevard / Model Rail.

Manor’s make’th man...

I wonder if a 78xx is on Dapol’s agenda with the forthcoming 43xx announced? ;)

Great shot of 7804 by CN...

• RMweb Gold

Might be somewhere about the right length Brian but it needs a drawing to be sure and so far I haven't been able to find a drawing of an Insixfish.  In fact so far I can only find one halfway decent photo of one.

There's one in the wagon bible.  :boast:

• RMweb Gold

The only drawing I have seen is in Russell's Great Western Wagons Plan book. It's a copy of a BR drawing dated March 1948. It seems to be the same drawing as this one:

Cor, my first ever post on RMWeb.

Nearly ten years ago and I'm still no further forward on my plans for that fish train.....

The underframe has a 10'6" + 10'6" wheelbase with 3' 7.5" diameter wheels (coach wheels?) and lever handbrakes. Does anyone know how well this matches the Shapeways model https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y7HNL25Y2/00-gwr-sausage-van-chassis?optionId=59043520 (apart from the brakes which are DC)?

To build a model from this drawing would need some good photos. There is a good one here:

http://www.alextrack.co.uk/library/images/model_railways/2mm_finescale/non_passenger_carrying_coaching_stock/fish_vans_gwr_s13/fish_vans_gwr_s13_01_xlarge.jpg

but it doesn't show much roof detail. I haven't searched Paul Bartlett's archive yet.

As might be surmised, the 6 wheel van did not enter service until after nationalisation. John Lewis did a couple of articles on GWR Fish Vans in GWRJ no 6 and 7, plenty of photos and drawings of some of the 4 wheel ones.