A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

And now for something completely different! Taken with due acknowledgement to the CRS

< Making use of its long platforms an up service from Penzance or Plymouth would stop on the platform line with its tail just beyond here. Then an additional portion from the Torbay line to be added would arrive. The locomotive from this portion would be removed via this crossover and the additional coaches propelled onto the eastbound train. This move, complete with passengers would not be permitted today. Copyright John Cornelius >

This explains my question better than I could ask, so why would this move not be permitted today, even if it were possible.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I believe, having overheard a massive row between a driver and a guard once, that the rule book forbids the propelling of loaded passenger vehicles.

Certainly permitted if you are (supposedly) asleep. Caledonian sleeper Edinburgh portion is propelled onto the back of the Glasgow portion at Carstairs. Similar goings on at Edinburgh with the highland sleeper.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

I believe, having overheard a massive row between a driver and a guard once, that the rule book forbids the propelling of loaded passenger vehicles.

Happened several times a day at Halwill Junction. The Bude portion would run round in the up platform and be drawn back onto the Bude line. The Padstow portion would then arrive and the Bude portion would be propelled onto the rear.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not forbidden - I can't find the 2015 reissue online (although I'll have the paper copy somewhere no doubt) but it was still very much permitted in 2013 and certain moves would not take place today if it was forbidde,n as noted in this post -

Certainly permitted if you are (supposedly) asleep. Caledonian sleeper Edinburgh portion is propelled onto the back of the Glasgow portion at Carstairs. Similar goings on at Edinburgh with the highland sleeper.

Paul.

Most of the old restrictions still apply as do - and definitely did in the 2013 reissue - most of the longstanding authorities to propel.  In the 2013 reissue propelling in Station Limits was still permitted - with no restriction on teh type of vehicles which could be proplled and, just as well, it was still permitted to propel back passenger trains which had overrun a station platform (although there is a distance limit on that(.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not forbidden

That probably explains why the driver in question was saying "I'm not going to be told what I can and can't do by some f#&*!@*ng boy guard." It seems he may have been in the right :)

So that takes us back to the original question by Brian in #27514 - Why would the moved described not be allowed today?

Edited by colin penfold

Rob.

Lovely picture of the area but please don't take this the wrong way but isn't the colour a bit too rich and intense?

I noticed that on an earlier picture as well but this one seems even stronger which, to me, is distracting from the excellent work you have done.

Looking at your own pictures they clearly show you have achieved a nice subdued and blended colour effect that works well together for all items that make up ANTB.

Have you tried toning it down?

• RMweb Gold

Rob.

Lovely picture of the area but please don't take this the wrong way but isn't the colour a bit too rich and intense?

I noticed that on an earlier picture as well but this one seems even stronger which, to me, is distracting from the excellent work you have done.

Looking at your own pictures they clearly show you have achieved a nice subdued and blended colour effect that works well together for all items that make up ANTB.

post-126-0-97468700-1512913480_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Rob.

Seems to be a fad with magazines in general these days, colour has to be overblown, exciting and in your face.

Working on the old Treneglos layout over the last few weekends reminded me that once the scenics were complete the whole lot received a dusting of grey spray paint to tone it all back. Much prefer the 'not in your face' presentation.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Happened several times a day at Halwill Junction. The Bude portion would run round in the up platform and be drawn back onto the Bude line. The Padstow portion would then arrive and the Bude portion would be propelled onto the rear.

Happened at Seaton Junction and Axminster. Maybe also Salisbury but I have not studied that.

• RMweb Premium

That probably explains why the driver in question was saying "I'm not going to be told what I can and can't do by some f#&*!@*ng boy guard." It seems he may have been in the right :)

So that takes us back to the original question by Brian in #27514 - Why would the moved described not be allowed today?

In theory many of the ecml journeys are propelled.

• RMweb Gold

In theory many of the ecml journeys are propelled.

No, a proper push-pull operation with a suitable driving compartment at the leading end does not count as propelling although obviously while travelling in one direction the prime mover would be pushing the coaching stock.

Going back to Colin's question it might depend on the place rather than anything else.  For instance attaching portions was everyday working at Plymouth and Newton Abbot (and Exeter Central for followers of the green railway) but Newton is very unlikely to be signalled for such moves today and I'm not sure to what extent they might still be possible at Plymouth.

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly there was a service from Sheffield at 36E Lower that terminated and then ran forward to trailing x over then reversed to become a Sheffield service. No passengers were allowed to stay on whilst it did this. I know cause I asked if I could once just for the experience.

• Like 1

In view of the possible hibernation and in view of the success of the COT, perhaps another anachronism in the form of a 4-4-0 County appearing on a Christmas 'special' .

No laughing - they're one of my favourite engines! :yes:  :yes:

Brian