Ask Dave

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi dave after watching the news am sure yourself and others are aware of the price of oil has dropped like a stone and may yet fall even furthe. With prediction stay low for the next 3 year's.

I was wondering if this come as a bit of a relief and will help you balance your numbers much more. Or does the cost of oil have litte affect in the cost. Thinking of oil = plastic mainly rather than shipping.

Edited by farren

Dave

I was wondering what size sound chip and speaker would fit the OO model of the J94 that I have on pre-order.

I normally use Zimo MX648R (9pin plug or bare wire equivalent the MX648) and sugar cube speakers 10x15x11mm (or if space is tight 10x15x9mm). The sugar cube enclosures are just for convenience in fitting into non DCC ready locos or small DCC ready Bachmanns that make no allowance for sound and speakers - I have a few legless drivers and firemen!

Advice for pre-planning and purchasing would be appreciated. Then I can be ready to roll ........

• 4 months later...

Hi Dave

Is there any news on the Southern 1 Co Co 1 diesel project with Kernow Models please ?

Thanks

Hi, as this is a Kernow project, you need to be asking them I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Zero

There’s a phrase called ‘building your part too much’, and I hope I havn’t done that here, but I’m sure you will tell me.

2 Years ago today I resigned from what I considered was a dream job for life. Amongst other reasons, I was ill, tired and ultimately needed the change.

Soon after my leaving, I decided that my path for the future was clear to me and started DJModels.

With this announcement came the realisation that a great deal of capital was needed and as such, owning a house and living in another, I capitalised on this and sold the property to allow my dream to become reality.

Subsequently upon hearing of my leaving, various companies and factories contacted me either through here by PM or on my private e-mail address, offering support, encouragement and work. This relationship continues to grow 2 years on, with more clients coming to the fore almost every week and more factories lining up to work for DJM.

My first announcements were made in September of that year, with all the good intentions of ploughing through and getting them out within a year to 18 months. However in my pursuit of getting the biggest return from tooling ,I decided early on that I wanted lots of versions to be made available of the OO gauge J94. As they not only carried many liveries, but had different chimneys, cab, bunker styles etc.

This immediately more than doubled my tooling costs to over 6 figures which I obviously wasn’t expecting at the outset. To pay for this, the N gauge 17, 23 and J94 were completed in cad/cam design and were / are just awaiting the funds to start tooling. I had hoped to have them on display at the Tings show but alas this is not to be, but I’m hoping Warley this year might be a good one in that regard.

Subsequently announcing the Q6, the Hudwell Clarke tank, and other loco’s on a 2 year plan may still prove adventurous, but the Q6 and H.C. are in design, as is the Mogul.

I have with regret decided to drop the class 59 in both gauges as I could get nowhere with one of the livery companies to the extent that they ended up not even answering my mails. This one is a shame as third party funds were there to bring this to fruition within a contracted (if it went ahead) 12 months.

I hope everyone who expressed an interest understands, but if I cannot get permission for 2 of the most popular liveries then the project is a dead duck. Subsequently I will delete all the Class 59 expressions of interest, and you all have my sincere apologies.

OK, now the good news…………….

The J94, as mentioned on my website’s timeline page is currently being painted with deco samples for approval. Once done, production can start and I have a slot pencilled in for delivery just before Christmas, and I would urge you to pre order one with a DJM stockist soon. It is worth mentioning again that non DJM stockists will not be able to get the J94 production models from the first batch as it is being made to order. Anyone that becomes a DJM stockist by October will be able to order form the first run.

Running numbers / livery variants of the first run will not be re-run.

I hope that the J94 being finished and delivered will release the funds for the tooling of the Class 23 and 17 in N gauge, and allow for tooling to complete for unveiling around the March 2016 Ally Pally show in London.

The Class 71 This locomotive will make it’s first public viewing in painted RTR form at the Fareham Show on 3rd / 4th October 2015, and there is still time to pre-order a model and get the special packaging, certificated ‘crowd sourced’ model or models of this locomotive. These running numbers and liveries will not be repeated by DJM as I believe that the words ‘limited edition’ should mean just that.

Variants in colour, detail and headcodes will be added to the Kernow site for clarity within the next 2 weeks, so you then can alter your choice or commit, if needs be, to another model.

Once the N gauge loco’s are out, attention will then go to tooling the O gauge 23 and J94 models.

It is my intention to keep prices as published for these, and they will run in tandem with the finalising of the OO/N gauge second release models (Hudswell Clarke, Mogul, Q6 etc).

I cannot, for confidentiality reasons talk about my known outside commissions, but I can say that I now have 3 new clients (currently remaining anonymous) that I am working with on various projects and I have managed to secure a very good deal where I am able (despite having said I wont announce anything for a couple of years) to let you all know that I am working on 2 x OO wagons and 4 x N gauge wagons to be released commercially under the DJM brand. This could quite easily fit into a production schedule for a release within 18 months from now. Sorry, but at this time I will not divulge what they are, but think that there are people out there that will want these commercially available wagons by the bucket load.

I am looking at the possibility of producing these as singles, clean or weathered. Twin packs with different numbers , clean or weathered, and 6 pack sets with 6 alternate numbers as weathered sets. All weathering will be done using masters created from those experts of weathering, Mercig Studios.

So the near future is rather interesting regarding the rude health of DJM along with clients projects.

I’m sure there are many questions that you will want answering, so please, if it’s not covered here, feel free to ask them on the ‘ask Dave’ section of DJModels on RMweb.

No doubt there will still be those that think this is still all a pipe dream irrespective of tangible models being seen, run, held etc, and wish me no good thoughts at all. However The Fun Boy Three said it best when they said…..

“I see a clinic full of cynics, who want to twist the people’s wrist. Their watching every move we make, we’re all included on their list!” Quite apt methinks.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Dave

DJModels Ltd

• Like 8

There’s a phrase called ‘building your part too much’, and I hope I havn’t done that here, but I’m sure you will tell me.

Dave, I'm quite sure people will.

Good luck.

I look forward to hearing more about the wagons in good time.

• Like 1

Hi Dave

A full and informative update. It is no surprise that your services are in demand. Your 00 J94 looks superb and I am sure the N one will be equally good.

Personally (as you know) it is the N Claytons that I am keenly waiting for, but I can see you are making progress towards them which is excellent news.

All I can say is ignore the "naysayers" and keep up the good work.

All the best

Roy

• Like 1

Dave said : "OO wagons. . . possibility of producing these as . . . 6-pack sets with 6 alternative numbers as weathered sets."

Does this mean there will be six different weathering masters made - i.e. will there be six weathering variations?

Thanks.

Pete M.

Dave said : "OO wagons. . . possibility of producing these as . . . 6-pack sets with 6 alternative numbers as weathered sets."

Does this mean there will be six different weathering masters made - i.e. will there be six weathering variations?

Thanks.

Pete M.

Hi Pete,

yes, more than probable as being a modeller, i hate the same weathering throughout a block train (or a block of wagons)

cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Any idea, to within a generation or two either side :) when the wagons will be announced?

All the very best

Les

I'm thinking of a "best guess quarter" rather than "when the first tooling appears"...

Edited by Les1952

A shame about the 59s, but understandable.  I might have to put the funds towards another Kernow/DJM 117 or 118 instead!  Looking forward to seeing the J94 and 71.

An interesting update; great to see what's involved behind-the-scenes.

Many congratulations on the anniversary and thanks for the detailed update.  It's a really brave move you've made, but I'm sure your business will flourish - you clearly have (and deserve) the respect and support of a great many in the modelling community.  Having said that, no doubt there'll be a post some time tomorrow evening bemoaning the lack of a progress report within the last 24 hours ... vapourware ... blah blah blah.

Really looking forward to many of your plans coming to fruition ... although I note, once again, you've mystifyingly failed to announce the release date of the N gauge 71.  It's just as well (although many of you may not know this) that the J94 was in fact one of the most successful and ubiquitous small locos in the BR(S) roster .... especially Mercig's weathered version.

M

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the open 'letter' as it were explaining how things are. You said that after the J94 was completed you'd move onto tooling the N gauge 23 and 17, is that for when the OO J94 is done, or when both the OO and N J94 are done? (I only ask as there was no other mention of the N J94 timeframe).

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the full and frank update Dave.

I know of no-one else in the hobby / business who has grasped the nettle so firmly with both hands and followed their passion and belief in themselves and their product.  The personal financial risk alone must be very substantial knowing that there had to be a lead time of (an intended) 18 months when the funds all go one way.

To the vapourware merchants might I ask how much they have put on the line in support of the hobby and to further the notional needs and whims of others?  If this is all "hot air" then go along and enjoy the display of that while others are salivating over the class 71.  And take a look at the imminent releases by one of Dave's commission clients based in Cornwall which have already been seen and admired in painted sample form by several among us.

• Like 3