Ask Dave

DJM Dave

I would hazard a guess that the recipe for new models consists of a base of "not yet available" mixed with a generous quantity of "will it be likely to sell well" and seasoned with a dash of Rule #1. ;)

But the best criteria is always 'something that you never knew you've alway wanted'.

• Like 3

My apologies if it has been asked before Dave, but what process do you go through in deciding what products to produce? (outside of commissions that is)

Hi mate,

Pretty much as described by Matt and Bill really,

Plus a sixth sense / gut feeling.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that would be telling but I did take pictures of loco's and stock and 2 signal boxes, and a footbridge and and and ;-)

Yes.Me too including this beauty.

post-126-0-36342800-1407335654_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Not sure whether to post here or in the well tank section,apologies if I chose the wrong one.

I am excited by the prospect of further well tank releases but disappointed that none have Southern lettering and all appear to be BR.

Would it be possible to release loco's in a painted but unnumbered/unidentified state with or without transfers to allow us to individualise them?

Obviously this is not solely a suggestion for the well tank but could be rolled out across the range.

Kind regards

Nik

Edited by Spannerman

Hi Dave

Not sure whether to post here or in the well tank section,apologies if I chose the wrong one.

I am excited by the prospect of further well tank releases but disappointed that none have Southern lettering and all appear to be BR.

Would it be possible to release loco's in a painted but unnumbered/unidentified state with or without transfers to allow us to individualise them?

Obviously this is not solely a suggestion for the well tank but could be rolled out across the range.

Kind regards

Nik

Hi Nik,

Sorry but the Beattie is a Kernow Model Centre model, fully owned by Kernow themselves.

I merely facilitate their orders and import for them.

You will have to contact them regarding liveries etc.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Do you get weekly/monthly feedback from your retailers to inform you of the numbers of pre-orders they have taken? Is this feedback used in addition to the 'express your interest' section on your website giving you a more accurate idea of the amount of product you need to manufacture?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Good question.

When the J94 is almost ready for production I'll send out order forms to stockist who have been taking orders / pre-orders since they 'came on board'.

To this I'll add my direct sale 'expressions of interest' and a small percentage to cover emergencies, and that's it.

No one stockist will be able to turn up late at the party and order xxx once they are ordered from China, as I'll only be fully supporting all those that currently, or up to the time order forms go out, support me.

This will allow for no over production, and allow me and my stockists to judge further orders of alternate versions etc in future.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Paul,

Good question.

When the J94 is almost ready for production I'll send out order forms to stockist who have been taking orders / pre-orders since they 'came on board'.

To this I'll add my direct sale 'expressions of interest' and a small percentage to cover emergencies, and that's it.

No one stockist will be able to turn up late at the party and order xxx once they are ordered from China, as I'll only be fully supporting all those that currently, or up to the time order forms go out, support me.

This will allow for no over production, and allow me and my stockists to judge further orders of alternate versions etc in future.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

It does indeed help cheers. Im lucky to be in a position where I have pre-ordered 2 x Q6, a Hudswell Clarke and a J94

as one order from KernowMRC and wanted to be sure doing it as one order meant all 4 items would be accounted for in your production run.

Thanks Again

Paul

Hello Dave,

Just to pick up on "Steve, Model Railway Imports", earlier message regarding retailers. I asked my local model shop (AC Models) if they intended to stock DJM in the future and they did send you an e-mail, shortly after the recent Class 59/71 anouncements.  Can I just ensure that they are on your "To do" list, as I am always keen to support my local retailer, while they still exist on the high street.  Contact is info@acmodelseastleigh.co.uk and I'm sure Annette would love to hear from you.....thanks and good luck with these new products.....Rich.

Hi Dave,

First of all well done on your first year anniversary, good to see you doing well and models coming to the market now :sungum:

Earlier in the threat you mentioned about AC locos and units and you saying that you didn't think they wouldn't come far, been an a N gauge modeller and with the hopeful Kick start on the forum looking at getting underway regarding the Pendolino, do you thing this will spark more interest from both customers and the manufactures to start creating and working more on the AC side of life to bring out more and better models in regards to Electrics and the OHLE?

While I totally appreciate the economics of it all and lets face it not every class will every be made into a model, do you think it will make people especially in the manufacturing side look more seriously if people are using kick starts to bring in these models?

I ask as I appreciate a lot of people still do steam and well remember steam on the mainline everyday but as time goes on there will be people like myself who only ever see steam on specials and preserved railways and are looking for models from when we were kids (well still a big kid in my case) and the norm was the likes of Regional railways 37s on the North Wales holiday trains and 304s doing the local runs between Altrincham and Crewe all passing through Manchester Piccadilly. (Can you tell I was an 80s child?)

Edited by acko22

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Will the forthcoming 59 be capable of having switched tail-lights? Either using the four functions of a "normal" 21 pin decoder (actually 6 outputs of the likes of an ESU 21 pin, including the two unamplified outputs), or via the pluX range that support more than four functions. or will we have to use a switch mounted underneath the loco?

It was originally announced that the Dapol 73 would be fitted with a pluX socket - is it your intention to follow the pluX route or stick with 21 pin for your projects?

If there has to be a compromise on either switched tail-lights or switched cab lights, I know which I prefer...........!

Cheers,

Mick

Hello Dave,

Great news on seeing the collaboration with Didcot Railway Centre in bringing GWR 1363 and her sisters to the RTR market!! I have pre-ordered both GWR examples and I look forward to seeing them alongside several other items of yours...

With the Didcot collaboration in mind, might this possibly lead to you working with other preserved railways such the Severn Valley Railway or Bluebell?  It would great to see someone take up the more unusual engines such as Kitson 1338 or Port Talbot 813 to name a few.

Garethp8873.

Hi Dave

I noticed at the end of last week that the Kernow Model D600 Warship project thread is now linked to the DJ Models subject matter, but I haven't seen anything from Kernow to confirm that a manufacturing contract is now in place. They announced last week that the master model had been completed in the UK and had been shipped to Hong Kong for CAD design work to start, which indicates that the design and manufacturing of the model has started. Are DJ Models now organising this project, it will be good news if you are, as someone with a 4 year old pre-order it was brilliant news to hear last week that the project had moved to a point where a final model was in sight and could be after the O2 in production

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi dave after looking at your website you're be pleased to hear I have sucum to one of your delights in the form of Q6

I have to admit I am still going through all the web page's so you may have already answered this question. But do you have plans in the future for rolling stock or are you planning on concentrating on just locos