Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

You can always put any unwanted ones onto a well known auction site and use the income to buy more applicable ones (or just leave some prototypical gaps....)

Are there any online images of them yet, as Bachmann doesn't seem to have a proper website at the mo?

Can anyone remember the last estimated date of arrival for the FFG/FFA? (Subject to revision, without prejudice, based on the latest prediction from Russell Grant, with all the usual caveats, an estimated date of arrival is not a guarantee of future performance, etc) I've tried searching the forums in vain, the Bachmann website has ceased to be, and Hatton's soothsayer has gone into rehab after all the chopping and changing of delivery estimates so I'm struggling a bit. I could swear I saw a fairly recent list of delivery guesstimates but the search facility is saying no. Sometime towards the end of the Summer is ringing a bell (mind you that would mean the second week of April here in Fairbourne which is a tad optimistic.)

• RMweb Gold

Am I reading this right that they are only doing ISO boxes and not the earlier type?

Which leads me to another question when did they start running ISO boxes? I was hoping to run an 8 set of the original boxes with a BS as guards accommodation

Am I reading this right that they are only doing ISO boxes and not the earlier type?

Which leads me to another question when did they start running ISO boxes? I was hoping to run an 8 set of the original boxes with a BS as guards accommodation

Looking at the lists of build dates for containers in 'Freightliner- Life and Times', the first builds seem to have been in 1966. I think the initial builds may have been both top lifts (via Twistlocs) and bottom lift, using pockets.

Looking at the lists of build dates for containers in 'Freightliner- Life and Times', the first builds seem to have been in 1966. I think the initial builds may have been both top lifts (via Twistlocs) and bottom lift, using pockets.

HI All

Containers to ISO standards were settled in 1968 with the standards being accepted.

The first batchs of FFA FGA wagons did not have the spigot point but had them retro fitted there after..

Regards Arran

HI All

Containers to ISO standards were settled in 1968 with the standards being accepted.

The first batchs of FFA FGA wagons did not have the spigot point but had them retro fitted there after..

Regards Arran

Any pictures of early pre 66  containers showing different features, what are the spigot points.

• RMweb Gold

Any pictures of early pre 66  containers showing different features, what are the spigot points.

They had circular sockets about 2in diameter inboard of the side frames

There was a twin set at Parkeston for many years it had the remains of its air locking system on it.

The sockets had small bars over them to prevent use

The twist locks looked to be a retro fit

• RMweb Premium

You can always put any unwanted ones onto a well known auction site and use the income to buy more applicable ones (or just leave some prototypical gaps....)

That's where my Hornby KFA containers/tanktainers went..........

And probably my FGA boxes when I get a pair to convert to FDA or maybe FJAs if I'm feeling adventurous.......

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to whet the appetite ahead of the Bachmann model, three of my tarted-up Triang-Hornby units:

post-6720-0-57484300-1522165252_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-15848600-1522165275_thumb.jpg

post-6720-0-02944300-1522165300_thumb.jpg

Having done eight units with the full S-kits detailing and bogie lowering, I'm now working back through the rake

by cutting away the underframe and reinstating with plastic card and micro-strip. This takes about one evening

per vehicle, and also includes the addition of brass reinforcing strips to add a degree of rigidity. It's not all that

accurate or carefully done but once painted, and lost in the gloom under the vehicle, the general impression is

OK, I reckon. I've now started fixing the C-Rail containers on permanently, as well, as with the first two units.

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Just kindly been able to have a look over one of these at DEMU Showcase by Bachmann. Look very sharp indeed, nice representation of the disc brakes (and discs too) and a decent amount of weight to the chassis too.

The flats did look quite nice through the glass. Containers weren't bad either, I might be wrong, but the 20s looked to be 8'6" rather than their previous 8'9" that they used on their FIA pairs, which is good.

Just to whet the appetite ahead of the Bachmann model, three of my tarted-up Triang-Hornby units:

attachicon.gifffa_1.jpg

attachicon.gifffa_2.jpg

attachicon.gifffa_3.jpg

Having done eight units with the full S-kits detailing and bogie lowering, I'm now working back through the rake

by cutting away the underframe and reinstating with plastic card and micro-strip. This takes about one evening

per vehicle, and also includes the addition of brass reinforcing strips to add a degree of rigidity. It's not all that

accurate or carefully done but once painted, and lost in the gloom under the vehicle, the general impression is

OK, I reckon. I've now started fixing the C-Rail containers on permanently, as well, as with the first two units.

How do you weigh them down? I have new wheels and all sorts, but it took weight to stop them flying off at every curve

• RMweb Gold

How do you weigh them down? I have new wheels and all sorts, but it took weight to stop them flying off at every curve

They've got brass strips built into the underframe, mainly to countreract the sag a bit, but a side effect was to add a bit more weight. From

my experience, though, the main cause of derailments (with the scale wheels etc) was due to my home-made couplings needing a bit

of adjustment. The containers help to add a bit more weight as well, and mine are fixed down permanently.