Bachmann FFA/FGA early container flats

Andy Y

Bachmann have posted an updated availability spreadsheet on their website in mid Aug. They are showing the FFA/FGA in the shipping company liveries as August arrival and the Freightliner liveries as Sept for the outers and Oct for the inners.

Received this response from Bachmann:

Good afternoon Mr Bage,

Thank you for contacting Bachmann regarding the Freightliner wagons.  I am sorry to hear that you have previously had pre-orders not completed and can understand your concern. 

Just to clarify in order to run the formation you describe below you will need 9 x 38-626 (inner) and 3 x 38-625 (outer).  

A check of our expected stock against order numbers indicates that at current levels all supplier orders should be met in full, with a surplus for any follow up orders, although I am sure you are aware that order levels may increase going forwards. 

With reference to your concern over the potential for surplus inners with no available outers we plan our production according to market conditions and consumer demand so if the demand exists we will certainly consider further production runs. 

Please feel free to contact us again should you have further queries. 

Kind regards,

Karen.

Karen Richardson
Consumer Services Officer

Bachmann Europe PLC

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Twin is £99, Single is £50.

5x car set is £250, 15x car set is £750.

It’s not £9.99 a wagon anymore, I doubt the rush will be as big as it used to be a few years ago.

Edited by adb968008

I wonder if Bachmann have realised that the requirement of outers to inners will be less (for prototype 5-wagon sets) and we will end up with another Mk2 BSO glut scenario ??

Edit - inner & outer reversed so it now doesn't sound like I am talking my usual ###### .................

Edited by Southernman46

Only time will tell.

Only after 1 pair of outers and 2 inners, pre ordered with local shop, so something's gone very wrong if I don't manage that. If excess inners end up at reduced prices in the future then it may be worth stocking up and adding 3d print buffers (I think there's a couple of different buffer beam designs for the outers, could be a cheaper route to some variations).

Was there actually some eight sets then?

There may have been, but there are very few 60s photos where it is possible to identify the sets.

I have been able to identify a 12-set a 10-set and some sets that are more than 5, along with shorter 2-sets and 3-sets.

Do you know that there were actually any 4-sets or 5-sets in the 60s.

• RMweb Gold

I’m just hoping that my ordered and paid for 25 vehicles all arrive!

Andi

Hope you have mortgage arranged Andi! Am clearing my credit card.....

2 rakes of 5 for us - 4 outers, 6 inners

See you at CMC....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

There may have been, but there are very few 60s photos where it is possible to identify the sets.

I have been able to identify a 12-set a 10-set and some sets that are more than 5, along with shorter 2-sets and 3-sets.

Do you know that there were actually any 4-sets or 5-sets in the 60s.

The general consensus seems to be the domestic sets were five when first built

In the 80s when I was working with them there were odd five sets but if my memory is correct there seemed to be more four sets

The general consensus seems to be the domestic sets were five when first built

In the 80s when I was working with them there were odd five sets but if my memory is correct there seemed to be more four sets

I'm going with the general consensus when built. 3 sets of 5. 

Why the demand for more outers, don't know why Bachmann are doing so few 20ft containers freightliner, hope these will be available

as packs of three, I have asked Bachmann to produce these  they say will monitor the demand so pester them for these.

Why the demand for more outers, don't know why Bachmann are doing so few 20ft containers freightliner, hope these will be available

as packs of three, I have asked Bachmann to produce these  they say will monitor the demand so pester them for these.

Will do.

• RMweb Gold

as packs of three, I have asked Bachmann to produce these they say will monitor the demand so pester them for these.

I suspect the reason for the former leads to profit from the latter. Similarly costs of the former, is 1 container less in the package than the latter. I suspect that demand for the wagon, outstrips demand for the container on the wagon.

I’ve seen one of these old freightliner liveried containers around recently in the London area, on the deck in a yard I just can’t remember where, I know I’ve seen it a couple of times in the last year or so.

Edited by adb968008

Hmmmmm.....  Just checked these out on Hattons' page, and although I can't justify any (sadly), I am also confused as to why the inner has two 30' boxes, when the 20-footers were (at least they seemed to be) far more prolific when I saw them running around during my childhood.  Surely the twin pack of outers would have been a better bet for 3 x 20' and 2 x 30' with the inners being triples.  Ho-hum. 

Edited by 'CHARD

Hmmmmm.....  Just checked these out on Hattons' page, and although I can't justify any (sadly), I am also confused as to why the inner has two 30' boxes, when the 20-footers were (at least they seemed to be) far more prolific when I saw them running around during my childhood.  Surely the twin pack of outers would have been a better bet for 3 x 20' and 2 x 30' with the inners being triples.  Ho-hum. 

The 30' boxes wouldn't appear until the move to ISO norms; the longest container that could be conveyed by road at the time was 27' long.

The 30' boxes wouldn't appear until the move to ISO norms; the longest container that could be conveyed by road at the time was 27' long.

Brian

There cannot have been long between the introduction of Freightliners as a fleet and the introduction of 30ft containers. Do you know when this was? Presumably either 1965 or 6. Silsbury only mentions 152 27ft boxes and 42 opens. There is an experimental M as built in 1965, and a number of othre 30ft boxes and opens in 1966.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Brian

There cannot have been long between the introduction of Freightliners as a fleet and the introduction of 30ft containers. Do you know when this was? Presumably either 1965 or 6. Silsbury only mentions 152 27ft boxes and 42 opens. There is an experimental M as built in 1965, and a number of othre 30ft boxes and opens in 1966.

Paul

Hi Paul and all

Wasn't the introduction of 27 ft containers due to the then restrictions on road trailer sizes. The railways was aware of the changes that were to come where  the trailer size was going to be increased to 30ft hence the future need for railway wagons to carry the future 30ft container was the met with the introduction of 60 ft wagons carrying 27 ft containers to start with. The first 30ft containers were not built with ISO fixing points but the freightliner system. 

Hi Paul and all

Wasn't the introduction of 27 ft containers due to the then restrictions on road trailer sizes. The railways was aware of the changes that were to come where  the trailer size was going to be increased to 30ft hence the future need for railway wagons to carry the future 30ft container was the met with the introduction of 60 ft wagons carrying 27 ft containers to start with. The first 30ft containers were not built with ISO fixing points but the freightliner system. 

As Brian said in his posting. But there must have been a date when this was altered by parliament. It is before the EEC membership, but presumably the government agreed to change in line with international conventions.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

As Brian said in his posting. But there must have been a date when this was altered by parliament. It is before the EEC membership, but presumably the government agreed to change in line with international conventions.

Paul

Hi Paul

A quick search shows the 1964 Construction and Use Regulations allowed for an increase in trailer size from 26 ft to 33ft. Overall lengths were 35ft, (tractor and trailer) to 13 m (42ft 73/4ins).  In 1968 the overall length of tractor and trailer was increased to 15m, this permitted 40 ft containers to be used.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/written-answers/1964/jul/01/commercial-vehicles-construction-and-use

Hi Paul and all

Clive,

It was due to the limits on overall length of tractor and trailer rigs. There was one tractor unit that could be coupled to a 30' trailer and remain legal, but for the life of me, I can't remember which (Scammell Highwayman, perhaps?). The same legislation made it impracticable to have bonneted tractors, despite them being easier to maintain.

The legislation is the 'Road Vehicles ('Construction and Use) Regulations', still in use and regularly updated. There are still limits on train-length, though obviously more liberal. Denby Transport (who haul a lot of tyres, a bulky but light load) were reminded of this when they trialled a rig consisting of a tractor,40' artic trailer, and a second draw-bar trailer, without discussing it with the D of T first.