Hornby ex LSWR/SR Adams 0415 Radial

steventrain

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

About time too. I nearly gave up and went for the Oxford one.

With respect....six months is a mere blink of an eye in terms of delivery times in the world we inhabit.Having seen examples of both Adams tanks at the NEC last November,the wait has been no hardship.

With respect....six months is a mere blink of an eye in terms of delivery times in the world we inhabit.Having seen examples of both Adams tanks at the NEC last November,the wait has been no hardship.

The painted samples were on the Engine Shed blog a long time before the class 71, and good few others. Despite having competition, and then even often being ahead of the rival during development, it appears at least 6 after the first release and a good few months after all the rivals releases.

My comment is therefore, despite all the early advances, what happened at the last hurdle? It might be too little too late for some at this stage.

• RMweb Gold

The painted samples were on the Engine Shed blog a long time before the class 71, and good few others. Despite having competition, and then even often being ahead of the rival during development, it appears at least 6 after the first release and a good few months after all the rivals releases.

My comment is therefore, despite all the early advances, what happened at the last hurdle? It might be too little too late for some at this stage.

Well,we can't answer that quite obviously but I made my mind up some seven months ago and nothing that I have seen from Oxford Rail in the interim has remotely encouraged me to buy in preference to Hornby's version arriving next week.I suspect I am not alone.

Are we not fortunate to be getting it in any case considering Hornby's present woes ? Better late....if it really is late.....than never.

Well,we can't answer that quite obviously but I made my mind up some seven months ago and nothing that I have seen from Oxford Rail in the interim has remotely encouraged me to buy in preference to Hornby's version arriving next week.I suspect I am not alone.

Are we not fortunate to be getting it in any case considering Hornby's present woes ? Better late....if it really is late.....than never.

Yes I,ve waited this version with abated breath too seeing it is superior rather than buying the Oxford LSWR one. Still Oxford gets an order for EKR and sound.

• RMweb Gold

IF it all goes to plan, then we have four more days to wait until they arrive.....

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

IF it all goes to plan,(clearly not as was the case in my first attempt to post!!)....then we have four more days to wait until they arrive.....

Rob.

post-14122-0-76806000-1467521023.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

WhooooooooooooooooooooòooooooooooooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrŕrrrrrrrrgģghhhhhhhh!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping to buy a Hornby 71 this month and may still do so if finances permit.

I have wanted a Adams tank for more years than can remember at least since I walked from Lyme Regis to the Cannington viaduct (disused) in 1974 .   Tempted, by the various kits over the years, but could never afford them or have the time to build them!

Took the plunge today and ordered a late crest version from Hornby - it really does look the business - glad  I waited.

Cheers,

Aidan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The 3 versions LSWR, and BR early and BR late emblem, were in stock today in Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh, so they have reached the retail trade.

John

• RMweb Gold

Do we know when the pack with the coaches is likely to be here?

The R3398 train pack (30583 in E/c + 2-coach set) is AFAIK in the second wave of releases and is listed by Hatton's as due "on or after 3rd December".

John

• RMweb Gold

Just given one of the three a nice little test run (why no pictures of the other 2 - they're all identical). Runs beautifully and silky is smooth (much like the Class 71), there's no crabbing when it comes out of bends and will happily go a slow crawl.

Haulage wise, I tried it with my rake of 12 wheel Pullmans and observation car (6 coaches in total) and it could pull them until it came to a gradient - then it just sat there wheels spinning. It's been quite happy going round my layout with my Maunsell Pull-Push set in tow with no issues what-so-ever, I will add a couple more Maunsells to see what it can do.

• Like 1