KERNOW TODAY

What will happen when the semaphores disappear; colour lights will not have the same effect. Pictures where this has happened already lose out because of the lack of signals and other railway infrastructure. Of course, they do have overhead wires! :sarcastichand:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

How many shots has that down home appeared in I wonder ??

Technically, that's the Down Starter (LD33), as it's on the further side of the signal box. There is also a Down Advanced Starter - LD32 - which for sighting purposes is located in the Up cess. The Down Starter is LD34, which is located just before the east-end crossover, on the approach to the signal box from the Plymouth direction. There is also a Down Outer Home - LD32, located at 264m 20ch, some 46 chains from the signal box.

• RMweb Premium

Technically, that's the Down Starter (LD33), as it's on the further side of the signal box. There is also a Down Advanced Starter - LD32 - which for sighting purposes is located in the Up cess. The Down Starter is LD34, which is located just before the east-end crossover, on the approach to the signal box from the Plymouth direction. There is also a Down Outer Home - LD32, located at 264m 20ch, some 46 chains from the signal box.

Tim, are you sure? Isn't LD34 the Down Inner Home and LD35 the Down Outer Home (where's winterbournecm when you need him?)?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a bit worrying to see the 57 and 08 behind a not to be moved sign hope the 57 is not broken again?

It was certainly OK this afternoon, seen pounding up through Liskeard at full chat towing that dead HST set towards Plymouth.

Makes a change for a 57 to be rescuing an HST, normally its the other way round.

Edited by Gary H
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tim, are you sure? Isn't LD34 the Down Inner Home and LD35 the Down Outer Home (where's winterbournecm when you need him?)?

Yes, you're quite right, the reference to LD32 is just a combination of type and 'senior moment!'

LD35 is the Down Outer Home, located at 264m 20ch.

LD34, the Down Inner Home is located at 264m 60ch.

• RMweb Gold

It was certainly OK this afternoon, seen pounding up through Liskeard at full chat towing that dead HST set towards Plymouth.

Makes a change for a 57 to be rescuing an HST, normally its the other way round.

Yes, I was up in InterCity House yesterday when that approached Plymouth station. By the time I looked out of the western-side window, all I could see was the rear of the HST, but I did think it sounded a bit odd for an HST...

I then looked out of the other side of the building a bit later and all was revealed, seeing the ensemble depart the station once it had a path to Laira.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, you're quite right, the reference to LD32 is just a combination of type and 'senior moment!'

LD35 is the Down Outer Home, located at 264m 20ch.

LD34, the Down Inner Home is located at 264m 60ch.

Thanks Tim. At least it wasn't sausage fingers.

• Like 1

With an unusually good forecast on Saturday morning, I decided to battle my way through the holiday traffic for a shot of the the FGW loco-hauled at Trenowth between Grampound Road and Burngullow. Unfortunately a shortage of traincrew meant the 57 never left Penzance, so all I came away with was this shot (taken using a 5m pole) of 43131 leading 1A83, the 0954 Penzance - Paddington. As time is running out for both the FGW purple livery and the HSTs, such views are definitely worth recording. 

post-694-0-70391800-1439296276_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

That's what was sad in the seventies when the HSTs appeared on the scene, probably the last British influenced train set.  Since then designs from all over the world have graced our tracks; hard to tell one from another some of the time but that was also said about the many DMUs and EMUs all over the place.  Similar trains can be seen in many parts of the world including 'our network' nowadays.  So be thankful for the American locos and BR heritage units that are running on the railway. At least they're different!

Brian

With an unusually good forecast on Saturday morning, I decided to battle my way through the holiday traffic for a shot of the the FGW loco-hauled at Trenowth between Grampound Road and Burngullow. Unfortunately a shortage of traincrew meant the 57 never left Penzance, so all I came away with was this shot (taken using a 5m pole) of 43131 leading 1A83, the 0954 Penzance - Paddington. As time is running out for both the FGW purple livery and the HSTs, such views are definitely worth recording. 

attachicon.gifTrenowth-HST.jpg

Lovely shot Keith, especially the way it demonstrates the 'super elevation' or 'can't'! Thanks for sharing it with us,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Been out of the county again, photographing real trains!!

attachicon.gifTPOD2 small (22).jpeg

I did grab this one on the way to a wedding on Saturday evening. 1V54 was over an hour which fell into place with a location I've had my eye on for some time.

attachicon.gifgossmoor (12).jpeg

Nice photos Craig. I really like the class 70's. They remind of the 58's!

• RMweb Gold

No.  

While I'm not sure which signals still survive as semaphores on that side of Liskeard 'box on the Down No.35 was/is the Home Signal and No.34 was/is the Inner Home Signal.  The GWR stopped using  the term 'Outer Home' a very long time ago and the Western Region never used it as far as I have been able to trace.   The outermost Home Signal on the Western is/was exactly that - the Home Signal, however far it might be in rear of the next stop signal at the signalbox which works it.

• RMweb Premium

No.  

While I'm not sure which signals still survive as semaphores on that side of Liskeard 'box on the Down No.35 was/is the Home Signal and No.34 was/is the Inner Home Signal.  The GWR stopped using  the term 'Outer Home' a very long time ago and the Western Region never used it as far as I have been able to trace.   The outermost Home Signal on the Western is/was exactly that - the Home Signal, however far it might be in rear of the next stop signal at the signalbox which works it.

Thanks Mike, I didn't know that. It makes perfect sense of course - the block section being between the Section signal of a signal box and the outermost Home signal of the box in advance.