Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

If they do produce a 24/1 with headcode box, they could also offer the 25/0, which had most of the class 24 body features, including the shallow windscreens, flush cab doors, fishbelly lower cab front, class 24 style fuel tanks and battery boxes, and even the valances to the sides of the buffer beams (I'm not 100% sure, but it is possible they had the full valance panels when built).

They do say they view the 24 as 'bread and butter' in terms of their range, so I expect they'll be keeping releasing different versions as long as they are still wanted to make the most of the tooling.

That to me means they're likely going to also release other items that might only have a couple of batches of something like that, in a similar fashion to commission releases. But as with all these things are just speculation.

The SLW blog with the livery options shows the BSYP example carrying the double arrow symbol, and gives D5021 and D5026 as the possible examples. Not sure about D5026, but D5021 had the BR lion rather than the arrows when BSYP, and even when it received full yellow ends, then became 24021, carried this all the way to the scrapyard.

Looking at my photos of these D5021 has BSYP with rounded corners to the top corners of the panels and of course the BR crest.

D5026 had arrows under the drivers cabs with the numbers in rail alphabet behind the cab beyond the radiator panel on A side, with the other number under the secondman's window. I don't know the arrangement for B side but I would imagine it was much the same as D7660 and D5389 which were all outshopped from Derby Works at the same time, D7660 being brand new. The small yellow panels on D5026 had squared off top corners.

However I would imagine that SLW have all the relevant information at hand.

• RMweb Gold

Latest voting figures:

LATEST VOTING (36 HOURS WORTH ONLY)

This morning's standings were as follows:

Loco A - 4%

Loco B - 7%

Loco C - 8%

Loco D - 17%

Loco E - 7%

Loco F - 7%

Loco G - 11%

Loco H - 18%

I'll be going for H too, but it is a shame some of the others are starting to lag behind - there were a few more examples of each than perhaps people realise.

A - 2 examples

B - 5

C - 32

D - 1

E - 55

F - 16

G - 19

H - 19

Of course there would have been detail differences between each grouping.

but it is a shame some of the others are starting to lag behind - there were a few more examples of each than perhaps people realise.

It's early days yet. As soon as a loco gets to 100% that will be a green light for it to be produced.

• RMweb Premium

It's early days yet. As soon as a loco gets to 100% that will be a green light for it to be produced.

Hi Nick

I was wondering about Phil's maths, as the percentage figures did not add up to 100. Has Phil set a number that will trigger a production run and the percentage shown is the percentage of that figure. As in all good maths we will call this mystical figure x. 

Loco A - 4% of x

Loco B - 7% of x

Loco C - 8% of x

Loco D - 17% of x

Loco E - 7% of x

Loco F - 7% of x

Loco G - 11% of x

Loco H - 18% of x

If so loco H at 18% is still 82% short of a production run.....................

Keep the froth going boys, I might get me two tone one to match my skinhead suit.

Hi Nick

I was wondering about Phil's maths, as the percentage figures did not add up to 100. Has Phil set a number that will trigger a production run and the percentage shown is the percentage of that figure. 

Yes, I believe when the expression of interest reaches 100% for a particular model that is the figure of the previous runs and will trigger production.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick

I was wondering about Phil's maths, as the percentage figures did not add up to 100. Has Phil set a number that will trigger a production run and the percentage shown is the percentage of that figure. As in all good maths we will call this mystical figure x.

Loco A - 4% of xLoco B - 7% of x

Loco C - 8% of x

Loco D - 17% of x

Loco E - 7% of x

Loco F - 7% of x

Loco G - 11% of x

Loco H - 18% of x

If so loco H at 18% is still 82% short of a production run.....................

Keep the froth going boys, I might get me two tone one to match my skinhead suit.

The figure must be greater than 100 (must be at least 200), my vote for Loco A and Loco E didn't trigger any % increase between the last sets of results, (assuming I was the only one to vote for each).

Might be in for a wait, has it hit the magazines yet ?

Edited by adb968008

Just got back from the York Show . . . had a demo of the 24 and a brief play under supervision and I must echo what other people have said that this a most stunning model, both visually and aurally.

There is only one other supplier who comes near to what has been achieved with the sound on this model IMHO . . . yes, he was at the show!

• Like 1

Philip is reporting he had a loco stolen off the stand at the York show. But the thief stole the Bachmann 24 used for a comparison, bad luck!

Thats extremely disappointing to hear but I guess there is some kind of rough justice in that. I can't help but think the irony will be the mastermind behind such a fine piece being spotted in his local model shop buying a Bachmann version to replace this one!

Philip is reporting he had a loco stolen off the stand at the York show. But the thief stole the Bachmann 24 used for a comparison, bad luck!

That is sad to hear. Glad it wasn't one of the slw ones at least. But still annoying for Phil and the team.

http://sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=vote-01

So who has voted for what?

No brainer, really.  A couple of GSYP and a brace of BFYE Highland Baby Sulzers, although I could happily accommodate up to a dozen.

They've had their own dedicated topic on here for six years:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34123-highland-baby-sulzers/

• Like 1

Besides the RTC one purely so I can replace my Bachmann one I went for the Scottish GSYP & 2 blue Scottish ones.

If the Scottish ones prove really popular I'm hoping they eventually decide to do them with TOPS numbers and then I would definitely be adding 3 of those at the very least :)

• RMweb Gold

Roll-up Roll-up Roll-up,

see the greatest 24s on earth.

There are blue ones and blue ones plus blue ones,

all proudly display "24" on their sides.

But wait, there can be a difference,

we are a broad church after all.

So all welcome another 24,

one in green with "24" also upon her sides.

So folks vote, vote now,

vote for what is right.

Vote for 'D' and 'F',

but I know you really want them all.

Kev.

(No politicians were harmed in the making of this post.)

The latest voting which doesn't include votes by email yet or votes cast in the ballot box at the York show.

Loco A - 5% (+1%)

Loco B - 9% (+2%)
Loco C - 9% (+1%)
Loco D - 21% (+4%)
Loco E - 8% (+1%)
Loco F - 8% (+1%)
Loco G - 13% (+1%)
Loco H - 21% (+3%)

From the SLW Facebook page, reproduced here with permission.

LATEST VOTING - FULLY UPDATED, APRIL 21st

These are this lunchtime's standings and now include votes by e-mail and those made in person in our York ballot box.

Loco A - Blue SYWP: 6% (+1%)
Loco B - Two-tone Green SYWP: 10% (+1%)
Loco C - Blue FYE, ScR: 10% (+1%)
Loco D - RTC Red/Blue: 26% (+5%)
Loco E - Standard Green SYWP: 9% (+1%)
Loco F - Green FYE, TOPS: 9% (+1%)
Loco G - Highland Green SYWP: 14% (+1%)
Loco H - Highland Blue FYE: 25% (+4%)

Wow! We've only been going a week and many options have broken into, or are approaching, double-figures. No only that, but two options are, incredibly, already a quarter of their way towards the target.

We were thinking that this process would take a month or two to get off the ground but perhaps I should be looking at booking flights to the Far East sooner rather than later...

It's not over until the 'fat lady sings', and there is a long way to go, so encourage everyone to take part if you think they would appreciate a SLW Class 24. It's inevitable that voting will slow after the initial spike of interest so we will be doing our best to publicise the scheme to a wider audience very soon.

post-7968-0-80102400-1492796582_thumb.jpg

• Like 3