Hornby at London Toy Fair

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Revelling started it in the 1980s with their fantastic 'Visible V8' kit. Always wanted to build one of those.

I have a  Visible V8 bought for me in the early 60s, ( or possibly 50s). Sensible offers considered, if you're still hankering after one...

Hoping the Airfix loco is 1:32 scale

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I remember Hornby signing up to and making a big noise about making items for a childrens TV series called Ollie The White Van or something like that.  After that initial presumably expensive announcement (and purchase of the licence from whichever TV company sold it too them) the whole thing completely vanished without a trace and was never seen or heard of ever again.

They keep making silly but ultimately expensive mistakes like this and it is making me more happy that I have now graduated away to N gauge and away from a seemingly self destructive Hornby empire that is clearing veering wildly about without anyone at the helm who really knows what they are doing.

• RMweb Premium

And Hornby already have the Star tooling to do one in the correct period. 4063 to 4072 carried Abbey names. 

Being pedantic it was from 4061 - 4072

(4063-4072 became Castles 5083- 5092)

Keith

I expect the Downton set is aimed at the American market, there must be enough gullible fools over there that will buy it.

H.L.Mencken said (paraphrased) that "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public", but I think you may find plenty of gullibility no matter where you look.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

I'm surprised so many people know about Downton Abbey, when it was usually on at the same time as Top Gear...

Ultimately, it's a train set. Do you think our 6yr old is too bothered that his Micro Scalextrics set is branded for a Bond film he's too young to see, has tracks that have no relevance to the film, or features cars he'll probably never drive, all he sees is a silver car and a dark grey car (that coincidentally are the colours of Mummy & Daddy's cars).

If it all goes pear shaped them I'm sure Hornby will put the track and controller into another set and sell the loco and stock at bargain prices on their stand at shows *, a noble gesture that does more to support juniors in the Hobby than moaning about a toy train set on a Model Railway forum. It's not like they have attempted to produce a serious themed set like the oppositions WW1 Ambulance train with the GWR City instead of a RoD Mogul.

(* 6yr old also has an O-4-0T and a Toy Story 3 Train procured from the Hornby stand).

Thanks to Phil Parker for snapping some content on Hornby's stand at the Toy Fair.

Hornby recently mentioned a Junior range, here's a first glimpse of a product.

attachicon.gifHornby Junior s.jpg

I wonder if Phil saw the PRODUCT TIT(LE) poster closely enough to tell if the track for the Hornby Junior set is all plastic?

I'm assuming those track packs were displayed to hide the "PRODUCT TIT" boilerplate on the packaging.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

All this criticism... I do think we need to separate "Hornby Hobbies" as the company that makes Hornby, Airfix, Humbrol, Corgi etc., from "Hornby" as the brand for the 00 scale model trains we know and love.

Hornby as the brand are now back to making the highly detailed models that we have been asking for, together with Railroad for the older tooling (and yes I appreciate there's a lot of grey at the edges). That doesn't seem to be changing from the evidence at the Toy Fair, so why should we worry?

On the other hand Hornby Hobbies as a company is looking at new opportunities in its market areas and has come up with Junior, which as a railway item it has been given the Hornby brand name. This product for me is a very good idea and at 1:87 is likely to sell well in more markets than just the UK. Perhaps for mainland Europe though it should come in different boxes branded Jouef, Lima or Rivarossi since Hornby as a brand is less well known.

As for the loco kit, jet engine and 3D printer, they're not even branded Hornby and if it wasn't for the fact that they all come under Hornby Hobbies as a company, would be bat an eye? Reactions seem more about the potential impact on Hornby models as a brand continuing to be available if these new products fail.

I do agree though that the Downton Abbey set should be shipped en masse to the US or perhaps other countries where the series is still running - after all it's been translated into I don't know how many languages and earlier series are still being shown.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

All this criticism... I do think we need to separate "Hornby Hobbies" as the company that makes Hornby, Airfix, Humbrol, Corgi etc., from "Hornby" as the brand for the 00 scale model trains we know and love.

This is a good point and quite important, as it can get confusing. Hornby do need to be careful to ensure that customers have a clear sense of the brands, how they interrelate and exactly what each stands for and is providing. 

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate the different brands in use at Hornby Hobbies - however, a bad decision at one brand (eg to bet the existence of Airfix on poorly designed kits of steam engines) can affect other parts. Also, producing 25,000 sets rather poor quality sets with a high RRP tied into a TV series that has now ended also has an effect. We've seen this all happen before - and in the history of the Hornby brand - its happened several times over. 

• RMweb Gold

They'd have been better off using their scalextric brand as I seem to recall ( my Mrs watches it honest!!) their being a couple of car crashes.

* The Downtown Abbey vintage motoring Racer set*

including exciting digital Toff squashing ramp!

I remember Hornby signing up to and making a big noise about making items for a childrens TV series called Ollie The White Van or something like that.  After that initial presumably expensive announcement (and purchase of the licence from whichever TV company sold it too them) the whole thing completely vanished without a trace and was never seen or heard of ever again.

Well that's not strictly true as they did actually launch them, although whether they were a big success is another matter.

http://www.corgi.co.uk/news/Hornby-launch-popular-pre-school-olly-the-little-white-van-toy-products/

H.L.Mencken said (paraphrased) that "no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligent of the American public", but I think you may find plenty of gullibility no matter where you look.

Can't but help think of the Motown's.  "Everybody's going downtown"...

Hornby America can do the Downtown Church set?

Did/will Hornby do an East Enders set for the laboring classes......

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1