PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the link.

From that page we can now see that the "bullhead" rail is as I imagined -- it will actually be a flat-bottom section with a narrow foot (Peco's 0 gauge bullhead rail is similar).

The inner jaw of the chair has clearly been modified to clear overscale wheel flanges.

Also we can now measure the sleeper length more accurately. Using the ruler tool in Templot it appears to be 31.75mm (7ft-11.1/4in) at the base (slightly less at the surface allowing for the mould draft angle):

post-1103-0-41735500-1453983106.png

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

so its not proper bullhead , more like raised flat bottom , is that right

Hi Dave,

Until we see the actual product we don't know. But the Peco "bullhead" rail in 0 gauge is very similar. It looks acceptable as representing bullhead -- it is not simply raised, the foot is much narrower than for flat-bottom rail. The reason is to allow the use of conventional rail joiners (probably Peco's existing N gauge joiners -- which some modellers use on C&L bullhead rail, although they don't fit very well on a proper bullhead foot section).

regards,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

Thanks Martin

I did not realise until recently just how much track realism is affected by colour of timbers. I have dozens of sleepers in varying shades at the moment trying to work out what paints/dyes achieve what look from old and worn to new and creosoted.

Sorry all for the o/t.

Hi Derek,

Yes it's mine, and yes you can download it. Thanks for asking. I'm glad you like it.

regards,

Martin.

00, HO and Peco rail are all my mind and body needs. (With apologies to Mr Dury).

It seems a pity that when I measure 00 track with my 4mm/1ft scale rule it comes out at 4ft 1½" but other than me, only Martin seems to have noticed. I can pretend it's standard gauge, whilst making various wheeshing and wooshing ( with apologies to Thomas & Rev Awdry) noises and pretending my locos actually run on steam.

I have no doubt that Peco buyers will continue buying Peco and others not, but until there is actually something on the shelves which can be converted into a train set / model railway or whatever speculation is futile.  (With apologies to the Borg).

I'm off now to have a sense of humour gauge check, as its back to back measurement seems a bit wide for RMWeb today.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Depending on ones modelling period, the lack of bullhead points isn't that much of an issue, at least not immediately. 

There is no shortage of places where the main line(s) were relaid in flat bottom rail half a century ago but bullhead survived in loops and sidings.

Quite a bit has disappeared in the last decade or so but it is still not that uncommon if you keep your eyes open. 

The engineer's siding at Honiton (lifted as part of the re-control project) was bullhead to the end, much of it on concrete sleepers - wonder if Peco will ever do that? Also, I recall that one of the platform roads at Paddington had, for many years, one bullhead rail and one flat bottom - definitely one for the self-builder!   

All that said, I think we will see the first Peco bullhead points quite soon after the plain track, probably the medium radius RH and LH t begin with as I gather they are the best sellers in the existing range.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Quite a bit has disappeared in the last decade or so but it is still not that uncommon if you keep your eyes open.

Hi John,

Bullhead track is still be installed new in places. See for example this at Exeter:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59971-good-news-from-riverside/

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Bullhead track is still be installed new in places. See for example this at Exeter:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59971-good-news-from-riverside/

regards,

Martin.

That came as a bit of a surprise, though I haven't been near Riverside for ages - was it new or recycled?

Thanks

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

regards,

Martin.

Thanks for reminding me of CK's wonderful set of photo's Martin. prototype for everything. 

Anyway I am very pleased with this new Peco product (no release date that will be 'revealed' at the moment.......) as I'm doing Seaton Juction and area in 1960ish and that had all sorts, including FB 60' on wooden sleepers on the through mains, BH on wooden sleepers on the Platform loops, FB 60' on concrete and some on wood sleepers on parts of Honiton Incline and probably BH on wood in all the Yard areas. There is even some BH on concrete blocks on the Incline Refuge Siding. Unfortunately I believe most of the pointwork, slips and crossings were BH from observation of photo's I have. However, this will not be a public layout and it isn't P4 so I chose Peco for simplicity and cost and it suits me fine thanks. The view from 3' rule will apply anyway.

I just hope this Bullhead arrives soon enough for me to use it. If it does not.....,hey ho!

Phil

This stuff of course will not be available in the US, perhaps via Canada though....

I'm wondering whether with a bit of work spacing out the sleepers, this, and the inevitable points, would be of any use for the O-16.5 narrow gauge lines that used BH chaired track?

Jeff,

Of the two drivable model shops near me, one doesn't bother to carry PECO flex, only PECO code 100, 75 and 83 points (at really extortionate prices) and the other has a supply that fluctuates wildly, and charges around $6 a yard when they have it.

Do what I do/did for large volumes, Hattons have the stuff for 55 quid a 25-piece box (Code 100, Code 75 about 4 quid more) with VAT deducted which comes out at barely more than 3USD a yard. Tack on around 13 quid for 2-day air and you're still only looking at around 4USD a yard delivered to your door. Even trying to get it "US locally" from most US model shops/eBay vendors it's still around 6USD a yard delivered from anywhere I've found (happy to be corrected, but I unless I go for replacing, see below, I don't need it in bulk any more so drive and pay the 6USD if I need a yard)...

I really like the announcement and the direction it takes us, and will possibly slowly replace some of my track, BUT, with about 100 yds or more of flex down, I don't think the CEO would be too excited about me ripping it all out and replacing it, even IF I presented it as a permanent way improvement! :jester:

I'm very pleased with this announcement - as an 'average' modeller I don't have the time, skill or indeed money to hand build points (or order bespoke) - but I do want my track to look a bit more accurate than the current streamline offerings - after all, look how far we have come with RTR stock over the last few years! 

edited to remove typos

Edited by Gilloverland
  • Like 3

I'm very pleased with this announcement - as an 'average' modeller I don't have the time, skill or indeed money to hand build points (or order bespoke) - but I do want my track to look a bit more accurate than the current streamlline offerings - afterall, look how far we have come come with RTR stock over the last few years! 

Look, it's another one 'of us.' !!!!  

Interesting how this announcement has started to pull more new adopters from the latent market, in a way that the more esoteric threads didn't!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm very pleased with this announcement - as an 'average' modeller I don't have the time, skill or indeed money to hand build points (or order bespoke) - but I do want my track to look a bit more accurate than the current streamlline offerings - afterall, look how far we have come come with RTR stock over the last few years! 

Got it in one!

More good sense in those two lines than in umpteen bad-tempered pages of a certain other thread.

Well said that man.

J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of Peco's designers was posting quite openly about some of the reasoning on NGRM but after people getting their knickers in a twist he was politely asked not to any more. Now that informed source that fed back directly can't clarify things so easily as it all has to go via the official announcements. Social media froth and getting worked up about it doesn't help them change, polite letters with research to back it up are all they will listen to. They are in the business already with lots of contacts in the trade and it may come as a surprise to some that that is part of their market research ;)

The amount of positive reaction suggests they've got it right already.

• Like 3

I suspect they're probably sticking to the joint 00/H0 label, so as not to queer the patch for the pre-existing 00/H0 labelled lines.

On the other hand, maybe they're now trying to pull the wool over H0 modeller's eyes, just like they've been doing for 00 modellers over the years.   :jester:

There will be some market for this in H0 as BH wasn't just used in Britain. Maybe half of France's railways used to use it and, because sleeper spacings varied so much, it'll be perfectly acceptable for H0. C&L and SMP are already quite widely used there for Ep 3 and earlier. The sort of modellers who would know where to use it in preference to Vignoles rail are not the sort to have any wool pulled over their eyes.

There will be some market for this in H0 as BH wasn't just used in Britain.....

......The sort of modellers who would know where to use it in preference to Vignoles rail are not the sort to have any wool pulled over their eyes.

It was meant to be a joke David.

However, if as you say, there's a potential H0 market out there for this bullhead rail, then that is all to the good and hopefully might encourage Peco to press on with padding out the range with turnouts etc.

One lives in hope.

regards

Ron

There will be some market for this in H0 as BH wasn't just used in Britain. Maybe half of France's railways used to use it and, because sleeper spacings varied so much, it'll be perfectly acceptable for H0. C&L and SMP are already quite widely used there for Ep 3 and earlier. The sort of modellers who would know where to use it in preference to Vignoles rail are not the sort to have any wool pulled over their eyes.

Not just that, but there a quite a lot of us already in foreign climes, but looking to model British layouts!

With such an apparent demand for 00 gauge bullhead track (which I find totally understandable), why haven't those already established in the marketplace for a long time (eg C&L and SMP) produced ready-made pointwork off the shelf?

Or is it too late for them now, with the arrival of PECO who will take a large % of the market I'm sure.

Just wondering.....

• Like 1