Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

Just on the Bachmann supply chain issues, to what extent do they have a backlog in other geographies? Is the consequence of lack of manufacturing slots causing them to stop spending on development costs hence the slow move from idea to cad stage or is, in fact, that the real bottleneck in the process?

David

I agree. An announcement with no coaches or wagons for me. Even the 64xx is just a new number. Why have they persisted with GWR livery when a few had a shirt button and they all wore Great Western green.

Roll on the 1361, 1366 and 47xx from Heljan and Kernow.

• RMweb Gold

My eye was taken by ;

30-049 The Permanent Way with Digital Sound

30-130 Military Manoeuvres

and

30-430 Capital Commuter

I GUESS that the first ("The Permanent Way") will be a train set based on the new crane which is due out. "Military Manoeuvres" will presumably be based on the Warwells with tanks which were announced AGES ago, and the "Capital Commuter" will be delayed, and delayed, and delayed ...............

I have posted details of the Military Manoeuvres set above but for completeness (and I know your post was tongue in cheek)

The Permanent way set is a class 20 number 20088 in two tone grey with DCC sound two yellow departmental Mk1s (a BSK and Super BG)

The Capital Commuter is a train pack Class 416 in NSE livery with low relief Art Deco station

It looks like both are without skirts, 041 has domino boxes and 284 has played over headcode box the same as blue 37254

Where does it say that about domino boxes? have I missed something somewhere? I have my own photos of 041 with domino boxes with skirts and most photos on flickr show it with skirts and domino boxes

EDIT: Just seen the picture on bachmanns site showing the skirtless 37041 :) That's me happy then (I'd be happier with a large logo split box 37 instead of yet another 37/4 but can't have everything I suppose :) )

...............    But I can confirm that the Thanet Flyer Train Set comprises of N Class number 1854 (again) with two Bulleid coaches (BTK & CK from exisiting tooling) ..........

Thanks for your blog post.

I am horrified that Bachmann still consider their Bullied coaches suitable for modern standards.

• RMweb Gold

I cannot see any pictures with this. Does anyone know which Thameslink livery is being proposed? Is it the current (fairly plain) white one with blue doors?

The picture shown to us today is of 319 382 the earlier Blue upper and yellow lower livery with a white side stripe between the two colours

WOW !

A D11/2 in LNER livery - I can hardly contain my excitement.

We north of the border modellers have never had it so good.

By the way, will the passengers have to sit in the carriage sidings overnight or find their own way home ?

What am I going to do with all my ECS workings ?

Interesting that they've decided to add passengers to some coaches and units. Definitely innovative.

There are some interesting items on there, it's just a shame they're likely to be too expensive for me unless they end up in the bargain bin!

• RMweb Gold

The capital communter pack is a dead cert for me, if the epb included is in NSE livery, not blue/grey woth flashes

Dan 

It's in full NSE livery 

• RMweb Gold

That one caught my eye too! I'm hoping for Blue and Grey version but I expect it will be the later green/cream version to go with the highlander set from last year!

Also hoping 37041 and 37284 are ones without buffer skirts this time!! I know 37041 kept its skirts for a very long time so i'm worried we'll get yet another skirted model of the blue split headcode 37 :(

Yes the Highlander Set will be in Green and Cream livery

Best bit.......Guitar Shop 'Gibbs and Sons'; very clever thinking there, Trisonic will get what I mean.

Funnily enough, Les Paul occasionally exhibits his 00 mini layout, Marine Park Yard. I'll not state the obvious.

P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your blog post.

I am horrified that Bachmann still consider their Bullied coaches suitable for modern standards.

I did question the use of the old tooling and also the spurious SR livery applied to them as they are based on the later BR built versions, along with the reuse of 1854 as the N Class number when they could have done 1817 the only other member of the class to gain malachite green,  but the answer given was that it was considered a 'Train Set' and was needed to fill a gap in big four train sets.

I have to say I am surprised - not in the least by the Bachmann announcement, but rather by our collective response to it,

There was essentially zero excitement demonstrated by RMweb ahead of this announcement - which I had thought represented the understanding that Bachmann (for whatever the reason) has a long backlog of eagerly awaited announcements from some years ago and pragmatically speaking probably wouldn't have a long list of new announcements.

Based on that I was surprised by the overwhelmingly negative tone of posters here.  What on earth were people expecting?

This announcement seemed pretty inevitable to me. There are *some* new things. Bachmann do continue to produce very nice products even if most of them are re-liveried items. Perhaps they need to be cautious to not outspend their revenues?

Perhaps a more modest approach to announcing new products helps ensure margins and profitability for the business, rather than overextending themselves and building lots of new products on borrowed money?

Ready populated coaches - going to look strange with the carriages sitting in the sidings full of passengers - guard will be in trouble for not getting the passengers off at the last station stop !

Paul

I acquired a 57305 in Northern Belle colors less than 3 months ago as a repaint... 

Good to see a return for a standard EWS CL66 and one with Schenker Branding as well

I wonder if 37401 will be made as it is running on the national network at the moment, if it is then that will be on the shopping list.

All in all, good variety from Bachmann and lots of things to look forward too.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Lots to digest which I'll do at leisure, though Iamcurious as why some coaches in particular are reusing old product numbers rather than the next letter in the series. Does this mean Bachmann isgoingtostart repeating things, each livery details and vehicle numbers. After all a precedent has been set with 32-353, the Std 2-6-4T 80135 inLined BR Green. It was one of the first releases and is now coming out again this year (last years announcements).

• RMweb Gold

I'll be in the market for a green 2-Hap. Think one will be going on pre-order as soon as I can. Pity no Hap in Blue though, but a few 2-Hap's lasted until late 1970 in Green with SYP, so just about scrape into my modelling period.

How many years since no new steam loco was announced?   But it does look like the Thompsons might be with us inside twelve months, which is good news.

The status update does show them in the artwork stage which is good news.

ARTWORK STAGE

Our artwork department are currently working on the following items:

Thompson Coaches

But they are conspicuously absent in the list of coaches announced for the year. That might simply be because they have already been announced. One would expect them to appear in the catalogue.

Archived