Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

Some nice announcements there (2Hap primarily) and the NSE items. But they could  have done a lot more NSE issues I reckon to cash in better, but a lot of previous issues for NSE have tended to be LEs so maybe they want to reserve some for that?

Would be interesting if the 319 comes to OO, though no real use to me, but some of the derivities could be.

I personally think that they may be doing too many NSE items. I love NSE a lot as I grew up with it, however there is no way on Earth I will be buying all of that on offer, nor half of it, nor even a 1/4 of it. Its simply too expensive to do so.

Remarkably, Hornby missed this one otherwise we might have seen the 50 in NSE again, perhaps the 455 and 4-VEP (as well 08/09, class 101 and Mk1s etc).

I was very impressed with the display of the Dynamis RailController software.

The system was displayed on a Windows touchscreen laptop but development is progressing with Apple and Android versions. The laptop is connected via a USB lead to the Dynamis base unit and all loco and accessory control can be managed from the software interface. It was extremely intuitive and has the capacity to easily write movement sequences for both locos and the associated accessories. An example would be to write a sequence for a train running into a terminus, pulling forward after uncoupling, switching any crossovers, running around and backing back onto stock before pulling off again. Very simple and very clever and is a vast improvement on what I have seen of Hornby's Railmaster software. Initially this is likely to be offered with the Dynamis Ultima package but should be available for existing Dynamis users to at around the £50 mark. I understand that there will be a more extensive diaplay of the system at our forthcoming show at the London Festival of Railway Modelling.

We discussed the price impact of the 'passengers included' or 'loads included' options, it's likely to add around £10 per coach populated with a dozen or so passengers placed around a vehicle which is the equivalent cost of purchasing suitable Scenecraft figures and adding them to a vehicle, but without the need to gain access to fit your own. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to that. It's not something that would worry many to do but it's surprising how many people don't and it's evident that many buyers like ready made solutions.

Thanks Andy, I will be very interested to see what Bachmann's DCC PC software offers. As a sufferer of the Railmaster system (its not too bad once you figure out a few things that are not explained in the guide), I am looking for a serious upgrade and would be interested to know who it compares to say the ROCO system. A big limit of Railmaster is that it will not read CV settings higher than 250. Also you cannot add any additional default settings for sound. It gives you Hornby Steam & Diesel options, Bachmann steam & diesel options and even here it is not always correct. However if you use other sound suppliers, you cannot set up default lists they generally follow meaning you are in for an evening's programming.

With sophisticated/realistic driving concepts like Rapido's - Railmaster simply won't let you exploit it...

So will certainly look to see what they offer here.

Good to see that they are testing the water with passengers, though for me personally, I have already the subjects selected. Be nice if they added then to say Birdcages which are not released yet so I can choose either with or without.

As a big NSE fan I found this years announcement highly exciting....but then also a little disappointing.

After spending a few years collecting and spending extra on limited or special editions a lot of them are being repeated in this group:

08631 - is the same livery as the signal box limited edition of 08641

47576 - I'm assuming this is going to be the same livery as Modelzone's exclusive 47573 - although research does show 47576 carried both stripey and revised livery

2EPB - same as the Bachmann Collectors club limited edition

However, it does allow people who missed out the first time to get them without having to spend the over inflated ebay prices so overall it's a good thing.

My budget is a bit tight this year after a house move but will be certainly considering the 121 when it arrives and will be keen to see the 101 and 117.

Though since Replica Railways already produce these, and they've been in their range for several years, why wait for Bachmann?

If you put a Replica suburban coach in between either the Kernow Thumper or the 2EPB, it sticks out like a sore thumb, sadly. The whole profile of the coach is different. Not sure which model is accurate, but I would guess the more recent Bachmann models are closer to reality.

The resource will be trebled whilst the backlog is addressed. As such yesterday's announcements for this catalogue may seem less than previously but it is a move toward making the catalogue more relevant to when products will actually arrive, during the lifespan of the catalogue.

Ever so thankful for this information. I am highly impressed that Bachmann have publicly acknowledged they have to work on previous announcements with priority. I remember a BRM article on Bachmann where David Haarhaus stated the design/tooling can accommodate 12 'new' models a year. Trebling this shall see even the Class 158 with us speedily.

I am more happy about this announcement on increased resources than any of the other fine GBRf, Northern Belle or GWR models.

What is also relevant is comment that new tooling will have increasing consideration for what variations it can have beyond a specific announcement, an example is the 24/1, not only will it be still produced despite potential competition but it may have knock-on benefits for future announcements within that family.

Now this is interesting, would this apply to the DBSO too - thus allowing for the non-corridor connection to be produced allowing for the variations between 'One', 'DRS' and Network Rail? No worries if you did not ask, I shall get emailing!

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Andy for your illustrated report. I am rather impressed with the decisions taken by the new management team. To my way of thinking the most important news is that they have persuaded Kader to invest a great deal more into the production of their models in China. Bachmann seem to have stopped digging in the hole they have dug over the last few years of promising models they must have known could not be delivered in the catalogues timespan - it had become a catalogue of dreams. Certainly this may do a great deal to quell the rising tide of cynicism that has been developing over Bachmann's announcements. If they can bring to the market some new models, yet to be announced, during the next 15 months I am sure we will all be delighted, even if the the new models do not quite fit with our own must have wishlist.

All the best and as Andy said, lets watch (quietly) this space!

• RMweb Premium

So... I'm strongly in favour of Bachmann playing catch up and if that means fewer new announcements for the time being then so be it.

NSE as a livery, and in particular the original light blue version, does nothing for me. However, as a regular user at the time I would quite like a 3-car Class 101 in later NSE as used on the Reading-Redhill line, so if/when we do get a 101 centre car I hope Bachmann will still be producing NSE livery. I fear, however, that some of the new NSE liveries will be difficult to shift as standard releases.

Not surprised, but disappointed that neither the 2-HAP nor the Class 117 DMU will appear in either BR Green with SYP or BR Blue amongst the first releases. That's a lot of years not to be covered.

So whilst there is very little for me in the new announcements, I can at least look forward to seeing sooner rather than later some of the previously announced models that I do want.

• RMweb Gold

Though since Replica Railways already produce these, and they've been in their range for several years, why wait for Bachmann?

The Replica model doesn't "match" the Bachmann ones, the body profile, window sizes and roof ribbing are different for starters.  Consequently, a 4EPB or 3H with the replica coach(es) inbetween the Bachmann ones would look distinctly odd.

As to which is more accurate, well that's for a different thread, but my money would be on Replica.

Based on that I was surprised by the overwhelmingly negative tone of posters here.  What on earth were people expecting?

I was expecting little but we got even less. I think the negativity is a reaction to not even meeting low expectations. I model N gauge and they have announced only a single piece of new motive power. Now granted the 319 is an excellent choice of EMU and I am glad to see NSE getting some love but it doesn't really help with the fact that I cannot see anything in the new announcements that I will be buying.

A few shrink downs of 00 products would have been most welcome. Even just having the POT scaled down from 00 would be useful to a lot of modellers. Even the reliveries were uninspiring. What about the Maroon Hawksworths? A 450 etc?

I love NSE, so personally a lot of great stuff for me - thanks Bachmann.

Particularly the 101 in NSE livery.  But with sound and added passengers I fear the wallet will take a bit lot of hammering!  Better start saving now as I definitely want one!  

Edit:  I got an email from Hattons three hours ago.  Estimated price for the 101 is £230.  Still in shock....! :O  

• RMweb Gold

I was expecting little but we got even less. I think the negativity is a reaction to not even meeting low expectations. I model N gauge and they have announced only a single piece of new motive power. Now granted the 319 is an excellent choice of EMU and I am glad to see NSE getting some love but it doesn't really help with the fact that I cannot see anything in the new announcements that I will be buying.

A few shrink downs of 00 products would have been most welcome. Even just having the POT scaled down from 00 would be useful to a lot of modellers. Even the reliveries were uninspiring. What about the Maroon Hawksworths? A 450 etc?

I started with no expectations - Bachmann have so much catching up to do on past programmes that in my view it would be unrealistic to actually expect very much of them in the way of totally new announcements simply to add to the backlog.  They have taken the far more sensible - in my view - step of seeking extra capacity from Kader in order to attack the backlog and tackle what has unfortunately become something of a joke in poor taste about their reputation.  That to my mind is one of the most positive announcements any manufacturer could make.

I started with no expectations - Bachmann have so much catching up to do on past programmes that in my view it would be unrealistic to actually expect very much of them in the way of totally new announcements simply to add to the backlog.  They have taken the far more sensible - in my view - step of seeking extra capacity from Kader in order to attack the backlog and tackle what has unfortunately become something of a joke in poor taste about their reputation.  That to my mind is one of the most positive announcements any manufacturer could make.

That's pretty much my view, too, Mike.  If the Class 24/1 is of the requisite quality then that will make a substantial dent in my railway budget, and I'll be happy.  Some peripheral stuff like 14T Class A tanks may be of interest too, and decently rendered V2s will definitely be taken in numbers.

That the glaring Class 47 void is increasingly looking like it's never going to be tackled, just means that I'm going to be several hundred pounds better off.

I was hoping they might make a 63-ft 10 seating-bay "suburban" coach, so that they could make a 4EPB for people like me who could use several. Especially if the coaches are packed full of passengers.

Replica already do, and you can buy one today. They've all the bits you need to make a 4-EPB too.

• RMweb Premium

SO a big hint there that the 25 is being revised too?  or am I reading too much into this?

I read it as saying that the Highland Baby Sulzer version of the Class 24/1 would be possible from the tooling options but perhaps an original 25/0 may be too.

Bachmanns annoucement seems to be a concerted effort to get the backlogue cleared. I can understand the desire to do this and extra resouces are long overdue. The much wanted class 158 and 90 are progressing very slowly, much to the frustration of those wanting them.

It does seem that Bachmann is making the most of engines that are quicker to produce and easier to get to market. I think this explains how diesels are being listed more that steam, which need extra parts like handrails, tenders, tender couplings and the like all to be fitted. That in turn makes me think that the slow production might be starting to impact on money the company is making, and lack of new tooling also relects this as a cost cut, and allows the company to continue making what it can. In many ways its all needed.

You have to give Bachmann credit for some spin and headlines. The NSE annoucement I think its a clever ploy, but an attempt to highlight what they are making when really Bachmann are not releasing much. I noticed that some of the Bachmann NSE items are listed on their own. An example being a Mk. 1 coach of a type that matches a list of them from the 2015 annoucement. Clearly these are overdue and not made yet, meaning Bachmann add the NSE run to the production and with a few others get a nice release and range added for customers. Its clever stuff, making the best of delays and being creative. I admire it all really, as its good they are looking to maxmise what they can and go on the road with their produce too.

I just hope that production does improve and that the cash generated from the sales they make keeps Bachmann going better than it has for Hornby, who admitadly invested heavily to get things produced, where as Bachmann have cut back on new protducts and aim to make what is already announced.

Personally, I also think Bachmanns price increases have dented sales. The sudden rise of some engines that were half the price some years ago might be a relection on the market, but it is also impacting on those with the income slightly less available given the 40ish year old rule and that Bachmann are aiming this year at sectorisation, NSE and Regional Railways - all starting to be the target for modellers of a 35-50 ish demographic and might still have commitments in spending. I cant help but think that regardless of the era, such prices for steam, diesel and units are hitting a cieling and as a result some niche stock remains on shelves for a little while longer.

Finally, Bachmanns delays will also push up the price of second hand stock for popular items even higher.

Its all interesting, for me, the initial disapointment with the annoucement led to investigation and understanding. Will others take the time to find that out too?

That pic of 20088, Looks like it asn`t the extra fuel tanks.

There'll be a few feet missing from that model of the Breakdown Train Unit Tool Van that is hiding in the Permanent Way set, if they've used a Super BG. I know it's only a train set, but it's not like they're collating unsold stock like Hornby have done.

O_o They want £279.95 for a 2-coach 150 with sound and passengers?!?

And the class 350 has gone up to £189.95?!?

Goodness knows how much the 450 will be since the 350 was made quite some years ago!

£134.95 for the 47, I suppose once through shop discounts that price will be reasonable...

I wonder how much the GWR 166 will be... Been awhile since they have made 166s?

Archived