Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

It would be nice if the N Gauge Class 319 "migrates" to OO as a "later announcement", perhaps when they have a greater degree of confidence that their backlog is moving forward. 

Otherwise, unlike it seems the majority of posters here, I'm not too worried that they are having a second year of consolidation especially as they have confirmed that Kader have agreed to additional resources being made available to address the issue.  To me that is a very good piece of news, let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that Kader seemed to be concerned about the financial performance of Bachmann and there was speculation that resources might be directed away from UK products to potentially more lucrative European and US markets.  The announcement of additional resources to play catch up would appear to say that the parent company is now happier with the performance of the UK market and sees the scope for continued support and confidence.

• RMweb Gold

Is that confirmed somewhere? I must have missed it. I know the announcement said "GWR" green. Is this presuming it is distinct from "Great Western" green?

EDIT: Thanks - I now see this on the website.

The Collett goods does look good with the Churchward tender.

Usually when Bachmann give their liveries "GWR green" means it will have GWR on the side, not Great Western. That, not surprisingly, is described on boxes etc as "Great Western green". However they have deviated from that norm with the Collett goods announcement so it's probably no longer reliable indicator.

Have to agree the Churchward tender does go well with the Collett, looks much better than the version I have. And it's in the best livery too! :D

• RMweb Gold

Otherwise, unlike it seems the majority of posters here, I'm not too worried that they are having a second year of consolidation especially as they have confirmed that Kader have agreed to additional resources being made available to address the issue.  To me that is a very good piece of news, let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that Kader seemed to be concerned about the financial performance of Bachmann and there was speculation that resources might be directed away from UK products to potentially more lucrative European and US markets.  The announcement of additional resources to play catch up would appear to say that the parent company is now happier with the performance of the UK market and sees the scope for continued support and confidence.

Agreed, but the items selected for 2016-7 are, with very few exceptions, not going to induce me to help refill Bachmann's coffers by very much. One loco (which is an I-could-do-with-another-of-those choice rather than a must-have anyway) and half-a-dozen wagons is pretty small beer; though my spend will (hopefully) be increased by some long-outstanding items from Bachmann that may arrive within the same timescale.

One hopes that those purchasers more targeted (e.g. post-BR-blue diesel/electric fans) will spend enough to make up for those of us who remain largely untempted.

John

Yes indeed, but these 2 (to be produced as 89 and 13810) were the first to have their large boilers replaced with the small one.  This was done quite early in their life, in 1930.  Bachmann's intention of numbering one as 13810 is Ok because it carried this number from 1932 until being renumbered by BR. 

However I don't at the moment know whether the other loco will be correct.  This is the loco that's preserved at Butterly.

89 was its S&DJR number which it carried until being renumbered as 9679 by the LMS in 1930.  But 1930 was also when it's large boiler was replaced by the small boiler (Bachmann's model is the small boiler loco) so it maybe that it never carried the number 89 as a small boiler loco, and 89 only applied to its large boiler condition.

I don't know whether the 1930 renumbering happened before, at the same time, or after the boiler change.

I'm away from home at the moment so cant check my own 'library'.  It may be that it carried 89 as a small boiler loco for a very short period (a couple of months?) or that it carried 89 in it's preserved condition.    

Thanks for all the info. Been a real insight . :imsohappy: I have heard rumors about 53809, might be going into SDJR livery at some point, as she has just come out of an overhaul, ready for the West Somerset S&D Gala this coming weekend, though she's in very smart BR Black livery, much like 53808, which to has also just come out of overhaul. Maybe she's in BR just for the event and then to this livery? Maybe Bachmann might be one step ahead... ;)  

• RMweb Premium

I've had a reply from the ever helpful Richard Proudman at Bachmann about the re-use of product numbers in this years announcement. It's deliberate and avoids the need for design and artwork to be prepared and signed off, allowing the team to work on other products. So we can expect the models to be proper re-runs with the same livery details and numbering as the previous versions.

EDIT: this also applies to 32-353 BR 2-6-4T 80135 in lined green announced last year.

Seeing the photo of Major General McMullen on the Bachmann website, I really hope is not just going to be a renumbered version of the limited edition Sir Guy Williams.

Assuming they are modelling it as coal fired, that limits the date range to between January 1946, the date it was named, and early 1950 after which date it was oil-fired. However, those striking red frames did not appear until 1962, long after Major General McMullen had been withdrawn.

I can see that red frames would be more eye-catching but an oil-fired version with black frames and numbered WD 401 would go very nicely with the USA tank in the period from late 1952 to 1957.

Of course, I would then be tempted to repaint the frames on Sir Guy Williams and backdate my layout!   :scratchhead:

Tony

An additional £20!!!   If that's the case they won't sell many. It is speculation, but the Bachmann website is showing worrying TBC's for many items. It wasn't long ago that Bachmann were justifying the price of a mk1. Adding passengers sounds counter intuitive!

Pending the actual pricing, I suspect this is a move that won't last - at least for BR Mk 1 coaches. I can see people going for it in the higher priced DMU models with DCC sound though.

We discussed the price impact of the 'passengers included' or 'loads included' options, it's likely to add around £10 per coach populated with a dozen or so passengers placed around a vehicle which is the equivalent cost of purchasing suitable Scenecraft figures and adding them to a vehicle, but without the need to gain access to fit your own. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to that. It's not something that would worry many to do but it's surprising how many people don't and it's evident that many buyers like ready made solutions. Wagon loads are expected to add around £1.50 to £2.00 to the price where offered.

Today's new data referencing "around £10 per coach" is helpful. I can see some people having issues with this but if we look at the highly competitive BR Mk 1 coaches, presuming the availability of cheaper Hornby Railroad items, people who are cost sensitive are likely to choose Hornby.  It will be interesting to see how this experiment plays out.

I like the idea of wagon loads - presuming they are removable, less so if they cannot be removed, but I would part with a £2 increase more often than not for this feature.

Usually when Bachmann give their liveries "GWR green" means it will have GWR on the side, not Great Western. That, not surprisingly, is described on boxes etc as "Great Western green".

I find "GWR green" to be inadequate without an illustration - exactly because of the issues illustrated today. With enough context they work but it's still confusing.

Do manufacturers also use the designation "G W green" for Hawksworth passenger liveries?

Given the variety of different totems when using "Great Western" - monogram, garter + arms, arms, no arms, and of course the non-"GWR" / "Great Western" alternative (the shirt-button), I would appreciate it if manufacturers could be a little clearer in their written description.

It's kind of a pet peeve for me.

• RMweb Gold

At the same time I am disappointed that the 64XX is coming in a repeat of the post war livery. I would have thought that those that wanted that would have purchased it last year and next year should be the turn of the modellers of the earlier period who want to run an auto-train. I am wise enough to recognise though that Bachmann have access to data that I don’t and if they see that something with GWR on the side will sell and with a “shirtbutton” will not, I suppose I can’t blame them.

Given Hobson's choice, the GWR livery might sell for a variety of reasons, not just because that is what people want. These days, you don't know when, or even IF, your livery of choice will ever appear. And by the time it does, at what cost? I see from the Bachmann site that the 64xx is up 13%. No doubt by the time "Great Western" comes around, it will be even more. Some people will be happy to re-livery it themselves. It doesn't make for accurate selling data.

• RMweb Gold

Given Hobson's choice, the GWR livery might sell for a variety of reasons, not just because that is what people want. These days, you don't know when, or even IF, your livery of choice will ever appear. And by the time it does, at what cost? I see from the Bachmann site that the 64xx is up 13%. No doubt by the time "Great Western" comes around, it will be even more. Some people will be happy to re-livery it themselves. It doesn't make for accurate selling data.

There is no guarantee that Bachmann will do the Great Western version although I'm sure they will.I'm waiting for Hornby to go a GWR Grange but I'm not holding my breath.

There is no guarantee that Bachmann will do the Great Western version although I'm sure they will.I'm waiting for Hornby to go a GWR Grange but I'm not holding my breath.

I've been waiting for years for Bachmann to do an LMS version of the 7F. Late last year I finally had enough and bought a renumbered - reliveried version. Done well, not perfect, but I had my LMS version at last!  And lo and behold, this year Bachmann announces the LMS version....

Guest spet0114

I'm going to order a container load of Bachmann stock, then tell them the payment is in the "drawing room". (tee hee)

C6T.

Careful! They might strike you down with a lead pipe or a candlestick....

Crikey, some of the prices are a bit steep !!!  £64.95 RRP for a MK2 weathered with figures..........a) don't want it weathered b) don't want figures either.  Up to a £20 increase for Class 47 yikes thankfully I only need one ! 

• RMweb Gold

There is no guarantee that Bachmann will do the Great Western version although I'm sure they will.

Indeed, they have good previous form for re-liveries e.g. the 57xx variants continually appear in the different liveries and the 45xx has just re-appeared in Great Western (although much to my annoyance with the portholes in welded up guise!) 

I'm waiting for Hornby to go a GWR Grange but I'm not holding my breath.

Good, we might not spot you turning blue :)

Don't forget another £10 for passengers on top whether you want them or not !!

Prices£££ and photos on Hattons site  . Cant see Bachmann getting any of my £££££ in the near future or should I say distant  :jester:

They are really getting there monies worth out of the Class 66 tooling, two EWS/DB's and the Aggregates...

Plus all the Limited Editions...

Having seen a Class 166 in GWR green, one for me...

Surprised they are still pushing the Class 57's in Freightliner, one of the cheapest second hand locos on the market...

There will sure be a rush for Hornby Northern Belle coaches with the announcement of a Class 47 to match..

Hmm, that faux Super BG in yellow disappoints. I can see why a manufacturer would do it, but a standard BG with yellow painted winders might've been nearer the mark?

The Super BG was a specific RES conversion iirc so no other use than that?

I'm totally with the folks asking for a sealed beam Peak (sans headlight) amongst other blue era standards, and ffs retooled Thompson's. Get on with it! It's a guaranteed income waiting ain't it?!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

I'm I right in thinking that Bachmann said prices would rise above inflation to stop lose maker's for the next 3 years.

If so please tell me this is the last year. Best part of £70 now for a Pullman coach lucky I only need 2 more. but I feel sorry for any one wanting more.

Archived