Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Very nice to see some new locos which I will be buying. So far I have come to the conclusion that I would like...

BR Large Logo Blue 37401 x2. One to keep as the original 401 and a second one to renumber.

EWS 66040 with DCC Sound x1.

Original EWS Liveried 66065 with DB logos x2/3. One to keep as the original 065 and possibly another one or two to renumber.

Compared to last years announcement six locos on my wish list, isn't that much. I'm not complaining because it allows me to save money for other models from different manufacturers.

I am very pleased that I have bought the majority of locos that I wanted as resprays just for the simple reason only one out of the seven I have just bought has been announced today. This being Northern Belle 57305. The resprays I have bought are DRS Revised 57301/303/306/310, DRS 20th Anniversary 57307 and Northern Belle 57305 & 57312. Considering Bachmann already have the 57/3 base model they would just require new liveries applying with them which at the moment they are obviously not keen to do. So yes the lack of new 57/3s validates my decision to buy them as resprays which I am very pleased about. Whilst I am aware that Bachmann wouldn't produce all four of the Revised liveried 57/3s, one could have been produced to allow the option to renumber. Something that does confuse me is the fact that Northern Belle 57312 hasn't been announced with 57305. Seen as they are new pair of locos dedicated to hauling the train in reality wouldn't this have just been common sense to release the pair? Seen as their are only two of them, releasing one and not the other doesn't appear logical as for the people who don't want to/can't renumber they won't have a 57312 to run alongside it. This could possibly be to do with Bachmann already producing 57312 in Network Rail and Virgin Trains colours previously.

Whilst the announcements are very good and as always (just my opinion) Bachmann do produce an outstanding range of models both in diesel and steam locos, wagons, coaches and other rolling stock etc I do feel that a lot of modern image items particularly diesel locos are yet to be announced, which I thought some would feature in today's announcement.

Very surprised not to see any of the following...

DRS Compass 20/3.

HNRC Orange 20/3.

DRS Compass 37601/603/604.

DRS Revised 37716.

DRS Revised 57003/007/010.

DRS Revised 57301/303/306/310.

DRS 20th Anniversary 57307.

Northern Belle 57312.

Considering that all except the DRS/HNRC 20/3s could be produced using current tooling it is very surprising not to see any of the remaining locos announced today especially when all that would be required is the use of an existing Compass livery or the new Revised DRS/20th Anniversary livery.

So yes disappointing not to see DRS Compass/HNRC Orange 20/3s because personally I would have four/five DRS Compass 20/3s and both of the Orange pair, so that would be at least six if not seven just sold to one person. I think that I would be right in saying that the majority of modern image modellers would have these but Bachmann don't seem to want to invest in them at the moment. Maybe next year...that would be wishful thinking.

On the other hand very pleased with the few items on my above list which have been announced today. Looking forward to acquiring some EWS/DB 66s and of course 37/4s in Large Logo Blue. As well as the 66s and 70s that have already been announced in previous years still to arrive the next couple of years should be good.

Dan,

Not difficult to tell where your allegiances lie............

The 37/4 in LL blue will not be suitable for you as they're doing it in mid 1980's condition. As for renumbering, it looks like RVEL have gone a bit AWOL with the decals on 37402 anyway!

There are a couple of major variations in 20/3's so don't hold your breath on that one. Much more sense in buying a couple of cheap ones on ebay, a few Shawplan/EE bits and crack on with some "modelling".

As for not doing two NBelle 57/3's, they don't always run in pairs and you could always renumber. After all, you do mention the revised livery 57/3's with the option to renumber.

Wouldn't surprise me if the anniversary 57307 is already planned as a limited edition somewhere - along with a few more 66's to accompany the REx 66720 and the LT Museum pair....................

As for the "nothing in it for me", my wallet is fairly safe but I may succumb to a Belle 57/3 to stick on a couple of nuclear flasks. At least I can now proceed with my DBS red MBA and FTPEx 350 in the hope that they won't be around for at least 12 months

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping they might make a 63-ft 10 seating-bay "suburban" coach, so that they could make a 4EPB for people like me who could use several. Especially if the coaches are packed full of passengers.

If Bachmann are producing their Somerset and Dorset 7F in pre-nationalisation condition I wonder if they're going to tool up the correct tender top for it.  The 1925 series 7Fs were built with the Fowler 'coal hole front' tender, whereas all the 7Fs produced so far have been fitted with a 'coal door front' tender.  In pre-nationalisation days they still had their original tenders.

Didn't the second batch also have the larger boilers too? '88' sure did? 

I hope they get the height of the stripes sorted on the RR Mk2's... Way too high.

Was happy when I read ScotRail Mk1's till I looked at the picture.

Roofs would never have been that bad..

My thoughts exactly, even for Mk1s circa 1990. I don't understand why both Bachmann and Hornby offer only certain locos/coaches weathered, why not an A set in pristine condition and a B weathered (if at all), particularly as said weathering is invariably very unrealistic.

In pristine condition I would have thought a Scotrail pair would be very good sellers and I would normally have at least two sets myself. Having seen the pre production photo I'm now not so sure, I think I'll more likely buy normal B/G coaches and some transfers instead.

• RMweb Premium

In the Farish range:-

Class 319 is a surprise. The 47522 in a train set is interesting. Still no class 158 retool, nor VDA van or SSA scrap wagons.

A big disappointment is no Northern Rail Class 150/1 and Class 150/2. Would go nicely with a class 319 Northern Rail set, Class 158, plus Dapols forthcoming 142 and the existing Dapol 153 and 156.

In the Bachmann range:-

Nice to see the Total TTA return. Also like the Metal sector 47, and the Dutch 47, just hope can pick one up with out sound.

The class 158 still in design, most be going to be one heck of a model with all this design. But still means the wallet is safe because I think it will be pricey when it does finally arrive.

Also the class B TTA is still in design too!

I rarely post on RMWeb although I'm an avid reader, but I have to say how disappointed I am on the snail like progress on the H2 Brighton Atlantic and the Birdcage stock, and even more so on the continued lack of news on an upgrade to the venerable Lord Nelson model. Come on on Bachmann!! You've upgraded almost every other split chassis model and this is my absolutely favorite prototype from my childhood days. Will I see it in my lifetime? I do believe on giving credit where it's due and I'm looking forward to seeing the commissioned USA tanks and another E4 this year

I'm far from disappointed and it's nice to see the NSE liveried announcements for the 30th anniversary, although I wish Bachmann had taken some bravery pills and offered us a EMU with a coat hanger on the roof in 00 gauge. (Class 309 or 312 would be my personal bias).

However, having seen 47576, I've looked up the other original liveried 47s to see if they're doable straight from the box. They're not.

The remaining 3 machines (47573 has already been done) all just had battery boxes, so you will need a battery box chassis for 581/582/583...

But wait! Helpfully Bachmann are also releasing 47359 in Metals- with the battery box chassis you would require.

(47359 has 2 straight renumber options those being 305 and 347 for those who are interested).

The cynic in me wonders if this is luck or sales judgement? Rant over.

As for the roofs on the weathered coaches, I agree, they do look somewhat OTT and more the type of thing you'd see on a coach stored/withdrawn in a siding. Although doubtless now someone will post a picture to show just how run down some roofs looked!

Finally, I can't help but wonder if the passengers for the coaches would've been better off as part of the Scenecraft range, to be added if or as desired.

(edit; EMU with a coat hanger on the roof in 00 guage). Thanks for spotting the error Talltim.

The 2HAPs listed are all second series (6043 - 6105) therefore different roof layouts (no roof conduits) and later underframe electrical gear (like on the 4CEPs) to their 2EPB models. So unless the bodies are designed to have different roof slides they will be newly tooled or possibly done inaccurately. However, more SR EMUs are always welcome.

Cheers.

That's useful to know Paul - thanks. But whatever, it will be a whole lot more accurate than me continuing to run EPB's on my Sheppey layout (plus one very dodgy DCK HAP which once I built it, really needs a Blue Badge in the windscreen....)

I'm a very happy bunny with the Blue/Grey 2 HAP - the last gap in my passenger rolling stock (until an all Blue one appears anyway).

That's useful to know Paul - thanks. But whatever, it will be a whole lot more accurate than me continuing to run EPB's on my Sheppey layout (plus one very dodgy DCK HAP which once I built it, really needs a Blue Badge in the windscreen....)

I'm a very happy bunny with the Blue/Grey 2 HAP - the last gap in my passenger rolling stock (until an all Blue one appears anyway).

Slightly OTT, but if there is blog or whatever covering your Sheppy layout, I would love to see it.

• RMweb Premium

Over on MRE, Phil Parker has produced a comprehensive and illustrated review of the new Bachmann announcements yesterday. This includes prototype photos of the new stock and the 'populated' coach with 12 passengers adding about £10 to the cost.

See here http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/720-bachmann2016

Over on MRE, Phil Parker has produced a comprehensive and illustrated review of the new Bachmann announcements yesterday. This includes prototype photos of the new stock and the 'populated' coach with 12 passengers adding about £10 to the cost.

That pic of 20088, Looks like it asn`t the extra fuel tanks.

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping they might make a 63-ft 10 seating-bay "suburban" coach, so that they could make a 4EPB for people like me who could use several. Especially if the coaches are packed full of passengers.

Though since Replica Railways already produce these, and they've been in their range for several years, why wait for Bachmann?

Oh, and am I disappointed with the Bachmann announcement? No. Although there are no completely new models covering the location and time period I need, there are several things announced in previous years I'm waiting for eagerly. Bachmann and their retailers will still get a chunk of my cash in 2016/early 2017. If, as seems likely, the slowdown in announcing completely new-tooled models means that already announced new-tooled models actually get produced within the lifespan of the 2016/2017 catalogue, this is a good thing surely. If Kader were able to wave a magic wand and suddenly clear the backlog in three months, the warehouse at Barwell wouldn't hold it, the retail chain couldn't afford to stock it, and modellers couldn't afford to pay for it.

There's more to come in this topic too, images and information.

One thing I have noticed is that Bachmann appear to be offering for general release items that were previously limited editions? Such as the NSE Mk1 BG, Regional Railways Mk2 TSO, and if the NSE 47 is in original livery then that too.

Didn't the second batch also have the larger boilers too? '88' sure did? 

Yes indeed, but these 2 (to be produced as 89 and 13810) were the first to have their large boilers replaced with the small one.  This was done quite early in their life, in 1930.  Bachmann's intention of numbering one as 13810 is Ok because it carried this number from 1932 until being renumbered by BR. 

However I don't at the moment know whether the other loco will be correct.  This is the loco that's preserved at Butterly.

89 was its S&DJR number which it carried until being renumbered as 9679 by the LMS in 1930.  But 1930 was also when it's large boiler was replaced by the small boiler (Bachmann's model is the small boiler loco) so it maybe that it never carried the number 89 as a small boiler loco, and 89 only applied to its large boiler condition.

I don't know whether the 1930 renumbering happened before, at the same time, or after the boiler change.

I'm away from home at the moment so cant check my own 'library'.  It may be that it carried 89 as a small boiler loco for a very short period (a couple of months?) or that it carried 89 in it's preserved condition.    

Looks to me that Bachmann for certain releases are using stock in hand ( previously slow sellers ) tarted  up (weathered ) to try and clear shelves.

Absolutely nothing to tempt me in the new releases.  

Some nice announcements there (2Hap primarily) and the NSE items. But they could  have done a lot more NSE issues I reckon to cash in better, but a lot of previous issues for NSE have tended to be LEs so maybe they want to reserve some for that?

Would be interesting if the 319 comes to OO, though no real use to me, but some of the derivities could be.

Just read the mremag coverage and the development team is to be trebled in size in an effort to get outstanding items to market and suggested that the catalogue will be a book of items due to be delivered this year not a list of forthcoming items.

Phil also states it was strongly suggested there are more announcements to come. Bachmann usually announce something at the members day later in the year but it would make sense about the lack of brand new steam models if there is a further announcement this week or later.

Cheers

Mark

Sorry can't help it like a good conspiracy theory!

I have now added the missing images to the press release at the start of the topic and added selected product images taken yesterday. Some of these are hand-decorated livery samples.

UJ_club.jpg

Yesterday's event was the start of a nationwide tour by Bachmann for their retail customers and held at the Union Jack Club opposite Waterloo station. A city centre location led to delays in the Bachmann team and the stock arriving at the venue and they were still working hard at it when fellows from the hobby media started to arrive. It was an opportunity to talk to key members of the team about design, production and commercial content. Bachmann work hard at this and obviously see a value in engaging positively with the press and key clients. 

As noted in the opening post one of the most significant facts is that Kader will be increasing the resources in China to progress previously announced projects through the CAD and tooling stages. The resource will be trebled whilst the backlog is addressed. As such yesterday's announcements for this catalogue may seem less than previously but it is a move toward making the catalogue more relevant to when products will actually arrive, during the lifespan of the catalogue. It's also been hinted at there there may be other products to come during the year, especially where there may be an existing relationship. Watch this space during the summer.

What is also relevant is comment that new tooling will have increasing consideration for what variations it can have beyond a specific announcement, an example is the 24/1, not only will it be still produced despite potential competition but it may have knock-on benefits for future announcements within that family. An example of this was shown yesterday in the shape of the 21T grain hopper wagons which will soon have a variation in the top-loading hatches and other areas to accurately portray similar wagons in private ownership.

Grain_wagons_PO_liveries_s.jpg

I was very impressed with the display of the Dynamis RailController software.

With Digital Command Control offering more benefits than ever before, Bachmann is proud to introduce a new user friendly computer-control system allowing you to use each DCC feature to the maximum – the Bachmann Dynamis RailController. This groundbreaking software allows the intuitive and simplified control of DCC-fitted locomotives as well as points and signals, utilizing the full potential of the recently introduced Bachmann Dynamis Ultima DCC system.

The system was displayed on a Windows touchscreen laptop but development is progressing with Apple and Android versions. The laptop is connected via a USB lead to the Dynamis base unit and all loco and accessory control can be managed from the software interface. It was extremely intuitive and has the capacity to easily write movement sequences for both locos and the associated accessories. An example would be to write a sequence for a train running into a terminus, pulling forward after uncoupling, switching any crossovers, running around and backing back onto stock before pulling off again. Very simple and very clever and is a vast improvement on what I have seen of Hornby's Railmaster software. Initially this is likely to be offered with the Dynamis Ultima package but should be available for existing Dynamis users to at around the £50 mark. I understand that there will be a more extensive diaplay of the system at our forthcoming show at the London Festival of Railway Modelling.

Prices were discussed and when published it is likely that customers will see a lower price increase of 2-4% year on year for products which are in consecutive catalogues. Where any larger increase may be seen would be on a product which has not been in the catalogue for a few years and may have to catch up with current production costs.

We discussed the price impact of the 'passengers included' or 'loads included' options, it's likely to add around £10 per coach populated with a dozen or so passengers placed around a vehicle which is the equivalent cost of purchasing suitable Scenecraft figures and adding them to a vehicle, but without the need to gain access to fit your own. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to that. It's not something that would worry many to do but it's surprising how many people don't and it's evident that many buyers like ready made solutions. Wagon loads are expected to add around £1.50 to £2.00 to the price where offered.

Chris_Green_1s.jpg

As much of the new tooling related to the forthcoming 30th Anniversary of Network Southeast it was a pleasure to meet and talk to Chris Green who, 30 years ago, was the BR Sector Director responsible for launching NSE with many interesting stories to tell about the run-up to the launch event at Waterloo and what it meant to the railway, its employees and its customers over the years and also what could have happened if we hadn't had the early 1990s recession.

For anyone coming to our show at Ally Pally I understand that you'll get to see a new Bachmann stand which will have some interesting new features and content.

Archived