Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

Whats the saying, oh yes "Assumption is the mother of all screw ups"

Personally I have no interest in BR late crest, or the desire to recreate the 50s / 60s in miniature - but I don't feel the need to whinge about it on here, nor do I 'assume' that because historically, BR liveries have sold well that such a situation will continue in future.

Out of everything on Bachmanns list, for me the E4s and SDJR 7Fs are the items mist likely to cause me to open my wallet.

If Bachmann are producing their Somerset and Dorset 7F in pre-nationalisation condition I wonder if they're going to tool up the correct tender top for it.  The 1925 series 7Fs were built with the Fowler 'coal hole front' tender, whereas all the 7Fs produced so far have been fitted with a 'coal door front' tender.  In pre-nationalisation days they still had their original tenders.

The 2HAPs listed are all second series (6043 - 6105) therefore different roof layouts (no roof conduits) and later underframe electrical gear (like on the 4CEPs) to their 2EPB models. So unless the bodies are designed to have different roof slides they will be newly tooled or possibly done inaccurately. However, more SR EMUs are always welcome.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

By the same token they could sell lots of Electrostars in different liveries.

They could (which is a big plus of course) - but the Electrostars were not around in the late 90s (and thus were seen alongside BR blue / InterCity / Railfreight / NSE liveried stock).

The 319s by contrast not only have lots of liveries but have been around for a lot longer giving more era possibilities.

They could (which is a big plus of course) - but the Electrostars were not around in the late 90s (and thus were seen alongside BR blue / InterCity / Railfreight / NSE liveried stock).

The 319s by contrast not only have lots of liveries but have been around for a lot longer giving more era possibilities.

Yes, but I want a couple of Southern 377's - after all I work for 'em I don't have a lot of choice in purchases at the moment!

I had no great expectations and these have been adequately fulfilled.

In my indulgement in wish-listing in the preceding thread, I did ask nicely for a DCC ready Collett Goods in Great Western pre-war livery and am delighted that it is to be produced, so there is a sale for Bachmann there.

At the same time I am disappointed that the 64XX is coming in a repeat of the post war livery. I would have thought that those that wanted that would have purchased it last year and next year should be the turn of the modellers of the earlier period who want to run an auto-train. I am wise enough to recognise though that Bachmann have access to data that I don’t and if they see that something with GWR on the side will sell and with a “shirtbutton” will not, I suppose I can’t blame them.

As regards passengers in coaches, I am entirely indifferent until they manufacture a coach that I want to buy. (That said, I do add a few passengers to some of my kit-builds).

I hope there is a little something for you all though.

... I am disappointed that the 64XX is coming in a repeat of the post war livery. I would have thought that those that wanted that would have purchased it last year and next year should be the turn of the modellers of the earlier period who want to run an auto-train.

Is that confirmed somewhere? I must have missed it. I know the announcement said "GWR" green. Is this presuming it is distinct from "Great Western" green?

EDIT: Thanks - I now see this on the website.

The Collett goods does look good with the Churchward tender.

I'm also liking the S&DJR 7F.

Similarly to the 64xx, the new olive E4 is very much like last year's.

• RMweb Premium

Firstly thank you Andy for posting the list of new Bachmann announcements. It's very much appreciated.

So speaking as a modern image modeller and these are purely my opinions and views...

Very nice to see some new locos which I will be buying. So far I have come to the conclusion that I would like...

BR Large Logo Blue 37401 x2. One to keep as the original 401 and a second one to renumber.

EWS 66040 with DCC Sound x1.

Original EWS Liveried 66065 with DB logos x2/3. One to keep as the original 065 and possibly another one or two to renumber.

Compared to last years announcement six locos on my wish list, isn't that much. I'm not complaining because it allows me to save money for other models from different manufacturers.

I am very pleased that I have bought the majority of locos that I wanted as resprays just for the simple reason only one out of the seven I have just bought has been announced today. This being Northern Belle 57305. The resprays I have bought are DRS Revised 57301/303/306/310, DRS 20th Anniversary 57307 and Northern Belle 57305 & 57312. Considering Bachmann already have the 57/3 base model they would just require new liveries applying with them which at the moment they are obviously not keen to do. So yes the lack of new 57/3s validates my decision to buy them as resprays which I am very pleased about. Whilst I am aware that Bachmann wouldn't produce all four of the Revised liveried 57/3s, one could have been produced to allow the option to renumber. Something that does confuse me is the fact that Northern Belle 57312 hasn't been announced with 57305. Seen as they are new pair of locos dedicated to hauling the train in reality wouldn't this have just been common sense to release the pair? Seen as their are only two of them, releasing one and not the other doesn't appear logical as for the people who don't want to/can't renumber they won't have a 57312 to run alongside it. This could possibly be to do with Bachmann already producing 57312 in Network Rail and Virgin Trains colours previously.

Whilst the announcements are very good and as always (just my opinion) Bachmann do produce an outstanding range of models both in diesel and steam locos, wagons, coaches and other rolling stock etc I do feel that a lot of modern image items particularly diesel locos are yet to be announced, which I thought some would feature in today's announcement.

Very surprised not to see any of the following...

DRS Compass 20/3.

HNRC Orange 20/3.

DRS Compass 37601/603/604.

DRS Revised 37716.

DRS Revised 57003/007/010.

DRS Revised 57301/303/306/310.

DRS 20th Anniversary 57307.

Northern Belle 57312.

Considering that all except the DRS/HNRC 20/3s could be produced using current tooling it is very surprising not to see any of the remaining locos announced today especially when all that would be required is the use of an existing Compass livery or the new Revised DRS/20th Anniversary livery.

So yes disappointing not to see DRS Compass/HNRC Orange 20/3s because personally I would have four/five DRS Compass 20/3s and both of the Orange pair, so that would be at least six if not seven just sold to one person. I think that I would be right in saying that the majority of modern image modellers would have these but Bachmann don't seem to want to invest in them at the moment. Maybe next year...that would be wishful thinking.

On the other hand very pleased with the few items on my above list which have been announced today. Looking forward to acquiring some EWS/DB 66s and of course 37/4s in Large Logo Blue. As well as the 66s and 70s that have already been announced in previous years still to arrive the next couple of years should be good.

As mentioned above just my own personal views and opinions. Some will agree, others won't but that's what makes this hobby interesting.

I hope everyone else is pleased with the new announcements.

Plenty to look forward to in next years announcement haha!

• RMweb Gold

The Capital Commuter is a train pack Class 416 in NSE livery with low relief Art Deco station

The unit should be crammed full of commuting passengers with no room for any more.

Good to see another 00 EMU being made available, interesting that the 319 is only in N Gauge but I wonder whether that's to do with factory capacity? Whilst Hornby have emerged from a difficult patch (in terms of delivering on time) Bachmann seem to be well and truly in one for the long term. The number of items that haven't even progressed to sample stage after 2-3 years is astounding. 

I shall place an order for a 2HAP in the hope that it may turn up sometime in 2018. 

• RMweb Gold

Four brief points

Oh well.., must make a start on that Craftsman class 120 DMU kit then.

I was just contemplating full yellow ending one of my new Bachmann NBL Warships, that's just hit the back of the queue.

At least they're not doing a large-boiler SDJR 7F, as I've started mine now, I thought Sod's law would come in to play.

They've not dropped the 24/1 post the SLW sulzer range release, will be watching that one.

Neil

I had no great expectations and these have been adequately fulfilled....

That's about where I am at. The Thompsons will be useful, and it looks like they will be here within a year from now. There's a few wagons I can use too, and a V2 that actually looks like a V2 will get a welcome when it is eventually released.

The minimal all new product announcements something of a disappointment. Why so? I buy suitable product pretty much when released in the quantity required for the layout, and fiddle around with them myself to create the necessary variety. Reliveries, meh. Clearly there are some capacity constraints in product development at Kader; given the typical business model in this class of product is to keep reinvesting the earnings from the initial surge of sales from the all-new releases, into further new tooling, no business would actually reduce introducions of all-new models other than through necessity.

Interesting list for the modern modeller but mainly re liveried but still good choice of locos.

The main disappointment for me is the continued lack of wagons for the 80/90's era produced. There are many opportunities for these in multiple liveries etc... but still nothing of real interest. I.e jxa, sheerness, etc......

Good range for modellers in the current economic circumstances tho

Good luck Bachmann

Archived