Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Still no class 45 with sealed beam lights

I was just about to comment the same about a sealed beam 45 - anybody know if there is a technical reason why this can't happen? Seems logical, easy and I image as much if not more demand for one of these than a tops version with headcodes. I seem to remember Model Rail we're going to do one a few years ago and have a vague recollection of 'tooling issues' being mentioned.

Now 2017 will be 30 years since the launch of Trans-Pennine brand if I'm correct so by same tact as NSE we'll get a sealed beam 45, TP coaches in full livery and branded Blue Grey's and a Gateshead Large Logo 47!!!

Highlander with 101 looks good - I suggested it on here when the 101 came out, but unfortunately my layouts now moved its location so can't justify! Typical.

seems to me theres still plenty in the announcement so contrary to what many were thinking about them forecasting a rationing this year and not expecting much, I think they ought to now be rather pleasantly surprised.

if this is Bachmanns way of saying its a year of "catch up" then boy have we been spoilt in past years.

Spotted a Mk1 SK there in Sealink livery - ideal for those who have the twin pack with BSK to make up a good Sealink rake. Shame they never went down a similar route with the Farish Mk1s.

I do think that passengers should be included in a bag for retro fit and hopefully they will be of good quality and varied.  what will this mean in terms of a price increase though £3 more, £5 more?  Pity they haven't yet started to fit OO Mk1s with proper dcc lighting not just table lamps like the Pullmans and Nightcap cars.

I have to say I am surprised - not in the least by the Bachmann announcement, but rather by our collective response to it,

There was essentially zero excitement demonstrated by RMweb ahead of this announcement - which I had thought represented the understanding that Bachmann (for whatever the reason) has a long backlog of eagerly awaited announcements from some years ago and pragmatically speaking probably wouldn't have a long list of new announcements.

Based on that I was surprised by the overwhelmingly negative tone of posters here.  What on earth were people expecting?

This announcement seemed pretty inevitable to me. There are *some* new things. Bachmann do continue to produce very nice products even if most of them are re-liveried items. Perhaps they need to be cautious to not outspend their revenues?

Perhaps a more modest approach to announcing new products helps ensures margins and profitability for the business, rather than overextending themselves and building lots of new products on borrowed money?

Not surprising when they aren't producing much of anything at the moment, the future lists consists mainly of repaints and wow !! now passengers in coaches not exactly exciting is it?.

Then look further at the lists , how much is in development and other non actual production stages, then finally how little is being actually made at the moment . 

Worrying times for some r.t.r manufacturers.

Not surprising when they aren't producing much of anything at the moment, the future lists consists mainly of repaints and wow !! now passengers in coaches not exactly exciting is it?.

Then look further at the lists , how much is in development and other non actual production stages, then finally how little is being actually made at the moment .

They're actually producing quite a lot - but yes it is mostly repaints. We don't know why Bachmann is drip-feeding new items, several of them announced years ago, so slowly into their production environment. It might be frustrating but the status is clearly communicated.

The bigger question for me is why do consumers seem to only want new, new new?

Items like the S&DJR 7F in black should be lauded. I'm quite pleased with this. I am interested in seeing in what specific liveries the GWR 64xx and Collett goods will appear. These are all good choices of practical locomotives for people "modelling" these railways, as opposed to collecting nice things.

Worrying times for some r.t.r manufacturers.

Indeed so.

• RMweb Premium

I think this is the best we could expect, given the production bottlenecks of the last few years. And let's face it - all the surefire locos have already been made, leaving lots of niche projects with much less certain commercial viability. We all have things we'd like to see made, but these days most of them are risky propositions. I mean, I would love to see a Fowler 2-6-2T, but I can understand why the manufacturers are not falling over themselves to offer me one.

We all have things we'd like to see made, but these days most of them are risky propositions for manufacturers.

I don't think they're risky - they just need to be priced so that the initial run is profitable, since these days there seems to be much less interest in purchasing second run models.

Price sensitivity of the market is an issue there but there is enough demand for a properly costed model to be profitable - just not in the ways tooling used to be amortized over many re-issues.

The Bachmann Branch-Line 2016/17 catalogue will soon be available (if it's not already out).

I'm confident this will be a pretty large volume. Excepting the Scenecraft resin buildings it might seem pretty similar to last year, but clearly there will be lots of models for people to purchase, should they want to.

Ready populated coaches - going to look strange with the carriages sitting in the sidings full of passengers - guard will be in trouble for not getting the passengers off at the last station stop !

Paul

Wot! Not DCC people that can get off the carriages all by themselves?!! That would require opening doors, of course - something I've only seen on the Dublo utility van.

Perhaps hologram passengers would be the way forward?

seems to me theres still plenty in the announcement so contrary to what many were thinking about them forecasting a rationing this year and not expecting much, I think they ought to now be rather pleasantly surprised.

if this is Bachmanns way of saying its a year of "catch up" then boy have we been spoilt in past years.

Spotted a Mk1 SK there in Sealink livery - ideal for those who have the twin pack with BSK to make up a good Sealink rake. Shame they never went down a similar route with the Farish Mk1s.

I do think that passengers should be included in a bag for retro fit and hopefully they will be of good quality and varied.  what will this mean in terms of a price increase though £3 more, £5 more?  Pity they haven't yet started to fit OO Mk1s with proper dcc lighting not just table lamps like the Pullmans and Nightcap cars.

Looking at a pack of Seated figures on the Bachmann website at £7.50 a pop. You will probably want a couple of packs to make a decent coach load. So times that by two plus the extra labour to install them I would expect an increase around the £20 mark.

Whilst I am incredibly surprised to not see a new class of steam locomotive, I am also struggling to be disappointed!

A few years ago the Thanet Flyer set would have been extremely exciting for me, particularly for the Bulleids in SR livery. I wouldn't have a place for it now unfortunately, especially as there is no promise of further Bulleids in this livery. There are a few more adventurous liveries on the steam locos and a few diesels, though I would still be keen to see something in wartime GWR black!

I'm not particularly keen on the concept of populated coaches. Bachmann coaches are already pretty expensive, and the additional cost will presumably be more than just that of the additional raw materials. Pleased to see a few more umber Mk1 Pullmans though, and a new selection of LMS saloons. It will be interesting to see the price difference between the two new 16T mineral wagon packs of 3 - with one being weathered with load, and the other being pristine and empty.

I had hoped to see Talyllyn and Dolgogh announced in OO9, though in truth did not expect it.

So I cast my eye over the announcements and a few things have jumped out me. The NSE buffet has gone on the 'want' list for my part complete NSE set. Steam wise the LMR WD jumped out me straight away and it has been something I have wanted for a while now. The other item that has caught my eye is the Military Manoeuvres set, it looks a rather good. On the modern image side of things the GWR and Northern Belle 57s are wise choices and most likely sell well.

Otherwise I'm a little disappointed with some of the other choices. The chocolate and cream autocoach is interesting, will it be in Dartmouth Steam Railway livery?           

Superb list of announcement. The 2HAP is an absolute winner for me even though I am progressively moving over to N. Not worried about lack of rail blue - plenty of time later for that.

Really pleased to see Bachmann celebrate the 30th anniversary of NSE. In N gauge I would have preferred to have the HAP shrunk down ahead of the class 319, but I will support Farish by getting the NSE version. I am also tempted by the NSE class 47 train pack.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Ready populated coaches - going to look strange with the carriages sitting in the sidings full of passengers - guard will be in trouble for not getting the passengers off at the last station stop !

Paul

A) No stranger than all of the empty coaches one currently sees running on layouts

B) How many people have the space to model carriage sidings??

Looking at a pack of Seated figures on the Bachmann website at £7.50 a pop. You will probably want a couple of packs to make a decent coach load. So times that by two plus the extra labour to install them I would expect an increase around the £20 mark.

An additional £20!!!   If that's the case they won't sell many. It is speculation, but the Bachmann website is showing worrying TBC's for many items. It wasn't long ago that Bachmann were justifying the price of a mk1. Adding passengers sounds counter intuitive!

I have posted details of the Military Manoeuvres set above but for completeness (and I know your post was tongue in cheek)

The Permanent way set is a class 20 in two tone grey with DCC sound two yellow departmental Mk1s (a BSK and Super BG)

The Capital Commuter is a train pack Class 416 in NSE livery with low relief Art Deco station

Two tone grey 20 can only mean 20088?? Unless its more modern which doesnt reallh make sense!

Adding passengers sounds counter intuitive!

Pending the actual pricing, I suspect this is a move that won't last - at least for BR Mk 1 coaches. I can see people going for it in the higher priced DMU models with DCC sound though.

Well, I had no particular expectations. However, I have found Bachman's locos to be very pleasing in the past, so a new N Class in 1941 Bulleid Utility black may tug my purse strings. I have a stablemate ready....

post-489-0-41604900-1456862973.jpg

PB

• RMweb Gold

Two tone grey 20 can only mean 20088?? Unless its more modern which doesnt reallh make sense!

Sorry Dan I missed the number off my post, now duly corrected to indeed read number 20088.

Archived