Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sparkey1957 said:

Can anyone advise me if seating is available to take a break as I'm planning on taking my 93 year old friend. Also are refreshments available. Many thanks.

Yes, the venue has several seats along the side of the layout … also has step free access and toilets. No refreshments though, but as it’s in the town centre there’s several cafes, shops and restaurants close by.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

I wonder how many steps per day Simon walks … do you have a Fitbit or pedometer? Good exercise!

As one of the gophers, including 1.5 set up days and a day away I’m up to 39 miles.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

190 miles away , 3hrs20 in a car , can I convince myself to get my lazy a*se up north ?

I’m working on it !

You will love it hear.....pissing down!

If you can't see the hills its raining if you can see the hills it's about too!

Too be fair dry today but it's going to take weeks to dry out 

• Funny 1

43 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yes there are seats around the perimeter 

Any truth in the rumour that said perimeter chairs have had to be bolted down as the sheer mass of Heaton Lodge has created a localised gravitational anomaly and the chairs keep edging inwards from the perimeter.

Or do the visitors just keep moving them as if they were a platform end trolley :D

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

You will love it hear.....pissing down!

If you can't see the hills its raining if you can see the hills it's about too!

Too be fair dry today but it's going to take weeks to dry out 

Just like wiltshire then 

6 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Myself and two friends made the trip from Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire to Wakefield to see this Masterpiece.  Wow absolutely amazing, the attention to detail on such a large project is mind boggling.  Thoroughly recommend it regardless if you model O gauge or not (I don’t).  Especially like the frost effect.

Superb video my friend. 

I have to admit when it started, my first thought was "when did Simon build that massive block of flats"! :nea:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Myself and two friends made the trip from Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire to Wakefield to see this Masterpiece.  Wow absolutely amazing, the attention to detail on such a large project is mind boggling.  Thoroughly recommend it regardless if you model O gauge or not (I don’t).  Especially like the frost effect.

Thanks very much for a great video and for travelling all that way! And for the great comments. 
Must fix the double headed ‘50’s setting off a bit too quickly though 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, ferret1956 said:

Superb video my friend. 

I have to admit when it started, my first thought was "when did Simon build that massive block of flats"! :nea:

Sorry about including the block of flats but travelling from the south via London to Wakefield was a large chunk of the day, and we couldn’t believe our luck when we had a celebrity 91 to take us to Wakefield. 

• Like 3

Just visited this morning (Fri).

Can only echo what others have said - what a feat of dedication, time, effort, investment and creativity! 

Also, a tip of the hat to the fact that you're not sitting on your laurels but have plans for developing the non-scenic side with a station and a marshalling yard. 

On the venue, it wasn't crowded early on, but by 1130-ish, the barriers along the scenic side were maybe two-thirds occupied by people watching the trains go by. Don't  know what sort of numbers you'd want to make it a financial success, but it looked pretty healthy to me.

Vast majority of visitors wearing masks too, and hand sanitiser available on the way in (the smell of the sanitiser seemed to mask that of the sewage works with the rotating spreader thingies!).

Does the chap by the bridge parapet bottom right of this photo remind you of anyone?

IMG_3993.jpg.a80275c793e604f5341ea4f5e615b526.jpg

• Like 4

Another video here (hope this is ok to post, let me know if not) from when I visited the layout a few days ago. I spent a good few hours watching the trains go by so I managed to capture some from a few different angles.

I will say my video doesn't do it justice so definitely go and see it in person if you can. Well done to everyone involved! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, That Model Railway Guy said:

Another video here (hope this is ok to post, let me know if not) from when I visited the layout a few days ago. I spent a good few hours watching the trains go by so I managed to capture some from a few different angles.

I will say my video doesn't do it justice so definitely go and see it in person if you can. Well done to everyone involved! 

Brilliant Videoing, but my only comment would be the annoying music drowning out the wonderful sound of the passing Locos etc.  Sorry if this seems negative, its meant to be constructive, as the filming quality is superb.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

No I totally understand @Andrew P. I would have preferred there to be no music either but unfortunately the majority of my sound wasn't great. It was quite busy when I went (which was fantastic to see!) so a lot of my audio also features the conversations of those around me who probably didn't realise I was recording. The music is really there just to mask the more dodgy sections where I didn't have useable audio. But glad you enjoyed it for the most part :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Absolutely fantastic layout, I visited yesterday, could’ve stayed all day, having not visited this type of exhibition for many many years what’s worrying is the average age of the people at the event!! Where are all the younger modellers? Doesn’t bode well for the future of the hobby or do people come into it at later stages in life?? 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1