SWAG Member's Day - 2017 - Some thoughts and questions

Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

I believe that a group of exhibitors at the Taunton show last October were very impresed with the catering and ale in the Ring of Bells in Taunton last year. I also believe that a new phenomenawas discovered and found to be very palatable, triple fried chips.

• RMweb Premium

On the catering side, would I be right in assuming that some sort of hygiene/ catering cert is required?

NO !!  Another myth that gets quoted far too many times.

See this guidance from the Food Standards Agency - 2 links at bottom of page - one goes to their guidance document and the other to a series of questions and answers.

https://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforcework/food-law/guidance-enforcement/community-hall-guidance

Food hygiene certificates are not a legal requirement. If you are selling or handling food at a charity event, you need to do so safely – and the information provided on this page will help you do that - but a qualification is not essential.

However you may find yourself in a couple of situations where a Food Hygiene/Safety Certificate is required - if it is necessary to comply with Insurance requirements or if it is a condition of hire for the building - they may have a five star reputation they wish to protect.

Hope that helps and it all goes well for the new team - I organised the very first Members' Day at Mickleover, Derby in 2007 when the Good Captain was one of our visitors !!

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I'm actually part of the South Hampshire Area Group, but the system is offended by our acronym  :nono:

However, as an honorary member of SWAG, I'd be happy to continue supporting the modular group in any way I can.

"and none of you would be able to tell if I was actually having a tot of Jaegermeister instead.

"

So does that mean you're going to call the shots ? ...........gone - whoosh !

• RMweb Gold

SHampAG?

Could be one reason why there is not currently a South Hampshire Area Group; just a random invention from my fevered imagination.  ;)

Still, who wouldn't want to be part of SWAG, with such a wonderful collection of celebrities?

Meanwhile, back at the planning...

Could be one reason why there is not currently a South Hampshire Area Group; just a random invention from my fevered imagination.  ;)

Back in the early 1980's, I was part of a team from County Councils* and the 'Transport & Road Research Laboratory', that looked into providing a computer programme for producing large scale contract estimates - My input was for the Maintenance Section - in the beta stages and when first marketed it had an acronym based on Resource Allocations for Production of Estimates.  The whole programme was then sold off as RATE ('Resource Allocations for Tendering Estimates', finally becoming known as Micro-Rate.

Of course the South Hampshire lot had to be careful as the Shropshire and Hereford Area Group of the S4 Society (or was it P4?) had already claimed this acronym.

* I was with Hereford & Worcester C.C. at the time.   But Cornwall were also involved, which when we travelled down for a weekly session in Truro, I was able to do my B&B at Peter Denny's place.

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic:  Many years ago I was creating a database table for a purchase order system. The column names were only allowed to be 8 characters long ( DL/1 - I said it was a long time ago!), the first 4 characters had to be the table name, in this case V803.

I had three numeric fields to add, Price Unit, Order Unit and Cost Unit, so I named the three fields PUNT, OUNT and couldn't understand why the DBA was in fits of laughter when I showed him my proposal...

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago the then Southampton College of Technology was expanding and decided to change its name; 'South Hampshire Institute of Technology' was proposed before someone realised.... Instead it became the Southampton Institute of Technology and Higher Education, now Solent University.

• RMweb Premium

Back in the early 1980's, I was part of a team from County Councils* and the 'Transport & Road Research Laboratory', that looked into providing a computer programme for producing large scale contract estimates - My input was for the Maintenance Section - in the beta stages and when first marketed it had an acronym based on Resource Allocations for Production of Estimates.  The whole programme was then sold off as RATE ('Resource Allocations for Tendering Estimates', finally becoming known as Micro-Rate.

Of course the South Hampshire lot had to be careful as the Shropshire and Hereford Area Group of the S4 Society (or was it P4?) had already claimed this acronym.

* I was with Hereford & Worcester C.C. at the time.   But Cornwall were also involved, which when we travelled down for a weekly session in Truro, I was able to do my B&B at Peter Denny's place.

Many moons ago I was working in a BR team managing the abolition of the regional M&EE organisations and replacing them with sector-based areas. On one of the more tedious days, my colleagues and I tried to create a new position called the Area Rolling Stock and Overhead Line Engineer. It got about two rungs up the approval ladder before coming to a sudden stop.

Just to confirm that I have just sent off the Hall Agreement and deposit, so you're all committed to a Show now!

Not sure if the Captain has any detailed floor plans, but if not I'm likely to be down in the area in the next month, so could probably arrange to measure and draw up a set for layout planning if it would help?

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I believe Tim has a set of accurate plans which have been well used over the years.

We just need to fill the space now...

Count me in - I can bring a new layout .... if you want me of course ....

• RMweb Gold

I realise that I am bit late to this thread.

I have attended and enjoyed all of the Captain's Taunton events and look forward to containing to support the event.

I am happy to either bring down Fisherton Sarum again (it last visited in 2010!), or a display of Southern Models or indeed assist with catering in some form or other(even if it just washing up!)

• 2 weeks later...

SWAG – Catering – Food for Thought

Following a PM exchange with Tim regarding the catering that his team have supplied for the last 9 years I have had a think about the situation and stick my head above the parapet with a few thoughts.

As a potential Exhibitor and non-local resident I am not able to get too involved directly in the catering on the day, though I am happy to do as much as I can. I have gone through the range and quantities of food and drink required with Tim, and have some understanding of what has been provided in the past. It’s early days yet, but the earlier it’s nailed the more likely it is to work.

From what I can see from my previous nudges we don’t appear to have anyone prepared to take on the role of ‘Catering Manager’ as we currently understand it. If I am wrong in this assumption please stop reading this, let us know and we can all get behind you to get things rolling, and I will delete the rest of this rubbish.

Pause for a day or two before reading any further in case a volunteer turns up, and you can ignore the ramblings of some loudmouth who doesn’t even live in the South West :umbrage: ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

O.K. so assuming no one has stepped up at this stage here are a set of observations that will hopefully crystallise thoughts. I know I’m a Grockle, but I am trying to do all I can to help from a distance to get the last piece of the jigsaw in place. I’m also open to being told to bu**er off and mind my own business.

My first thoughts were that if no-one would take on the role we would have to do without and bring our own, - not a major problem but it has a couple of down-sides.

• There will be no catering for any visitors who don’t realise there is nothing being provided.
  • There will be no catering for Exhibitors and Traders, hardly welcoming.
  • There will be a poorer ‘feel’ to the day.
  • Most importantly it should be a source of revenue for the Charity, without it there isn’t much scope to generate money other than the auction.

I thought that we could bring in outside catering, and indeed we might be able to source a supplier, but it will raise no money for the Charity and will probably involve increased costs for food.

Then I realised that the Main Event still doesn’t have a ‘Responsible Adult’* to lead it but everything seems to be getting sorted, so perhaps the same is true of the catering.

*(Actually I think it’s Stu, but he just doesn’t realise it yet.)

So finally putting all those wasted hours of crappy management courses into use, I adopted my usual plan for eating an elephant – break it down into pieces and do it one bite at a time.

What are the problems or barriers that have stopped anyone rushing forward? - I think they are probably.

1. A fear that it’s a huge task that is close to running a restaurant.
  2. A fear that it will result in a total loss of the day for the person concerned.
  3. A fear that they need a Hygiene Certificate, and will have to prepare loads of food.
  4. The hope that someone else is a bigger idiot and will do it for them.

Point 1 - In fact there has been quite a considerable input from Tim and team, and has basically involved at least three people for the majority of the day. (I think? – Tim can verify)

My thought is to simplify the process wherever possible, to get a broadly similar result with a bit less work. It’s not going to be as good, but let’s try to make it as good as we can? Surely anything's better than nothing.

Point 2 – Like the Event Organiser role it could be a day wiped out, but if lots of us do a bit it won’t impact as much.

Point 3 – While it would ideal for an organiser and team to have a Certificate it’s not essential or a Legal Requirement (I do need to check out the Event Insurance), and while it’s a good idea for food preparation I’m thinking of ways by which we can cut that part of the work down to a minimum.

Point 4 – By now it’s becoming apparent that it isn’t going to happen.

So here are a few proposals to be shot down, remember it’s either this (or an evolution of this) or nothing at present, and even then only if we get enough volunteers. You should also forgive some over simplification, it’s partly due to my ignorance of the process, and partly down to a view that any problems would get sorted once people come on board.

With regard to the shooting down I will take most notice of any views Tim has, as he is the man who’s been there seen it done it, anyone else who is in a similar position should be volunteering to run things! Constructive criticism and ideas, on the other hand, are welcome.

Washing up. Historically there has been a need to do a considerable amount of washing up, which takes time and manpower, how about we compromise on the china cups and go for a more minimalist refreshment scheme?  I get corrugated paper cups and lids, sachets of coffee , (including some decaff), teabags on strings, sugar, and we set up a tea urn full of boiling water to self-serve. The person on duty at the tea-bar can just sell the cup and beverage sachet and we help ourselves to milk, sugar and water. It will need a bit of house-keeping to keep the table clean and stocked, but it’s not a full time task.

Plastic plates (not really cheap paper ones) can replace crockery, and all we then need to do is ensure the rubbish is collected and dealt with. Not ideal, but I think it will cut down on manpower.

Lunchtime meals. We have been spoiled with Pasties, Chicken Pie, Ploughman’s Lunches, and side salads up to now. Of these I would guess that the greatest labour input was preparing the Ploughmans and the salads. The other comestibles are just a case of putting stuff in the ovens and ensuring they are properly warmed up. (Probably an over simplification, but we’ll worry about that later!)

So what if we cut out the Ploughmans? – or is there an easier alternative? – I’m still thinking about the side salads, and perhaps need further discussion with Tim, as I do think we need to offer something green other than Pannier Tanks.

Perhaps a degree of preparation on the Saturday? - One of the reasons for my frequent forays into ‘The Realm’ has been to fit out a 30m2 Cake Kitchen/teaching studio for my daughter, who is now preggie with grandson no 2, so it’s currently standing empty, so maybe that might work, but it needs a bit of R&D to sort storage, packing, and shelf-life etc. Who knows it may even be possible to sort Ploughman’s the day before, but again it needs some investigation and ideas from the group as a whole.

The net result aims to be a provision that just needs stuff putting in the oven, taking out and selling, with minimal preparation on the day. I would also suggest we only serve lunches from around 12.30 until 2? (Though the time taken in heating of food may screw that one up)

Cakes. Previously a highlight of the day, it’s now down to us to organise the delivery of about 8 or so cakes, that shouldn’t be too difficult to arrange between us surely. As I noted earlier I have a cake maker in the family, so I can arrange for at least one, from then on it’s just down to volunteers for some more, any shortfall can be dealt with by resorting to bought-in, though that affects the bottom line. From my initial scribblings I think this is one of the main contributors to Charity Funds for the whole of the catering, if we can source them between us, as the whole sale price goes into the pot.  

Manpower. The only way this is going to work is if we share the workload, it’s obvious no-one wants to be stuck with catering all day, so a rota will work if there are enough volunteers. My initial thoughts for the ‘SWAG lite’ catering I am suggesting, are for one person to man the counter from 10 until 12 and 2 until 4, and at least two from 12 ‘till 2, (though again Tim can comment if he feels that’s unrealistic). It will also need a 9 ‘till 10 set up man and a 4 ‘til 5 tidy up and minor washing up of baking trays etc. (Unless we went for disposable foil?) I make that a minimum requirement of 10 one hour shifts, though additional help will be useful, the more helpers the more we can get the catering closer to the 9 year standard set by Team Tim.

So there we are, subject to the shooting down and evolution of ideas there seems no great barrier other than finding around a dozen people willing to help for an hour, ideally with someone to supervise around the lunch period when it’s busiest. We could also do with provisional commitment to supply half a dozen cakes.

Tim has said he will get pasties and pies organised as long as he’s still in the vicinity of his supplier.  I’m happy to arrange for everything else to be there, (Beverages, cups, plates, milk etc.)  I will  provide a cake or two, maybe get some prep done on Saturday, and get some rubbish taken away in the car, if there’s room with the layout.

If anyone wants to play with my layout I can always then chip in a shift on the catering as well.

Any thoughts, ideas, offers??

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Thanks peter and I agree with the bit in brackets. Very happy to provide a couple or three cakes, my lemon drizzle is pretty good even if I say it myself - well when provided to friends and relations it seems to disappear very quickly.

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter for your analysis and comments, you're definitely going in the right direction!

When it comes to heating pasties and pie portions up, you will need (a) a meat thermometer and an understanding of what temperature to heat them to, and for how long (I can ask the ladies in the previous catering team about that) and (b) robust baking trays, as a dozen pasties etc. weighs quite a lot, I would definitely not entrust that to a more flimsy foil tray. There should be baking trays provided in the hall kitchen, but some of them seemed to disappear one year, so we did also get in the habit of bringing a couple of our own.

Three full time people is the absolute minimum, which we fortunately always achieved, plus volunteers for washing up etc. There are one or two regulars at the event who may be happy to continue helping in this matter, perhaps put out a request on the forum and see who comes forward.

We always found that as soon as pasties are available, there's always some folk who will have one there and then. We normally had them available from 1100 at the latest, with the last ones (apart from the unsold 'special offers') usually being asked for by 1430 (which is the time we've traditionally held the auction).

Double-manning the serving hatch is not really the issue, there isn't space for more than one person to stand there and serve, what is really needed is more than one person behind, in the kitchen, supporting the person doing the serving, ensuring that the tea is fresh and available, that the cake stand by the hatch is refilled (from the main cake stocks on the trolley in the kitchen) etc.

Hope this helps.

Archived