Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

I've just secured a replacement SWS from Hereford Model Centre for £164.95 including p+p.

If anyone is still trying to secure one, they currently have seven left.

Thank you Ian for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up with regards to the 7 available , as of now (20:00)  they only have 4 left.

Thanks

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Slight problem with my 46256. Body was loose when I removed from the carton. Rear body screw was tight (but not over tight) so I thought the issue would be the body not locating on the front lug. Unlike the old model where the casting lugs lock into the body, on the new version the body has a lug that locks onto the chassis at the front. This lug is plastic and on mine it is snapped. So another thing to check on a prospective purchase - if the body is loose this may be the issue.

Not sure what to do now - it’s from Rails and whilst I am sure there would refund I’d want a replacement they probably don’t have.

Second option is to repair - I’m currently wondering about a thin piece of material glued or screwed to the body but it will have to be very thin so as not to raise the body on the chassis. Any other suggestions welcome. Rubbish phone photo of the snapped lug attached.

post-1047-0-20101400-1509481258_thumb.jpeg

Slight problem with my 46256. Body was loose when I removed from the carton. Rear body screw was tight (but not over tight) so I thought the issue would be the body not locating on the front lug. Unlike the old model where the casting lugs lock into the body, on the new version the body has a lug that locks onto the chassis at the front. This lug is plastic and on mine it is snapped. So another thing to check on a prospective purchase - if the body is loose this may be the issue.

Not sure what to do now - it’s from Rails and whilst I am sure there would refund I’d want a replacement they probably don’t have.

Second option is to repair - I’m currently wondering about a thin piece of material glued or screwed to the body but it will have to be very thin so as not to raise the body on the chassis. Any other suggestions welcome. Rubbish phone photo of the snapped lug attached.

Contact the seller. There may well some extra locos which have not been made available for sale in case of issues such as yours. If there are none, what have you lost by asking?

I simply have had to pre-order a Rails LMS 46229   maybe it should be 6229, in LMS lined black, since it was the 2004 Honby 'City of Glasgow' in similar guise which encouraged me to re-enter the world of 00 model railways in 2004 after 36 years away from the hobby.

Bravo!

• Like 2

Contact the seller. There may well some extra locos which have not been made available for sale in case of issues such as yours. If there are none, what have you lost by asking?

FYI, Hornby under produced SWS by some margin, I obtained my original from Hornby Direct which had valve gear issues.

Hornby have no spares to offer as the run has all been sold out, leaving many dealers unable to fulfil pre-orders.

I obtained my replacement today from Hereford Model Centre, someone on here mentioned 4 left in stock but that won't last long.

Good luck with your quest.

If the detached portion of the lug is present and it's a clean break, then for repair I would carefully reattach it with polystyrene cement - the body is polystyrene and the cement affords a very strong bond. I completely understand if you would prefer to return, but should you decide to sort it this may be an option.

• RMweb Gold

So 46229 from a Rails, i’m Debating this it looks really nice.

When Bachmann announced Madras (Jubilee) in this livery I was really non-plussed , but after release, in the flesh it it looks very nice, but I was still unsure...

I’m coming round to the idea, that whilst LNER green locos with BR numbers look pretty, LMS ones in Black with BR numbers are actually looking equally good..

Might wait to see if Locomotion pulls a different variation of Hamilton out of the hat in the next day then decide, we haven’t seen what R3594 is yet. If it follows the pattern below, then it’s a guess 6229 is coming..

R3595 Q1 C1,

R3596 5000,

R3597 46229,

R3598 33001

R3599 45000

If it’s 6229, it was streamlined before it was black (R3597), being destreamlined in December 1947, the only time it was LMS maroon destreamlined was at Butlins, otherwise it was Blue 50-52, Green 52-58 then Maroon in BR days.

Whilst not uncommon to see gaps in R numbers it’s noteworthy that there’s two gaps in R numbers around the H class too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

The TTS fitted Duchess is a semi, 46235 COB, which is coming out next year, I guess to try and work on the sound for the decoder.

City Of Birmingham is as preserved with fully circular smokebox.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/244020/Hornby_R3509TTS_Class_8P_Princess_Coronation_4_6_2_46235_City_of_Birmingham_in_BR_green_TTS_Sou/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

I remember it in the Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry being jacked along the track. To be so close to it was quite an experience. Shame about the TTS in it. The model, I mean. The idea of moving it a few feet received some derision at the time but I thought it a stunning idea. Doing that for locos in the NRM woud be excellent. It probably wouldn’t be done for fear of little ones getting tangled in the motion. *sigh*

That'll keep the new boss of Hornby happy, he wants to cut out discounting unfortunately.

If the new CEO wants to go down the no discount route with Hornby products, a marked improvement in quality control wouldn't go amiss.

If he expects people to pay RRP or near to it, would it not be reasonable to have some spare items/parts in stock in case of the inevitable transit damage or out and out dud ?

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember it in the Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry being jacked along the track. To be so close to it was quite an experience. Shame about the TTS in it. The model, I mean. The idea of moving it a few feet received some derision at the time but I thought it a stunning idea. Doing that for locos in the NRM woud be excellent. It probably wouldn’t be done for fear of little ones getting tangled in the motion. *sigh*

A number of retailers will doubtless sell them without the TTS module in due course.

• RMweb Gold

If the new CEO wants to go down the no discount route with Hornby products, a marked improvement in quality control wouldn't go amiss.

If he expects people to pay RRP or near to it, would it not be reasonable to have some spare items/parts in stock in case of the inevitable transit damage or out and out dud ?

This is the very reason my wife (who paid for my 46256 as a birthday present) insisted it had to go back rather than me attempt a repair ‘at that price it should be perfect’. I appreciate Hornby and retailers need to make the maximum return from sales but QA needs to be higher. If either Hornby or the retailer had checked my Duchess the fault would have been obvious and I doubt the model would have been dispatched. And the currently non existent spares stock would be + 1 :)

• Like 1

Th

As a casual addition, 46235 is the only one that retains an "inletted semi smokebox". a number of the Streamlined engines were changed from a Semi to a fully circular by addition of a new round smokebox (including 46229, which ironically has now been cut to allow for the streamlined smokebox), whereas CofB still has its modified Semi smokebox, the modifications of which BR made can still be seen inside the smokebox I'm told. 

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

What is the provenance of City of Salford?  I like the coal pusher!!

Hill jf2682. The tender is from the old comet stable. But I cut a spare super detail chassis down to fit inside the comet outer chassis this keeps the pickup supply from the tender. There is a few posts on the build which didn't always go to plan. Steamport is correct the newer model as the tender pusher under the false coal load.