Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

Real steam locos also make copious clouds of steam and smoke but no one, not even the DCC sound enthusiasts worry a jot about that.

I do. I don’t like the idea of smoke in confined spaces or heating elements in plastic bodies. Model high summer! Steam often dissipates before condensing and good quality coal, good design and skilful firing often result in little visible exhaust.

Alternatively, model the NCB and Lempor ejectors. They were said to produce no more than a heat shimmer even when lighting up.

... there seem to be lots of options for modellers to hack about the trailing truck to suit their own preferences and layouts.

Quite so - that is what I will do.

My point is simply that, in many recent cases, the way that Hornby have modelled the trailing trucks as separate items, it would appear to be the case that they have made an extra effort to ensure that the truck cannot pivot, rather than have the option to be fixed or pivotting.

I have had to remove this fixing structure on several locos, when it would have been easier for Hornby not to have incorporated it in the first place, and just provided a locking screw.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

MikeParkin65, on 29 Oct 2017 - 11:27, said:snapback.png

Real steam locos also make copious clouds of steam and smoke but no one, not even the DCC sound enthusiasts worry a jot about that.

Too right. Personally, I'm happy learning about DCC sound every day....It is so intriguing, but that's a far as I wish to go for the moment. I draw the line at smuts of soot in my eyes, scalds from steam, ash melting Peco sleepers and the fear of my little puffers burning the shed down...   :tender:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I do. I don’t like the idea of smoke in confined spaces or heating elements in plastic bodies. Model high summer! Steam often dissipates before condensing and good quality coal, good design and skilful firing often result in little visible exhaust.

Alternatively, model the NCB and Lempor ejectors. They were said to produce no more than a heat shimmer even when lighting up.

Some  may  remember that in  the  late  70s/80s  the  use  of  indoor  smoke  units  in   indoor  situations  such as  exhibitions  was  discussed, it  had  been  found  that  the  inhalation  of  the  smoke  was  more 'dangerous' than  inhaled  passive  cigarette smoke,  some  exhibition managers  banned  smoke  unit  use.

I  very  rarely  used  the  smoke  units  on  my  Garden  Railway,  even  outdoors  when  the  wind  was  calm  the  smoke   could  become  oppressive.

I’m going to ask for a swap.

I’m sure they will be fine changing it.

Just a bit fed up to get excited on my last free Sunday for a few weeks was over before I put turned the power on.

Sadly my DJ 71 just arrived from Merseyside and that’s got scratches all over it too.

Not a good day for modelling.

If the Sheffield was Rails, they’re very good and will even e-mail a reply paid label. Short of sending someone in person, you can’t ask for much more. All the same, it is a shame when that sort of thing happens.

MikeParkin65, on 29 Oct 2017 - 11:27, said:snapback.png

Too right. Personally, I'm happy learning about DCC sound every day....It is so intriguing, but that's a far as I wish to go for the moment. I draw the line at smuts of soot in my eyes, scalds from steam, ash melting Peco sleepers and the fear of my little puffers burning the shed down...   :tender:

I have only one DCC fitted loco (a black 5) with DCC controlled smoke. It is the oldest sound fitted model I have. I can have either smoke or sound but not both at the same time. It also has a working headlight and firebox glow. The work required to fit sauté smoke units renders the option as being fairly pointless. If someone could do a proper DCC suitable smoke unit like we see on some German Roco models, which will fit in the smoke box, then it might be worth it. As it is, smoke on, which means pouring out lots of smoke in an unrealistic manor has meant no other DCC loco of mine has been so fitted. Working lights and firebox glow have been used again. My only issue now is that modern tender locos have chip and speaker both in the tender. My preference would be for chip to be in the loco and speaker in the tender. This avoids increasing the numbers of wires from 4 to 6 or 8 between loco and tender or needing to buy and fit a second functional chip.

• RMweb Gold

Some  may  remember that in  the  late  70s/80s  the  use  of  indoor  smoke  units  in   indoor  situations  such as  exhibitions  was  discussed, it  had  been  found  that  the  inhalation  of  the  smoke  was  more 'dangerous' than  inhaled  passive  cigarette smoke,  some  exhibition managers  banned  smoke  unit  use.

I  very  rarely  used  the  smoke  units  on  my  Garden  Railway,  even  outdoors  when  the  wind  was  calm  the  smoke   could  become  oppressive.

Some research holds them to be carcinogenic.If this is the case why would anyone want to take that risk?

A simple look on the net alone reveals a few of even the big box shifters have not had theirs yet.

An even simpler message or two on Messenger yesterday revealed they have and have taken them off sale as they have been all pre-ordered. Not much point in listing them on your website if you don't have any left over. Hattons sold out, Rails, sold out. Kernow had 5 for sale.

Looking at my back order and lack of invoice, suggests we aren't getting any.

No clue about my order, pre-ordered with Rails, debit card was declined because the limit was over-spent for the month. Messaged Rails via two platforms and still awaiting a reply 4 days later (I assume the folks there are busy). Hoping to know what's the issue, do I provide alternative details or will they be kind enough to wait a day or two until the card can be used again.

• RMweb Premium

I’m going to ask for a swap.

I’m sure they will be fine changing it.

Just a bit fed up to get excited on my last free Sunday for a few weeks was over before I put turned the power on.

Sadly my DJ 71 just arrived from Merseyside and that’s got scratches all over it too.

Not a good day for modelling.

Check with them re: the availability of a replacement before sending it back!  They are selling very fast, though Atholl rather less so than William.

An even simpler message or two on Messenger yesterday revealed they have and have taken them off sale as they have been all pre-ordered. Not much point in listing them on your website if you don't have any left over. Hattons sold out, Rails, sold out. Kernow had 5 for sale.

Looking at my back order and lack of invoice, suggests we aren't getting any.

Kernow had six R3555 for sale overnight but are not listing it now.  I picked one up from their stand at the Bodmin MREx this morning.  They are still listing Atholl though.  

• RMweb Premium

Tongue-in-cheek - nothing less than Peco largest radius here. My point was that, even on prototype radii, movement of the prototype trailing truck was quite evident.

Surely, one point of fora such as this one is to bring to the attention of RTR producers the views of the consumer? The effective pressure of such expressed opinions is evident in the demise of the Hornby Stanier tender 'valance'.

If enough consumers were to make it clear to Hornby that the option to have a swivelling pony truck is desired, they may well act. I have explained in this thread - more than once, (see #708) - how this could be achieved whilst still retaining the default option of a fixed / flangeless truck.

It is surely counter to the aims of this forum to close down discussion on particular subjects, just because the moderators may not agree with the point being made?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm with you on this, for what it's worth. I discussed this with SK at Warley years ago when the Brit was brought out. I had had the trailing bogie and chassis modified to make it more prototypical and to work around 30" radii. SK looked at the conversion and politely told me that it was so designed as it looks good, in the manner of the engineer - if it looks good it is good. The same work was done on the modified SR Battle of Britain, which also had a pivoting trailing bogie, and to the Clan, which was basically a Brit chassis.

To my view, what is wrong with politely putting forward one's opinion? The thing here is that Hornby blithely ignore such a simple issue, working on the basis that one design principle (mod BoB/Brit/Clan/Princess Coronation chassis) suits all and working to the the 'if it looks good' principle. I also don't agree that a modeller should spend on a model so to modify it so that it is nearer the protoype on such basic an issue, particularly when the mod BoB, Brit/Clan and this Ivatt Princess Coronation are concerned.

Rant over, full steam ahead with a modified trailing truck on City of Sheffield. Stand-by with flak jacket and helmet.

• Like 1

I'm with you on this, for what it's worth. I discussed this with SK at Warley years ago when the Brit was brought out. I had had the trailing bogie and chassis modified to make it more prototypical and to work around 30" radii. SK looked at the conversion and politely told me that it was so designed as it looks good, in the manner of the engineer - if it looks good it is good. The same work was done on the modified SR Battle of Britain, which also had a pivoting trailing bogie, and to the Clan, which was basically a Brit chassis.

To my view, what is wrong with politely putting forward one's opinion? The thing here is that Hornby blithely ignore such a simple issue, working on the basis that one design principle (mod BoB/Brit/Clan/Princess Coronation chassis) suits all and working to the the 'if it looks good' principle. I also don't agree that a modeller should spend on a model so to modify it so that it is nearer the protoype on such basic an issue, particularly when the mod BoB, Brit/Clan and this Ivatt Princess Coronation are concerned.

Rant over, full steam ahead with a modified trailing truck on City of Sheffield. Stand-by with flak jacket and helmet.

I think we need a separate topic for fixed and pivoting trailing bogies. If it such a good idea why don't Bachmann or any of the N and O gauge manufactures do it?

• RMweb Premium

Do Bachmann make any Pacifics apart from LNER ones which have the Cartazzi Truck?

Jason

They do some Yankee Pacific's but I don’t think they have anything other than LNE currently in their British range. They have several six coupled tank engines with trailing bogies though.