Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

I now have some photo's of Duchess Of Atholl. There will be a video to follow when it has finished processing, and has been uploaded to YouTube.

I will let the photo's speak for themselves. Just to add that they were taken indoors, and not natural light. This, I suppose, will affect the rendition of the maroon in particular.

post-22631-0-80072600-1509137563_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-93073500-1509137630_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-55704300-1509137686_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-96949900-1509137716.jpg

post-22631-0-79966900-1509137758_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-06833000-1509137809_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-69493100-1509137854_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-49858100-1509137884_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-09280300-1509137906_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-75083600-1509137925_thumb.jpg

I hope you will enjoy seeing these photo's, and that they show just what a top quality model this is.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S.I have the details, in the bag, yet to add.

• Like 9

Here's another view of this fine machine.

I must thank Derails models for their prompt service, a lot less than 24 hrs from phone order, to delivery.

It's alright for some. I was told by Derails on Tuesday over the phone that my Oxford Rail Dean Goods was being sent out that same day via 1st class courier. I am sat here on Friday evening and there is still no sign of it. Hmmm. 

All sorted, after excellent communication and problem solving from Derails - it is Her Majesty's Royal Mail who should have been, and now are, the target of my ire. I shall now leave all of you cronies of Crewe* to it....

CoY

*Although the GWR DNA on these beasts is not lost on me!

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Gold

It's alright for some. I was told by Derails on Tuesday over the phone that my Oxford Rail Dean Goods was being sent out that same day via 1st class courier. I am sat here on Friday evening and there is still no sign of it. Hmmm. 

CoY

Morning CoY, I've just left you a voicemail regarding this and would appreciate if you could give me a ring ASAP. I'm entirely not sure what's happened here but I think our good friends at Royal Mail have been meddling, the parcel was despatched Royal Mail First Class Recorded on Tuesday and the tracking shows it having been at Bristol Mail Centre since Tuesday night.

We'll be despatching another one once we've heard from you to confirm a day you'll be in to receive and sign for via special delivery, we'll keep an eye on the tracking of the original and if we see it's on the move, we'll be in touch regarding it's return (as I'm sure you don't want two... ;) )

Once again, if you could get in touch ASAP we'll get this sorted for you, and sorry for any inconvenience.

(Also, sorry for the off topic mods)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

deliver attempted to my house yesterday, but was at university and couldn't skip. So I have to wait to Monday now to pick it up.

What I've seen on here the model looks, super worth the wait. Looking forward to being able to compare it with City of Salford.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

Mine is at presently on a running in turn 8 Mk1's in tow running like a sewing machine :sungum:

Good effort Rails of Sheffield, my Duchess of Atholl arrived this week very promptly and for the preorder price of £149, which is still the most I have ever paid out for a model loco!

Gingerly popped mine on the roundy roundy this evening for a test, yes very smooth running definitely, but not as quiet as I would have liked or expected, especially at lower speeds, absolutely beautiful to behold however, especially hauling a rake of coaches.

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 1

I think Hornby has been quite clever with the colour. It has a beautiful sheen, unlike some of the lacklustre offerings of a few years ago. If the finish had been very matt, I can imagine there would be more grumbles than there are. The sheen lifts the dark shade very nicely.

I think Hornby has been quite clever with the colour. It has a beautiful sheen, unlike some of the lacklustre offerings of a few years ago. If the finish had been very matt, I can imagine there would be more grumbles than there are. The sheen lifts the dark shade very nicely.

This was discussed, as a matt finish is fatal on crimson lake.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I now have some photo's of Duchess Of Atholl. There will be a video to follow when it has finished processing, and has been uploaded to YouTube.

I will let the photo's speak for themselves. Just to add that they were taken indoors, and not natural light. This, I suppose, will affect the rendition of the maroon in particular.

attachicon.gifIMG_4987.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4989.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4990.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4996.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5003.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5006.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5010.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5012.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5013.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5019.JPG

I hope you will enjoy seeing these photo's, and that they show just what a top quality model this is.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S.I have the details, in the bag, yet to add.

Thanks for those pics, I particularly like the darkish appearance of the wheels and motion. 

post-7929-0-38685500-1509215244_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Hornby has represented the livery of Duchess of Atholl very well on the box.

Hornby-Dublo used to have a colour picture of their Duchess and City locomotives on their boxes. Wrenn had a rather dull box and used the same box for different locomotives. Tri-ang Hornby had a black illustration on a light background but I think that the latest Hornby boxes are works of art.

The boxes have grown bigger over the years but it easier to remove the locomotives from the Hornby boxes than it was a few years ago.

post-17621-0-56035700-1509215092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I succumbed to an Atholl when in Monk Bar Models yesterday, and she is glorious! This afternoon I've had my oval of radius 3 out on the living room floor (with appropriate support underneath) and she's had a good running in.

With a few old Hornby blue and silver Coronation Scot coaches and a couple maroon ones hanging off the tender, she certainly looked terrific! I think I'll have to invest in some slightly more modern coaching stock to go with her. It might even encourage me to actually get around to buying (gradually) and building (even more gradually) the proper silver striped CoroScot set!

post-7895-0-95078800-1509216948_thumb.jpg

Cheers

J

Edited to add photo

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 4

Guest Midland Mole

Are Hereford Model Centre the only major retailer that hasn't had their delivery from Hornby yet? As 46256 & the H class are selling out fast, I'm getting nervous about my order from them. Silly, I know, as they're only model trains, but...

There are a number of retailers getting their deliveries Monday/Tuesday.

Alex

• Like 1

At the barn at Godlingston Manor in Swanage I compared my new Hornby ' Duchess of Atholl' with my 37 year old Wrenn 'City of Liverpool'.

I ran in the 'Duchess of Atholl' light for half an hour. It ran at a medium speed at 40% power whereas the 'City of Liverpool' needed 80% power for the same speed.

The 'Duchess of Atholl's ' front bogie derailed on a large gap on the inner circuit and the tender derailed on the outer curve a couple of times whereas there were no derailments with the 'City of Liverpool'. The Wrenn City is the sort of locomotive that you can leave to run while you are doing something else whereas you need to keep a watchful eye on the Duchess all the time. The Wrenn tender has a metal chassis which means that the weight is in the right place whereas I think the Hornby tender is too light. I did not like the fixed pony truck with flangeless wheels on the Hornby Duchess as it looked ridiculous on 2' 6" radius curves.

The detail on the Hornby Duchess was much better than the Wrenn version and I liked the removable coal, the glazed windows and the sliding ventilators on the cab roof.

post-17621-0-43545600-1509217500_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-45702300-1509217553_thumb.jpg