Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

Well this is a bit odd... Hattons website is now displaying R3555 Sir William Stanier as sold out on pre-order, but they have more than 10 in stock, now listed at the full RRP of £189.99. Hopefully there’s not another gremlin in their stock control system!

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

We spoke to Hornby this morning and our order is definitely coming this week, most likely Wed/Thurs/Fri. Anyone who has pre-ordered them from us will be getting a phone call from me as soon as they are on my desk. :)

All our Staniers and SECR H Classes are accounted for, but we do have more stock of Atholl available.

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole @ Footplate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

46256 runs smoothly and silently straight out of the box.Pony truck in common with some other Hornby models a little light and wayward over baseboard joins/variations in track i.e it derails light engine at certain points where there is a lift or drop in height.However when under load .....9 on......things are dramatically different and the annoying habit ceases.This is one powerful beast that can shift at low input and crawl with a load at prototypical speed.It's fully in command of the situation....as indeed a Duchess should be. Acknowledgements to Little Dan at Derails for testing her and delivering her ex-works in fine,secure style.Oh,thanks too to the livery guru...nice job :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well this is a bit odd... Hattons website is now displaying R3555 Sir William Stanier as sold out on pre-order, but they have more than 10 in stock, now listed at the full RRP of £189.99. Hopefully there’s not another gremlin in their stock control system!

It won’t even show up for me, whereas R3553 shows, with a price of £161.

46256 runs smoothly and silently straight out of the box.Pony truck in common with some other Hornby models a little light and wayward over baseboard joins/variations in track i.e it derails light engine at certain points where there is a lift or drop in height.

Mine looks like it's had some heavy landings on its travels and one of the traits was that the front wheels were not making full contact with the desk or railhead. A quick tweak of the metal cradle above the bogie has sorted that. Otherwise it would have derailed as soon as it encountered any pointwork.

• RMweb Premium

It won’t even show up for me, whereas R3553 shows, with a price of £161.

yes you are right, it has now disappeared. I promise you it was there an hour ago! Hattons have been having problems with their listings since their stock take early last month, perhaps there are still some residual gremlins.

Having looked at the loco SWS on ebay, the right hand cylinder in the photograph appears to out of alignment to the running plate.

It may be the camera angle, but definitely worth checking out considering mine fell apart on the first run.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

They most probably came in and went out again. The SECR H also just suffered the same glitch. Neither appear on their site now.

Having looked at the loco SWS on ebay, the right hand cylinder in the photograph appears to out of alignment to the running plate.

It may be the camera angle, but definitely worth checking out considering mine fell apart on the first run.

I suspect this may apply to many. I rejected the first Sir William I was shown as the cylinders seemed too angled on both sides.

Lots of studying the pictures in my Irwell book suggests the Coronations had the cylinders angled very slightly ....say 2 degrees. It all depends on the impact of light from the sky on a clean cylinder or a mucky one.

I have resigned myself to adjusting the cylinders on my Stanier FRS when I am sure how they should really be.

On another matter, despite being pleased overall, I do not like the slidebars. Too thin and I strongly suspect the same product used on Hornby's last edition. Also the crosshead piece of valve gear ( can someone offer the proper name !) also seems to be from the old model. The giveaway is that it should be fluted and like the old model it is not. Anyone got any ideas about sorting that ? Do Comet or Alan Gibson do etched valve gear for the Coronation ?

At the risk of being the party pooper on this thread....and I emphasise I am happy overall....otherwise I would not have bought it.....I do not like the thickness of the tender sides both at the front cab part and at the rear. Very like the old ( ancient ? ) tooling of the  Stanier 4000 tenders with the Black 5's and Scots/Patriots. I may just put up with it or thin them down. Easier said than done !

• RMweb Gold

Mine looks like it's had some heavy landings on its travels and one of the traits was that the front wheels were not making full contact with the desk or railhead. A quick tweak of the metal cradle above the bogie has sorted that. Otherwise it would have detailed as soon as it encountered any pointwork.

Had similar with a couple of rebuilt Bulleids, but on the 2nd axle of the front bogie. As you say, a gentle stretch brings them back into position.

I suspect this may apply to many. I rejected the first Sir William I was shown as the cylinders seemed too angled on both sides.

Lots of studying the pictures in my Irwell book suggests the Coronations had the cylinders angled very slightly ....say 2 degrees. It all depends on the impact of light from the sky on a clean cylinder or a mucky one.

I have resigned myself to adjusting the cylinders on my Stanier FRS when I am sure how they should really be.

On another matter, despite being pleased overall, I do not like the slidebars. Too thin and I strongly suspect the same product used on Hornby's last edition. Also the crosshead piece of valve gear ( can someone offer the proper name !) also seems to be from the old model. The giveaway is that it should be fluted and like the old model it is not. Anyone got any ideas about sorting that ? Do Comet or Alan Gibson do etched valve gear for the Coronation ?

Comet etched valve gear LM 2 £12.50

Pete

Still running in my 'Duchess of Atholl' light engine. Tender derailed a couple of times and front bogie derailed on nearly every circuit running backwards. After running in is finished I will try running it with a rake of Palitoy and Bachmann coaches and a Hornby milk van as shown in the pictures. I will need to add to my rake of LMS Stanier coaches. They are getting expensive now in comparison to my Airfix Stanier brake that I bought from Hobbytime of West Wickham for £3.50 and treated it to a coat of gloss varnish.

post-17621-0-21375600-1509403949_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-08519100-1509404368_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-28485800-1509404436_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-02909200-1509404488_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-77962100-1509404532_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

... one of the traits was that the front wheels were not making full contact with the desk or railhead. A quick tweak of the metal cradle above the bogie has sorted that...

Have Hornby fitted a spring on the bogie pivot? Hornby's service diagrams often suggest a spring, but on most of their models with a bogie it's up to the owner to supply and fit something suitable. Simple and worthwhile in my opinion.

Hi Folks,

My consignment from Rails arrived yesterday, nice little compliments slip (a touch another firm I order significant amounts from could definitely learn from).

I'm very impressed by 46256, it looks stunning, and the colour (and its sheen) looks just right. I placed by loco Drive Duchess of Sutherland (from the Northern Belle set) alongside, and for the most part, about the footplate, it stands up to 46256 reasonably well, underneath the newer model is far superior, frame detail and shape much better. 

Running performance of both is good, though 46256 is slightly quieter (but both are what I would describe as quiet running anyway, so splitting hairs with that one)

But the biggest difference is definitely the livery, 46256 blows 6233 out of the water in that respect. 6233 is very pale, flat and much lighter than it ought to be, perhaps this has faded in my ownership, but it has never been stored in direct sunlight. 

Anyway, really impressed with 46256, Hornby and Rails for that matter too! well done folks!

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 4

Have Hornby fitted a spring on the bogie pivot? Hornby's service diagrams often suggest a spring, but on most of their models with a bogie it's up to the owner to supply and fit something suitable. Simple and worthwhile in my opinion.

There is a spring on the pivot screw which is free to laterally slide in the guide slot.

I remember reading somewhere that Stanier's class 5 mogul was his last design with horizontal cylinders.

Assuming this is true, the Coronation's should indeed be slightly inclined.

I was a bit late to the parade ordering 46256 but when I enquired of my usual dealer a few months back who said his allocation was already pre-sold I thought I'd better try and secure one and was still able to get an order with Rails. 

Got the despatch email yesterday, Parcelfarce, not my favourite carrier....was in all morning, came back this afternoon to find a note 'parcel round the back'. Now as the only way to do this is to drop the item over a wall for a 8 foot drop onto paving, this is not recommended. However, parcel had avoided an end on dent and thankfully it has arrived in one piece. I know that standard practice is for Hornby to design the packaging to survive what they deem a 'drop test' but this is the first time I have had it demonstrated.

Model is lovely BTW, so it's all worked out OK.

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 2

I was a bit late to the parade ordering 46256 but when I enquired of my usual dealer a few months back who said his allocation was already pre-sold I thought I'd better try and secure one and was still able to get an order with Rails. 

Got the despatch email yesterday, Parcelfarce, not my favourite carrier....was in all morning, came back this afternoon to find a note 'parcel round the back'. No as the only way to do this is to drop the item over a wall for a 8 foot drop onto paving, this is not recommended. However, parcel had avoided an end on dent and thankfully it has arrived in one piece. I know that standard practice is for Hornby to design the packaging to survive what they deem a 'drop test' but this is the first time I have had it demonstrated.

Model is lovely BTW, so it's all worked out OK.

My 'Duchess of Atholl' came by Parcelforce (Parcelfarce) from Rails as well. Not my favourite carrier but they left it with a neighbour. Rails sent my H class by Royal Mail which I prefer.

Rails quick off the mark with a new variant (sloping smokebox) Ltd Edition 1948 LMS black BR numbered 46229 Duchess of Hamilton. £190, 250 produced 'available mid November'. 

A semi! It looks very attractive but I’m just spent out.

Still, It hints at a main-range semi at some stage. :)