Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

Mine has a second option for closer coupling... it just arrived today, and I change the distance about 20 minutes ago!

You're correct - closer inspection shows that it has a figure 8 screw hole arrangement; but it'll need a third hole drilling for what I need.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Of course I can - and have done many times before.

I just wondered why I should have to in this day and age.

Now the (Bachmann?) system of an adjustable sliding pivot point is infinitely better, IMHO.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

To the man who made the best 4mm GT3 ever it's a walk in the park!

D.

Regarding the 'close' coupled option the gap is still quite big and the coupling bar fouls the Satans plug connection, will be fabricating a new one to get the gap smaller. Beautiful runner straight from box, has been chipped (sound one to follow) just wants running in then very light weathering!

• Like 2

Both models now arrived into stock and those who have ordered from us will be receiving phone calls shortly, if not already...we weren't expecting to have any left over but a few pre-order cancellations mean we have a few of each left in stock!

Here they are:

24093002518_2dbd6c58bd_b.jpg

Derails Models, on Flickr

24092999078_8af99e62e9_b.jpg

Derails Models, on Flickr

Well - I've had one of them - a "Stanier" - as an impulse purchase! Having been born and brought up 5 minutes from the East Coast Main Line in Darlington I feel slightly disloyal but I remember getting a "Day Line Diesel Ticket" and going over the Stainmore line to Carlisle and seeing these beautiful red locos change on the Royal Scot and just had to have one.

• Like 1

I am pleased that Rails have dispatched my 'Duchess of Atholl'  at the pre-order price as they have increased the pre-order price at the last minute on the two H class locomotives I have ordered.

The Duchess has got nothing to do with the Swanage Railway that I am modelling but I bought it for nostalgia reasons when I longed for a Hornby-Dublo Duchess sixty years ago.

I have got a second-hand Hornby-Dublo 'Duchess of Montrose' that dates back to the 1950s. I had it serviced a few years ago and the repairer left a note saying it was the most neglected and dirty Duchess that he had ever seen but it runs well after a good clean and a light oiling. It is still a good runner after sixty years.

I hope the 'Duchess of Atholl' fairs better than my 'Royal Mail'. After eight months it gave up the ghost last night making an electronic buzz and sounding like a tractor: a bit like the Tri-ang 'Winston Churchill.'

The Hornby R3555 'Sir William A. Stanier F.R.S' Princess Coronation Locomotive has arrived!

Watch our product video of the model below.

Unfortunately we are all sold out. We are currently working through the back orders and customer who did pre-order will be receiving your order shortly.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby R3555 'Sir William A. Stanier F.R.S' Princess Coronation Locomotive has arrived!

Watch our product video of the model below.

Unfortunately we are all sold out. We are currently working through the back orders and customer who did pre-order will be receiving your order shortly.

I can't remember ever being so relieved to get an email confirmation that my order is on the way! And thanks for honouring the pre order price :)

• Like 2

If you google a recent picture of 46233 you’ll find that they already have! :)

46233 was pulled off the SRPS Fife circular railtour a couple of years ago due to "gauging issues" (they didn't explicitly say "out of gauge").  That was the year before the fiasco which almost led to 60103 not being able to do its first run on the Borders Railway.  Whether the Duchess could have run after all if NR had been persuaded to pull its finger out, as they apparently were for "the most famous engine in the world", I have no idea.  Tornado was very nice'n'all but I'd have preferred a Stanier loco.

Hattons are showing "due into stock on or after Monday 30 October" - same as the H class.

Phone call from Kernow Models - mine is awaiting collection !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. Please excuse the froth - but I have been waiting for that call - albeit unknowingly - since I last saw the prototype back in the 1960s.

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

We should be getting these in on Monday or Tuesday (with the H class) but all our Staniers are already accounted for. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole @ Footplate

Hornby's previous attempts at a Duchess have never quite ' hit the spot ', but this does in spades !.

I thought the previous one was quite a decent model. Not up to the standard of this one, but I don't feel the increase in standard is big enough to force an upgrade from all of my previous generation ones.

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. I've just purchased Duchess of Atholl from Rails. Its superb, and runs so smoothly and quietly. Photos to follow. They said it is selling quickly along with the SECR H that they have in stock today.

Best regards,

Rob.

A question for my fellow retailers:

Has anyone else not received (or been allocated) the number of Coronations that Hornby have acknowledged advance orders on? (and I am talking orders made back as far as December 2016)

We received ours yesterday and got the full amount pre-ordered at the start of the year but have ordered a batch from AB GEE just in case there was another Peckett situation.

I have done the same with the Pecketts for next year as i think Hornby will look to sell out on pre-order by producing smaller runs.

Mine has a little problem, it puts my old Duchess to shame.

They still both look good together though!

It's stunning and I'm not sure which, out of it and the H class I brought home today, is my favourite!

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 2