Tinner's Forge

Just had a look through your thread Stu, great little layout and some nice modelling, I really like the barn and the way the layout looks using either blue diesels or earlier steam era stock. Well done :)

Steve.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve.

The scenics were deliberately left vague to allow a wide variety of eras to be used. I'd like a modern day short loco, a Class 66 is far too big, but not sure what would be appropriate for a West Country location.

This evening I have been making a lighting rig. I have a set of multicolour LEDs that were last used on Shepherds, so these will be re-used.  The phone camera seems to auto-adjust for different main hues, so the photos all look the same. In reality, the white is a little harsh and the yellow a little too yellow. Angling the strip helps and I have a second strip to add, so I'll sort that and keep experimenting.

20190712_203122.jpg.166134c6a1aa8c2f23d7a032d07b5abc.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The phone camera seems to auto-adjust for different main hues, so the photos all look the same. In reality, the white is a little harsh and the yellow a little too yellow. 

That is so annoying isn't it.  You work hard to get the colours right, and the phone has a better idea. Technology is good, overly helpful technology less so!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shame you couldn't get a 66 on there. I wonder if you could get away with a network rail 31, a DRS class 20 or a bubble car on route learning? I know they are not strictly modern and I guess the majority of modern wagons are too big. I like to build layouts that could be multi era as well. So far I've resisted temptation to buy stock that is later than 1990 ish though. 

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a 20 in blue, so a DRS version is a good idea. I also don't have any modern stock (edit: yet), but that's not a problem if the loco/era is defined.

Ta.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheers Marc.

I think what I like is I can use anything from blue TOPS stuff right back to GWR, and it all looks right.

It's a timeless layout, which is what I wanted.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Cheers Marc.

I think what I like is I can use anything from blue TOPS stuff right back to GWR, and it all looks right.

It's a timeless layout, which is what I wanted.

Very Nice Stu, I just love that quiet backwater feel and openness of TF.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

You too are the Master of this Rob.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:laugh:

You're too kind but I consider myself to be a very enthusiastic amateur..........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Un-Coupling 'staples' (now short lengths of soft iron bar) have been added to a few wagons today, both additions to the fleet and repairs to other where the staple had become unglued.

I'm now using contact adhesive, which is much better in the long term than superglue.

TF will be in GWR guise at Hayle, so panniers and prairies will be on parade.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've added the second lighting strip and the light levels are much better, without being overbright.

20190817_160913.jpg.adfc658b8f540ebba31b76e1d7ad7311.jpg20190817_160926.jpg.27303498f316e27d992c96bebdeafc8b.jpg

The shadow is caused by the garage light. I have a black sheet to cover the top when exhibiting.

• Like 13