The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
On 22/04/2020 at 20:34, SRman said:

The police had it on CCTV, but they still didn't even book the roo for crossing against the lights! :jester:

Well, they looked at the photo ID, but determined that all roos look the same! So decided not worth the bother.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

all roos look the same!

If only that were true!  

A good many Australians have probably never seen a wild Red Kanga.  They can stand over 2m tall.  Most commonly seen are Eastern Greys and various Wallabies all of which are rather to very much smaller.  And a different colour.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

If only that were true!  

A good many Australians have probably never seen a wild Red Kanga.  They can stand over 2m tall.  Most commonly seen are Eastern Greys and various Wallabies all of which are rather to very much smaller.  And a different colour.  

Some don’t speak Latin as well do they? :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2020 at 05:50, Gwiwer said:

If only that were true!  

I saw plenty of big reds mainly in WA and NT but since settling in the Fleurieu Peninsular (SA) I can vouch for the fact that Eastern Greys can reach 2 meter plus. We had one residing on our property a few years back, stayed for a couple weeks and presumably made its way back to the scrub. Also had a close encounter with one on our track, totally destroyed the front end of my ute four grands worth of damage and I was only travelling around 25 Kmh, the blOOdy thing came out of nowhere.

Mike

• Friendly/supportive 8

3 hours ago, ikks said:

I saw plenty of big reds mainly in WA and NT but since settling in the Fleurieu Peninsular (SA) I can vouch for the fact that Eastern Greys can reach 2 meter plus. We had one residing on our property a few years back, stayed for a couple weeks and presumably made its way back to the scrub. Also had a close encounter with one on our track, totally destroyed the front end of my ute four grands worth of damage and I was only travelling around 25 Kmh, the blOOdy thing came out of nowhere.

Mike

Sometimes  go for a jog to Euroka Clearing over lunch time, quite a mob of Eastern Greys there - tamish  because many tourists stop there on their way through the Blue Mountains and feed them. There are some large ones among them , one called Bruce is huge and  built like Arnie.

Had a quick google of Euroka Clearing and found this image, if thats not Bruce then its his twin brother.

Australia-Blue-Mountains-Glenbrook-Euroka-Eastern-Grey-Kangaroos-600x400.jpg.26dcce105a6dfa5a969af78ee30323ab.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7

On 07/03/2020 at 14:02, Barry O said:

I thought Ozzies were tough....arguing over soft toilet paper.. the Australian suitably cut into squares would work just as well and be more environmentally friendly 

Baz

Though I agree with your thoughts about The Australian being far more useful as bog rag/dunny paper, the sewerage authorities don’t really like it as it doesn’t break down as quickly as your normal two or three ply. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris hndrsn said:

Though I agree with your thoughts about The Australian being far more useful as bog rag/dunny paper, the sewerage authorities don’t really like it as it doesn’t break down as quickly as your normal two or three ply. 

Handy for trapping the spiders hiding under the lid? 

• Funny 3

On 04/05/2020 at 16:34, rockershovel said:

Handy for trapping the spiders hiding under the lid? 

It is the ones hiding under the seat that you have to worry about. Thankfully for those in North Queensland they usually have to move a green tree frog out of the bowl cooling off, after eating any nasty biters hiding there.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Nothing from Australia lately. But these guys must be handling the Coronavirus lockdown badly!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/bizarre-scenes-in-tiny-wa-town-as-sovereign-nation-attempts-to-overthrow-government-20200605-p54zxx.html

WA is different. We all know that...

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

WA is different. We all know that...

How is the Principality of Hutt River these days?

There was of course the 1933 Westralia secession referendum.

It reminds me of some people in the mountain west of the US. Oregon has it's own secessionist movements: State of Jefferson and currently "Greater Idaho" movement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It reminds me of some people in the mountain west of the US. Oregon has it's own secessionist movements: State of Jefferson and currently "Greater Idaho" movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

It seems to have just phased out. It was never really anything but a tourist shop, although doubtless tied government departments, notably the ATO, in red tape.

As far as I'm aware, he never smashed down the doors of historic buildings.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/06/2020 at 09:51, Ozexpatriate said:

Prince Leonard is dead.  Long live Prince Graeme!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-13/prince-leonard-who-founded-hutt-river-province-dies-aged-93/10808236

Suspect he got a whiff of what 2020 looked like, and decided to check out.

The Province closed it's borders a few months before Australia did:

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/hutt-river-principality-will-close-its-doors-until-further-notice-due-to-financial-hardship-20200110-p53qja.html

In the meantime, his Iron Fist approach to Covid-19 isolation has earned our State Premier Cult Hero™ status (89% approval rating!):

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/auslan-interpreter-wa-premier-mark-mcgowan-en-love-you-buddy/

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2020 at 20:46, kevinlms said:

Nothing from Australia lately. But these guys must be handling the Coronavirus lockdown badly!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/bizarre-scenes-in-tiny-wa-town-as-sovereign-nation-attempts-to-overthrow-government-20200605-p54zxx.html

Well, there's not much else to do in York at the best of times.

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...