The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

5 hours ago, SHMD said:

..and just how I remembered the 70s - smudged/washed-out TV programs on a small Black & White Telly!

Was that a Ford Falcon chasing?

Kev.

The ne"er do well was in a Falcon GT, the police pursuit was a  Chrysler Valiant, which here was the poor third cousin of Holden and Ford, due to it's reputation that  they were only bought by Italian and Greek 'new Australians". 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The ne"er do well was in a Falcon GT, the police pursuit was a  Chrysler Valiant, which here was the poor third cousin of Holden and Ford, due to it's reputation that  they were only bought by Italian and Greek 'new Australians". 

I must admit, I was only going off the flattened "speedo" display that I remembered my dad having.

Kev.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

But the worst by far must be Tweed Heads where the single town has the NSW / QLD border running right through the middle.

Not to mention the one hours time difference in summer when NSW goes to daylight savings while Queenslanders think its a communist plot if they were born before 1950 or  something thought  up by 'thebloodygreenies' to hurt 'the farmers'  if they were born after.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not to mention the one hours time difference in summer when NSW goes to daylight savings while Queenslanders think its a communist plot if they were born before 1950 or  something thought  up by 'thebloodygreenies' to hurt farmers if they were born after.

And where your mates across the street or even your neighbours could be in a different time zone and be legally drinking in the pub later than you.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Classsix T said:

No doubt the Red Tape in Australia also has massive teeth and hides in the bog too..?

C6T. 

But on the other hand  we do also have Quokkas!

images.jpg.b75250638d9a350658230e2b3583ecfd.jpg

(who will murder you in your sleep if you let them.)

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

They're called quotas in the Motherland, and whilst stopping short of murderous intent, will vexate you enormously.

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

47 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Quite the opposite, they are one of the few animals that won't kill you. They'd rather photobomb your holiday snaps.

Dunno about either of those, but they'll certainly bail you up, with menaces, round the back of the bakery if you've a bag of chips in your hand. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, PatB said:

Dunno about either of those, but they'll certainly bail you up, with menaces, round the back of the bakery if you've a bag of chips in your hand. 

Between the quokkas and the gulls, the chips don't stand a chance!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2020 at 21:05, hmrspaul said:

You are overlooking the Kookaburra and Rosellas :huh:

P1380249.JPG.9b89a39c88e5cf3a4862d1156ebdd14c.JPG

one of these flew down our chimney in the lounge, was covered in soot..what a mess, two hours plus to clean up.

Rgds........Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 17/09/2020 at 22:01, boxbrownie said:

Careful, most of you were Poms :lol:

As someone from Scottish and Irish stock that arrived in the 19th century, I feel free to mock the English, in a friendly familial way. Thankfully we are much more diverse now:D.  

I do note that whenever the WA Police step up for a media conference, it seems to be an officer with a strong English accent, often wearing UK Police medal ribbons!

Edited by Chris hndrsn
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Chris hndrsn said:

As someone from Scottish and Irish stock that arrived in the 19th century, I feel free to mock the English, in a friendly familial way. Thankfully we are much more diverse now:D.  

I do note that whenever the WA Police step up for a media conference, it seems to be an officer with a strong English accent, often wearing UK Police medal ribbons!

“A British person, especially one from England. (Originally applied to an immigrant from the British Isles.) The word pom has its origin in wordplay. An early, derisory term for an immigrant in Australia was the rhyming slang jimmygrant (sometimes written as Jimmy Grant), recorded in 1844”

Not so diverse as you originally were :lol:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/09/2020 at 07:39, Gwiwer said:

Australia, whilst politically a single nation ... behaves as though it were still a collection of separate ones.

Which per federation, it technically was and is.

It was (and is) my understanding that Tweed Heads is in NSW and Coolangatta is in QLD. They are separated only by the state border which runs though the urban area.

North Tweed heads is the NSW part of Point Danger (prosaically so named by a 18th century celebrity Yorkshireman along with Mount Warning.)

I'm surprised no one mentioned this story, or the recent spate of shark attacks in the area - Greenmount and Norrie's Head.

On 16/09/2020 at 22:39, SRman said:

Even the trees are dangerous!

Gympie-gympie is less of a tree than a very leafy shrubby bush and grows from close to the ground to inconveniently human height.

It is exceptionally nasty. The merest brush of the cilia (hairs) on the leaves results in welts and intense pain.  I can assert this from first-hand experience.

• Friendly/supportive 7