The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I think that I have finally lost ALL interest in ever going to Australia!! :yahoo_mini:

Don't worry, you wouldn't be allowed in anyway at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

There are some absolute tossers around. Ambos spotted a couple of people, buying up big at KFC, here in Melbourne. 

They spoke to the manager about the issue,  who then reported it with photo evidence of the vehicle. 

The police went to the registered address and found 16 people at a birthday party. 

They have been fined for breaching lockdown of $1652, each.

A birthday party to remember!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

There are some absolute tossers around. Ambos spotted a couple of people, buying up big at KFC, here in Melbourne. 

They spoke to the manager about the issue,  who then reported it with photo evidence of the vehicle. 

The police went to the registered address and found 16 people at a birthday party. 

Probably you are all wondering why the penalty is such an odd amount of $1652?

The answer is that in Victoria there is a penalty system in place, which is automatically indexed each year. Saves the government from arguing about the rise each year.

From the link below, you will see that one penalty unit is currently worth $165.20 and this particular fine is worth 10 penalty units, hence $1652.

Never, ever stand in the way of a government collecting revenue!

They are lucky this year (1 July to 30 June), as the state government stopped the indexation for this year only.

https://www.justice.vic.gov.au/justice-system/fines-and-penalties/penalties-and-values

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend in Melbourne had an all-whistles-and-bells 21st birthday party arranged for her daughter.  Fully-catered food (which out there often means a spit-roast, salads and pavlova among other goodies), drinks provided, marquee hired, band booked, suits and dresses hired, cars arranged .....

..... only to have the rug pulled from under them at next to no notice and facing a financial loss because things like food cannot simply be kept for another day.  

Daughter will be unable to see anyone other than her own family for a "big day" memorable now for all the wrong reasons.  And we think her boyfriend might have to wait a little longer before proffering another surprise.  Of the circular and sparkly variety ......... 

As they say in that part of the world "Bu99er".  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

11 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Ambos spotted a couple of people, buying up big at KFC, here in Melbourne. 

My cousin's husband is a police officer who is staffing a regional call centre. His call load has been greatly increased during the pandemic with Australians dobbing in their neighbours for breaking quarantine.

Some things are more important than others. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

G'day Folks

You want to hear what we are telling the Chinese about our deadly snakes/spiders/sharks/octopus/dingo's, seems to be working, they haven't invaded yet ..................

manna

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Fully-catered food (which out there often means a spit-roast, salads and pavlova among other goodies)

Lamingtons. Don't forget the lamingtons.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2020 at 16:38, kevinlms said:

There has also been a poker party rudely interrupted, where the 13 participants were also fined $1652 each. So apparently 13 was not a lucky number for them!

$21,476 to the government.

• Informative/Useful 2

Same day as the surfing above, the daily commute from Manly to the City was "interesting":

The Manly Ferry ‘Narrabeen’ punches through solid swell while crossing Sydney Heads on its run to Circular Quay - courtesy Dallas Kilponen via Twitter @dallaskilponen

Ec6bPaZVAAAue1q?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jukebox said:

Same day as the surfing above, the daily commute from Manly to the City was "interesting":

The Manly Ferry ‘Narrabeen’ punches through solid swell while crossing Sydney Heads on its run to Circular Quay - courtesy Dallas Kilponen via Twitter @dallaskilponen

Service suspended for about three days not long after that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, jukebox said:

Jeez! I thought it was a rinky-dink little craft, then I zoomed in. 

New pants please! 

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I love surfing.  I hate being an utterly failed surfer.  I just don't have the upper-body strength, lung capacity nor sea-swimming confidence.  Quite apart from the skill and nerve required to ride those waves just think for a moment what it takes to paddle out ....... 

I have been aboard the Manly ferry in "solid" conditions a couple of times.  Not quite as shown but certainly a lively ride.  The boats are designed for it - they have to cross the channel beam-on near the Manly side and collect anything and everything powering through the Heads off the ocean.  On crossings like the one shown passengers are locked below for their own safety.  Nearer to home in Cornwall the Scillonian III also encounters occasional rough passages between Penzance and St. Marys.  More than once I have seen her head out from Mounts Bay bow clear of the water, stern awash, reversing that as she crests and riding the waves at 30-degree angles up and down.  And again with passengers locked below.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, jukebox said:

I thought that was a hydrofoil until I took a second look. That's bad

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Nearer to home in Cornwall the Scillonian III also encounters occasional rough passages between Penzance and St. Marys.  More than once I have seen her head out from Mounts Bay bow clear of the water, stern awash, reversing that as she crests and riding the waves at 30-degree angles up and down.  And again with passengers locked below.  

Which is why down here it’s called the “Big White Stomach Pump” .......I’ll take the AW169 every time :D

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, jukebox said:

Glad it was smooth when I sailed on her.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JZ said:

Glad it was smooth when I sailed on her.

When I worked in the city in the nineties a few of us would spend lunchtimes travelling to Manly and back on days like the above -  at about 7 bucks return, it was way cheaper than Luna Park, pretty bloody cold but!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3