The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Total rainfall in last 4 days was 328mm, including 181mm on Sunday alone.. This with the 89mm we got in Jan means that we've already beaten last years entire railnfall of 371mm.

With TC Uesi predicted to affect the east coast over the next couple of days those drought loving plants we put in last year to cope with the dry are really getting confused..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Total rainfall in last 4 days was 328mm, including 181mm on Sunday alone.. This with the 89mm we got in Jan means that we've already beaten last years entire railnfall of 371mm.

With TC Uesi predicted to affect the east coast over the next couple of days those drought loving plants we put in last year to cope with the dry are really getting confused..

...and just a few weeks ago the BOM was telling us that there'd be no significant rainfall before April.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Sh!t. Though I thought this thread learned me that Huntsman's weren't venomous? And the reason a lot of Aus fauna is so deadly is to kill prey before it runs off?

But basically, sh!t is what I'm saying. C6T. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Sh!t. Though I thought this thread learned me that Huntsman's weren't venomous? And the reason a lot of Aus fauna is so deadly is to kill prey before it runs off?

All spiders are venomous to some degree.  Any venom that they may offer you is usually in such small quantities that it has little or no effect.  Many Australian spiders however are seriously venomous and a bite if left untreated can be lethal.  The Huntsman has drooling fangs which often startle people and its bite is venomous but seldom dangerous.

There are exceptions to all things.  Some individuals react differently.  If bitten - by any spider in any country - seek medical advice.  

In other news Australia is having something of a crisis as panic-buying sweeps the nation in anticipation of an epidemic of Corona Virus.  What is is short supply?  Beer?  Vegemite?  Bread or milk???  No.  Entire towns have had their complete supply of toilet rolls bought in mass panic!!!  Quite why remains a mystery as one thing Corona Virus does not do is produce symptoms requiring additional supplies of the soft tissue variety.  And a few situational entrepreneurs who have bought up big time are reportedly asking ridiculous prices for what is temporarily a very scarce commodity.  

Only in Australia ;)  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Just teaches you not to bring four legs to an eight leg fight.......:D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

All spiders are venomous to some degree.  Any venom that they may offer you is usually in such small quantities that it has little or no effect.  Many Australian spiders however are seriously venomous and a bite if left untreated can be lethal.  The Huntsman has drooling fangs which often startle people and its bite is venomous but seldom dangerous.

There are exceptions to all things.  Some individuals react differently.  If bitten - by any spider in any country - seek medical advice.  

Apologies, my incredulity clouded my poorly worded post. 

What I meant to ask was, the impression I've been given is that whilst a Huntsman, because of its size and propensity to find hidey holes, will put the willies up humans on a regular basis - but they're rarely fatal. OTOH Darwinism has dictated incredibly fast acting venom for much of Australia's wildlife to incapacitate fast moving prey like rodents, birds and other snakes. 

My point being, did that Huntsman kill that mouse? And if that's the case other deadlier species are just showing off, aren't they?

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

other deadlier species are just showing off, aren't they?

I wouldn't wish to argue that with the funnel-web in the underpants of society ;)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

What I meant to ask was, the impression I've been given is that whilst a Huntsman, because of its size and propensity to find hidey holes, will put the willies up humans on a regular basis - but they're rarely fatal. OTOH Darwinism has dictated incredibly fast acting venom for much of Australia's wildlife to incapacitate fast moving prey like rodents, birds and other snakes. 

My point being, did that Huntsman kill that mouse? And if that's the case other deadlier species are just showing off, aren't they?

C6T. 

You never know, maybe the Huntsman "mugged" a smaller but more venomous spider after it had killed the mouse.

What impressed me was how the damned thing could climb up the smooth side of the fridge with such a load in tow!

I once used an airline to flush out a Huntsman that was hiding under an electrical cabinet I was working in.

I was very determined I was going no where near the great angry monster thing that was rearing up and trying to attack the jet of air!

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

One downside of all the rain is that Funnel webs have been washed from their burrows and are looking for drier hidey holes.

I left my shoes on the front step a couple of days ago..

thumbnail.jpg.faa88e7644dd035912daaa72f35a5f5b.jpg

My local Woolies last night - who the #*&$*@#$  started the toilet paper scare?

IMG_20200304_180120.jpg.8d1cf713b2a4e281d0bfc284465ec78b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

51 minutes ago, SHMD said:

What impressed me was how the damned thing could climb up the smooth side of the fridge with such a load in tow!

Kev.

They have amazing grippy skills. I was in my shed a while back and a pretty large one ran out from the back of a piece of wood I'd picked up off the floor and across my forearm.  My reflex was to flick my arm and the spider sailed across the shed and landed on the tin wall and stuck straight way, like he had suction cup feet - didn't bounce or slide down at all or anything - pretty amazing.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

It

1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

One downside of all the rain is that Funnel webs have been washed from their burrows and are looking for drier hidey holes.

It wasn't a thing, but I'm hearing the toilet paper thing is starting in the UK. I dunno why. 

The UK working class will be OK though, cos we just pinch it from work anyway. (an oft told joke is how little Jenny's dad works at a light bulb and toilet paper factory, because that's all he brings home).

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Classsix T said:

C6T. 

Whats especially unnerved me about the Funnel Web is that other than insects, its toxin is only harmful to primates. Since there aren't any primates here apart from Barnaby Joyce that means that the only thing it is able to kill here  is humans... It can't eat us so why would it even  need to do that other than its an ar5ehole?

Extra unnerving points on a local basis for me is that of the 35 or so versions  of the Funnel Web that are running around here, the Sydney Funnel web that hangs out in a 100km radius of my home including in my shoes apparently is the most venomous version of the worlds most venomous spider..

https://www.sciencealert.com/australian-funnel-web-spider-toxic-giant-reptile-park-venom-program

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

And that is where the urban myth of checking the toilet seat arose.  Probably. 

Funnel-webs do not live under toilet seats. Neither do redbacks. Not in cities anyway. 

But in country towns and bush houses a swift inspection of the under-seat doesn’t go amiss. There is more than the occasional politician out there who may bite you on the a***. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

I had a disaster yesterday.

Took the dog out for a late walk and in the dark he decided to roll in fresh horse poo! So we had to wash him in the bath late at night.

That went fine, but a casualty was that 2 rolls of toilet paper got severely splashed on. They were the double length rolls too. I always buy them to reduce the number of times I have to change rolls.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I can't help thinking that Mad Max 2 would have been a very different movie if it had depicted a plucky group of survivors defending the world's last Kimberley-Clarke dunny roll factory, and the final scene in the film had been, perhaps, a semi, loaded with portaloos, rolling over in the outback. 

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Whats especially unnerved me about the Funnel Web is that other than insects, its toxin is only harmful to primates. Since there aren't any primates here apart from Barnaby Joyce that means that the only thing it is able to kill here  is humans... It can't eat us so why would it even  need to do that other than its an ar5ehole?

Extra unnerving points on a local basis for me is that of the 35 or so versions  of the Funnel Web that are running around here, the Sydney Funnel web that hangs out in a 100km radius of my home including in my shoes apparently is the most venomous version of the worlds most venomous spider..

https://www.sciencealert.com/australian-funnel-web-spider-toxic-giant-reptile-park-venom-program

Well, the wasps here are all a bit soft, so there was a vacant niche for a homicidal invertebrate. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1