The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2020 at 11:47, DavidB-AU said:

toilet.jpg.df2ff5a2a75fc9eea555d4370e1ba4c5.jpg

An email from a major supermarket chain, Coles.

So the above photo is NOT fake!

As you may have seen, the past few days have been challenging for some customers with shortages of selected items, in particular toilet rolls! For which I apologise.

This is due to increased purchases of everyday items by some customers brought about, in part, by an international media & social media frenzy – which then causes other customers to lose confidence in the system and then buy more themselves. Australia has an outstanding supply chain and most of our products are sourced from Australia including toilet paper.

We're working to re-stock shelves every day to meet demand, and we have agreements in place to increase production of everyday items in Australia if the need arises. We have increased the number of team members in our stores and our suppliers are doing the same.

However, in the short term, we have reluctantly chosen to introduce a temporary 4 pack limit on toilet paper to ensure the elderly and those groups at highest risk can still access the everyday products they need, and to reduce likelihood of bulk purchasing which then appear on the internet at a price premium.

I understand the average 4 person family needs around 20 rolls of toilet paper per fortnight, and larger packs contain around 30 rolls meaning 4 packs would total 120 rolls - enough for around 12 weeks.

We appreciate the understanding and patience of our customers who miss out, and our hardworking suppliers and team members who are doing their best to ensure we are helping all customers.

We appreciate your business and I know that security of grocery supply is a key concern for all Australians. Through the bushfires I also know that Australia is at its best when we all come together to help each other.

Regards & thanks, 

• Like 2

Sydney 2020...

Just like Moscow, 1960 - see a queue and just join it!

IMG_20200307_085945.jpg.9bb5b2bf98f6fd3d94f8fc4e844815af.jpg

This was my local Coles earlier, word had got out that a pallet of toilet paper had just arrived. BY the time the paper was wheeled out there were about 40 people waiting.

And the pallet  wasn't a pallet of toilet paper but a pallet of general stuff  with just a couple of dozen 4-packs of toilet paper included -  "Thats it til Monday" said the pimply youth who wheeled the tiny load into the aisle.

Tell you what though, the feeling of accomplishment as I took my allowed single 4 pack of kleenex to the checkout  after 4 days of fruitless searching -  I know now how those cave blokes felt when they brought a Mammoth home for the family.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought Ozzies were tough....arguing over soft toilet paper.. the Australian suitably cut into squares would work just as well and be more environmentally friendly 

Baz

• Funny 2

32 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I thought Ozzies were tough....arguing over soft toilet paper.. the Australian suitably cut into squares would work just as well and be more environmentally friendly 

Baz

The NT News paper printed a few blank pages as a gag. ;)

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/nt-news-toilet-paper-coronavirus-2020-3

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Agree, wouldn't even want to read it first.........unless you enjoy Wupert's stuff.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another punch up over toilet paper in Sydney today. I wouldn't have picked Australia to be the first place this happened. I'd have thought the USA would be first. But t urning nobody in Australia has been shot yet...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Saw a similar one at a car yard today. Free roll with every car sold.

"Toilet rolls $15,000.  Free car with every purchase" ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It pains me to say it but I see more similarities than differences in the behaviour of Aussies and Yanks these days.

Especially that lot in Canberra!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/03/2020 at 02:40, boxbrownie said:

Dunno, I‘d definitely have go at Kylie :wub:

Kylie Ann Minogue, AO, OBE, often known simply as Kylie, is an Australian singer, songwriter and actress

Born: 28 May 1968 (age 51 years), Melbourne

Like old mutton do you?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Kylie Ann Minogue, AO, OBE, often known simply as Kylie, is an Australian singer, songwriter and actress

Like old mutton do you?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

She's younger than Me... and probably most of us here..

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45568 said:

Like old mutton do you?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

She ain’t Mutton to me ;)

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45568 said:

Like old mutton do you?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

How old is that in budgie years?

• Funny 6