SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

I ordered mine this morning. First engine since I’ve bought since the Beattie well tank my partner and Mum has described as cute. Gonna go get some track today to start my fictional Romney marsh layout for her to shunt on.

Big james

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Oi ! - those two are mine ......... supposedly packed yesterday but Royal Mail don't recognise the tracking number ! - no wonder, Hattons have sent them to you instead !

Don't worry you're not the only one.....mine were picked/packed at 15:28 on Monday, expected by Royal Mail at 18:03pm on Monday, still not received by Royal Mail last night but just tracked and reported as arrived at Warrington Mail Centre at 11:34 this morning.

Pity that Hattons are not as efficient at getting items to Royal Mail as they are taking the cash from your account....

Keith

Don't worry you're not the only one.....mine were picked/packed at 15:28 on Monday, expected by Royal Mail at 18:03pm on Monday, still not received by Royal Mail last night but just tracked and reported as arrived at Warrington Mail Centre at 11:34 this morning.

Pity that Hattons are not as efficient at getting items to Royal Mail as they are taking the cash from your account....

Keith

I wouldn’t blame Hatton’s for being slow to get these out; I’m sure there are a lot of orders to get through. On the other hand, I am used to Hatton’s 120-hour standard delivery. First day: money taken and with luck instruction sent to the warehouse. Second day: packed. Royal Mail, “Never heard of it.” Third day: Royal Mail admits to having it. Fifth day: delivery.

Admittedly, Hatton’s and Royal Mail keep me informed but is that a good thing? When it’s something like these little gems, it’s difficult not to check progress every hour!

Contrast this with Invicta, my usual supplier. If I phone at a reasonable time, even early afternoon, or Invicta phones me about a pre-order, the next morning the object of desire is handed over to me with a friendly grunt. I like Royal Mail. Other suppliers are as efficient.

The only exception is a large parcel, which has to come by Parcel Force 48 hour. Sometimes 48 hour, sometimes 72.

Then there are weekends and holidays.

Keith

Mine were picked/packed about 24 hours after yours but Royal Mail's tracking thingy just says "Barcode reference ....... is not valid" !

• RMweb Gold

There is plenty of video evidence on youtube of Bluebell dealing with 3 mk1s and a vent van on the Battlefield line in 2014. I assume that the gradients must have been gentle!

The Model seems to be quite happy with three “birdcage” coaches on in the demo video. Actually ISTR it running with four suburban on an earlier clip.

There is anecdotal evidence that when 31027 was sold to the impecunious Vale of Radnor Light Railway in 1951, that it had great difficulty with the military traffic from the Army depot at Llanddewi. It was said that it couldn't manage more than a couple of flat wagons, each with an armoured car on, up the steep bank near Brynllefrith. In the end, such trains were either double-headed with the line's J72 or operated using one of the Army's own locos. The 'P' was then left to manage the lighter weight local goods services, which it apparently managed satisfactorily.

Ditto all the complements the P class has received so far.

Mine ( 31323 ) arrived at my home in East Sussex this morning, by Royal Mail.

Looking at the quality of build and detail, I would hope it's a contender for model of the year.

Rails forthcoming Terrier has to be at least as good, a hard act to follow.

• Like 1

Mine were picked/packed about 24 hours after yours but Royal Mail's tracking thingy just says "Barcode reference ....... is not valid" !

In Hattons defence, the parcel may well have been picked, packed and the electronically generated post sticker affixed before the dispatch email was sent.  Its just waiting for the courier (RM, Yodel, whoever) to turn up and collect the heap stack of boxes thats the bottleneck.  The tracking software only starts returning meaningful data once RM, Yodel, whoever, scans the barcode on the sticker to enter it into their system.

You can't blame Hattons for a delay there!

There is anecdotal evidence that when 31027 was sold to the impecunious Vale of Radnor Light Railway in 1951, that it had great difficulty with the military traffic from the Army depot at Llanddewi. It was said that it couldn't manage more than a couple of flat wagons, each with an armoured car on, up the steep bank near Brynllefrith. In the end, such trains were either double-headed with the line's J72 or operated using one of the Army's own locos. The 'P' was then left to manage the lighter weight local goods services, which it apparently managed satisfactorily.

In fairness, they were designed to act as the motor for a pair of push-pull coaches (small old converted bogie coaches) and be economical. Big cylinders means more power but equally will consume steam faster.

• Like 1

Mine were picked/packed about 24 hours after yours but Royal Mail's tracking thingy just says "Barcode reference ....... is not valid[/size]" !

I had a similar reaction when inputting the code to the Royal Mail websiteand and since there was also a reference of mailing to Western Europe in Hattons email rather than North America I dropped a line to Hattons expressing my concern. I had a prompt reply that indicated that the number given was NOT a tracking number but a reference number as the parcels are not tracked unless requested. The item has been sent small packet air mail and all being well should be on my side of the pond early next week allowing for the usual disruptions that Easter brings to the mails. My advice is to drop a polite line to Hattons if you have concerns and the matter will be flagged should things go pear shaped.

Cheers,

David

In Hattons defence, the parcel may well have been picked, packed and the electronically generated post sticker affixed before the dispatch email was sent.  Its just waiting for the courier (RM, Yodel, whoever) to turn up and collect the heap stack of boxes thats the bottleneck.  The tracking software only starts returning meaningful data once RM, Yodel, whoever, scans the barcode on the sticker to enter it into their system.

You can't blame Hattons for a delay there!

Hattons are mystified by the Royal Mail's inability to recognise the number - but confirm the the locos are chuffing their way south with expected arrival tomorrow ........................................ I just hope they turn up in the office before I knock off early for the long weekend !

Worth throwing out there - if anyone doesn't plan to use the coupling hooks provided, (or the entire detail bag) PM me and i'd be happy to make an offer to take them off your hands!

Hattons meets Wills.

Mine arrived today, a fine model it is..Weighs in at 119g so haulage capacity is good enough, six Hornby Mk1s with ease all I had to hand. Smooth and quiet out of the box a little bit stiff at first will need a bit more running in but on par with the smooth Hornby mechanisms, none of the Lima bag of nails sound of some other recent releases. Well done Hattons.

Hattons_Wills.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

325 has arrived safely and I can only echo the other positive reviews. It looks beautiful in the SR livery, runs very well. I even video'd it in slow mo to see if there was any lumpiness disguised at speed and it's so smooth!

I'm glad I have the two SECR ones on order, this is a very strong first model.

Please do an O Gauge one :)

• RMweb Gold

Mines here

Quite definitely the nicest blue steam engine ever made.post-20773-0-77061000-1522248575_thumb.jpeg

Quite definitely according to the dials, the loco is not in steam judging by the gauge positions.post-20773-0-12724500-1522248564_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-59755600-1522248592_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8

Postie turned up with Bluebell which has had its compulsory running in around a Kato oval. That whistle looks pretty much like metal - Hornby please take a note. Add on pack has an extra route indicator disc in it. Something not right however, its blue and pretty and yet Hattons still have "more than 10 in stock"!

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

In fairness, they were designed to act as the motor for a pair of push-pull coaches (small old converted bogie coaches) and be economical. Big cylinders means more power but equally will consume steam faster.

I think it must have been sold for a very good price, for the light railway to have been tempted. Still, it makes for an interesting sight in Mid-Wales.

Something not right however, its blue and pretty and yet Hattons sell have "more than 10 in stock"!

Maybe, but unless you model the Bluebell not very useful. My Southern Black and Early BR expected tomorrow.

Maybe, but unless you model the Bluebell not very useful. My Southern Black and Early BR expected tomorrow.

Some people don't worry about stuff like that. If they like it in blue, they'll buy it. I don't have a flour mill but I've just bought the Pride of Sussex one. I recall seeing the real thing back in the 1960s. Hope my good friend Keith Jaggers doesn't mind me using his photo. I'd seem to recall that I had run out of film. 

post-1062-0-04163400-1522252012_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

All this talk of Ps arriving and posting drooling photos is so frustrating. I'm away from home in a wet Lincolnshire coast and P-less. I did arrange with Hattons to process my order, but delay despatch until after Easter when I'm home, so looking forward to my 2 BR versions next week. Keep the photos coming to ease my lack of P.

• RMweb Premium

Actually given Bluebell has visited the Severn Valley, Battlefield, Chernut Valley and Spa Valley Railways in recent years there is plenty of potential for it being 'hired in'

Similarly number 178 has visited other railways and is currently on loan to the NRM (a hire helped by the condition of the cylinders which make it pretty useless on its home line).

Granted it is restricted to the preservation era, but as as I have pointed out many times in the past creating a good preserved model railway requires every bit as much attention to detail as a say a 1950s cross country route set in the Midlands or whatever - and all the sneering that goes on by some when the concept of modelling a preserved railway is undeserved.

Edited by phil-b259

My P's arrived earlier today and luckily an early finish at work has left me with extra time to give them a run and check them over, out of the box they both run very well and after running in negotiate my insulfrogs without any hesitation. The detail is so impressive on them especially all the little makers plates and relevant insignia, I did have to reattach a little piece on the SECR Grey P which was just roaming around in the box but it just popped back in which was a plus. When I fully work out how to add pictures I will upload some for you to feed your appetite until the postman arrives.

• Like 1

Actually given Bluebell has visited the Severn Valley, Battlefield, Chernut Valley and Spa Valley Railways in recent years there is plenty of potential for it being 'hired in'

Having seen 323 in September at the SVR 2017 Autumn Gala, I have to say that I thought it was the star piece at the event.

What stunned me most was when I first saw her on the Wednesday before the Preview Day on the Thursday as I didn't think she'd so small at first but once she was coupled next to SVR resident GWR 813, you could see how small she was when compared to 813. Also surprised me for such a small loco, 323 certainly packed a punch and a bark...!!

36974670110_99cd448af8_b.jpg

37220595432_68e7517082_b.jpg

37202697426_830c3c3ee7_b.jpg

37240490882_6ef1debf5a_b.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 18