Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I think the title above the windows did vary over time.

I think a run of these vehicles would be oddly popular given their limited geographical exposure. I like the idea of winding up the more obsessive modellers by replicating that legendary but virtually unknown luxury weekend sleeper excursion from Paris to Barmouth which passed through Dolgellau in the early 1960s. We know it happened because one of the locals claims to have seen it as he walked home from a night out in the Royal Ship hotel bar.

Not so much walked as wafted, I suspect......... :stinker:

• RMweb Premium

I think the title above the windows did vary over time.

I think a run of these vehicles would be oddly popular given their limited geographical exposure. I like the idea of winding up the more obsessive modellers by replicating that legendary but virtually unknown luxury weekend sleeper excursion from Paris to Barmouth which passed through Dolgellau in the early 1960s. We know it happened because one of the locals claims to have seen it as he walked home from a night out in the Royal Ship hotel bar.

I wonder if a relative of his from East Devon, having consumed considerable amounts of best Devon Cider, saw the almost as legendary August 1961, Calais Maritime to Exmouth Rolle College (Student Teacher/University Naturists' Train), via Tonbridge, Redhill, Reading, Basingstoke & Seaton Junction of course?

A Nelson worked it down from Basingstoke and back on the 'arrival' day and a Modified Pacific (34050) worked it both ways the following week for the return for Paris rather than Calais. Only time the Ferry stock had worked anywhere down west. The well publicised success of the Barmouth excursion had obviously given the 'Management' at Victoria and Waterloo ideas on revenue earning work for the stock. 

I.N.Teresting

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if a relative of his from East Devon, having consumed considerable amounts of best Devon Cider, saw the almost as legendary August 1961, Calais Maritime to Exmouth Rolle College (Student Teacher/University Naturists' Train), via Tonbridge, Redhill, Reading, Basingstoke & Seaton Junction of course?

A Nelson worked it down from Basingstoke and back on the 'arrival' day and a Modified Pacific (34050) worked it both ways the following week for the return for Paris rather than Calais. Only time the Ferry stock had worked anywhere down west. The well publicised success of the Barmouth excursion had obviously given the 'Management' at Victoria and Waterloo ideas on revenue earning work for the stock. 

I.N.Teresting

Truth is of course stranger than fiction as in more recent times if it had actually ever commenced operation the Plymouth - Paris sleeping car train would have been diverted via Seaton Junction (if it had still been open) on those occasions when engineering work happened to block the real mainline route although it would in any case have run over the easterly part of the LSWR route into Waterloo every night.

• RMweb Gold

I think the title above the windows did vary over time.I think a run of these vehicles would be oddly popular given their limited geographical exposure. I like the idea of winding up the more obsessive modellers by replicating that legendary but virtually unknown luxury weekend sleeper excursion from Paris to Barmouth which passed through Dolgellau in the early 1960s. We know it happened because one of the locals claims to have seen it as he walked home from a night out in the Royal Ship hotel bar.

Calais Coast Express ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Truth is of course stranger than fiction as in more recent times if it had actually ever commenced operation the Plymouth - Paris sleeping car train would have been diverted via Seaton Junction (if it had still been open) on those occasions when engineering work happened to block the real mainline route although it would in any case have run over the easterly part of the LSWR route into Waterloo every night.

It stopped every night at Westbury. On the engineering jobs, it worked up as far as Newbury, then reversed over Enborne Junction. Thence Woodhay-Eastleigh, where it picked up the coast route to Newhaven. Crew changes at Brighton. I saw the 5-BEL there many times as a 'nipper'.

Sam L'spade

• RMweb Premium

It stopped every night at Westbury. On the engineering jobs, it worked up as far as Newbury, then reversed over Enborne Junction. Thence Woodhay-Eastleigh, where it picked up the coast route to Newhaven. Crew changes at Brighton. I saw the 5-BEL there many times as a 'nipper'.

Sam L'spade

I think Mike has in mind the service that was proposed in the early days of the Channel Tunnel.

Speaking of which, if Watkin's Channel Tunnel had been built, by the twenties one would have seen Wagon Lits cars at Manchester Central, for Paris all year round and no doubt Nice etc. in the season. The dimensions of these cars would have been limited by the Metroplitan's loading gauge.

Yes, it's the same length but would require a complete new set of tools. Makes a lovely model though and I've seen a photo of one post - Night Ferry use - as a regular parcels van in Scotland. May even have been Rail blue but so dirty it was impossible to tell. No doubt Night Ferry lettering would have been painted out at least. (CJL)

I personally saw the Night Ferry Fourgon at Edinburgh Waverley in platform 2.It was sporting a large plank to support a broken spring and I commented about it to a B R manager who was getting off the North Berwick train with me that morning.Colourwise it may have been blue as this was about 1973/4

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brunel did, indeed, have a plan to take the atmospheric railway, all the way to Paris. Upon reaching Dover, the apparatus was expanded to full bore, and pulled through from the French side. At Calais, the apparatus reverted to the original mode of transport.

The local engineers called it 'Le Suck'.

Original tests proved promising: far in advance of anything seen thus far. However, it was not to be. Confusion ranged supreme at the middle of the tunnel, as it went from Right hand drive, to Left hand. This effectively destroyed the vacuum, rendering the system inoperable.

• RMweb Premium

Brunel did, indeed, have a plan to take the atmospheric railway, all the way to Paris. Upon reaching Dover, the apparatus was expanded to full bore, and pulled through from the French side. At Calais, the apparatus reverted to the original mode of transport.

Original tests proved promising: far in advance of anything seen thus far. However, it was not to be. Confusion ranged supreme at the middle of the tunnel, as it went from Right hand drive, to Left hand. This effectively destroyed the vacuum, rendering the system inoperable.

How come then that the SR Golden Arrow was so successful when it relied simply on some very strong animal gut in a wooden frame for propulsion during tests? Was it because the momentum (physics not contemporary movement) enabled the train to be able to change sides easily or did they use the over/under closed loop system? I know they ended up using a Ferry but that was only because of protests about animal gut being used and the possibility of a heavily loaded, propulsed train coming to a stop before reaching Calais. 

It is also interesting that descendants of the staff who were to provide Le Sucke (apologies for pedant 'e') still display the typical French 'shoulder shrug' caused by a sharp and deep intake of breath.

Iam Normalreally

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely story Tom- except that the Nord Railway in France was largely designed by British engineers and they drove and drive on the left.

• RMweb Premium

Same here in Belgium, the trains drive on the left side. 

I remember the old fly-over system in the woods between Eupen and Aachen HaubtBahnhof going into Germany. 

Mostly trips with my father to his favourite modeltrainshop, buying LGB-stuf.  :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Lovely story Tom- except that the Nord Railway in France was largely designed by British engineers and they drove and drive on the left.

Indeed so however one of the more barmy proposals for the Channel Tunnel in the competition which the current tunnel won really did include the trains changing from left hand to right hand running halfway through the tunnel - it caused considerable mirth on the part of those looking at the various proposals.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed so however one of the more barmy proposals for the Channel Tunnel in the competition which the current tunnel won really did include the trains changing from left hand to right hand running halfway through the tunnel - it caused considerable mirth on the part of those looking at the various proposals.

I liked the one with a three lane motorway in each direction and inset track in the third lanes, with a vehicle with flashing lights and a siren clearing the third lane for an hourly passenger train service to go through.

(That's how I remember it, anyway....)

• RMweb Premium

How come then that the SR Golden Arrow was so successful when it relied simply on some very strong animal gut in a wooden frame for propulsion during tests? Was it because the momentum (physics not contemporary movement) enabled the train to be able to change sides easily or did they use the over/under closed loop system? I know they ended up using a Ferry but that was only because of protests about animal gut being used and the possibility of a heavily loaded, propulsed train coming to a stop before reaching Calais. 

It is also interesting that descendants of the staff who were to provide Le Sucke (apologies for pedant 'e') still display the typical French 'shoulder shrug' caused by a sharp and deep intake of breath.

Iam Normalreally

Bl00dy French!

I liked the one with a three lane motorway in each direction and inset track in the third lanes, with a vehicle with flashing lights and a siren clearing the third lane for an hourly passenger train service to go through.

(That's how I remember it, anyway....)

Bit like the Whittier (Alaska) road /rail tunnelalso known as the Anton Anderson Memorial tunnel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage_Glacier_Highway

Well they did not have internet to verify facts back then.... Ooops, what am I saying? Using internet to verify facts? Not possible! Need some Air smoothing... Must go and lie down....

I knew something rang a bell : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop

WOW.... talk about topic drift, this hasn't exactly drifted, it's apparently run off the rails, created a new network and jumped on to something so far removed from the OT that I'm even confused enough to not even recognize what New Topic it's become!

:jester:  :O  :jester:

WOW.... talk about topic drift, this hasn't exactly drifted, it's apparently run off the rails, created a new network and jumped on to something so far removed from the OT that I'm even confused enough to not even recognize what New Topic it's become!

:jester:  :O  :jester:

I don't really want to give Nick Park a plug - but if Early Man had never gone off topic he'd still be up there in the trees ............

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just woke up to a surprise.

I popped by Hornbys website, to find on the cover, new in stock: Duchess of Atholl, Sir William Stanier and SECR H class...post-20773-0-37900600-1517415660_thumb.png

Is it a new batch, have I gone back in time ?

No it was a mistake.. i’m In the US, this week, it seems supplies must just arrived over here.... maybe worth looking at US shops for those wanting these ?

Edited by adb968008