The Woodhead Route

Ramrig

There were two schemes that used AC at 6000 volts or thereabouts.

a) The Midland's Lancaster Morecambe, Heysham, scheme that was a prototype for doing Derby Manchester. This was at 6,600 volts 25 Hz, and the OHLE equipment was used, with a few modifiactions, as a test bed for the WCML scheme. They changed the supply equipment to 6,250v 50Hz and also put in som expermimental OHLE near Scale Hall to test various types, as wel as putting 'new' stock on the line converted from ex LNWR Oerlikon DC stock. This was done in th early 50's and lasted until 1965.

B) The LBSC suburban system which was also at 6,500v 25Hz. This worked into the 1920's before the Southern Railway electrical engineeers decided to standardise on 750D 3rd rail. This was a short sighted decision as the LBSC scheme was designed from the bginning as a potential mainline system and was meant to go through to Brighton.

bck to the thread The pictures are great. I will ahve to dig out the shots that I took in the arly 70's when i was a student at Huddersfield. I'll try and sscan them and port them.

Jamie

My only journey over the Hadfield-Penistone section was on the LCGB's 'Easter Tommy' special (April 1981), which turned out to be the last passenger train to run over the line. Sorry for the poor quality of the photograph, which was taken at Penistone.

post-8590-128251506017_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A fine and pleasant morning in Longdendale today; a shame it wasn't 1980 rather than 2010 though.

Some panorama shots as the landscape is now. (click for fullscreen)

Torside

Torside_Panorama_med.jpg

Crowden

Crowden_Panorama_med.jpg

Woodhead (from the garden of the cottages that used to be above the tunnel)

Woodhead_Panorama_med.jpg

My only journey over the Hadfield-Penistone section was on the LCGB's 'Easter Tommy' special (April 1981), which turned out to be the last passenger train to run over the line. Sorry for the poor quality of the photograph, which was taken at Penistone.

Bob

Are you amongst these photters at Guide Bridge at the changeover from diesel to electric (there must have been a fair few pic with me on them.

25057,25083 GB 21 04 81

post-1161-051774400 1287330897_thumb.jpg

76025 GB 21 04 81

post-1161-054693000 1287330924_thumb.jpg

Was going to speculate on why they had the barriers barring access to the old eastbound platform but then noticed the recent ducting and remembered that the new tunnel had a new use.

Crowden is also known as Devil's Hill in my household, my youngest was cycling down the hill towards Hadfield and came off his bike face first into the gravel, ended up with a mouthful of gravel (luckily no damage), I think that was the same day a bit further along he also got covered in dogs mess after one had been hidden in grass and his bike wheel splattered him down the front :(

There's a new OPC book out on Woodhead, will be picking one up for Christmas.

Good to see the reservoirs are full again, last visit I made one was empty.

Was going to speculate on why they had the barriers barring access to the old eastbound platform but then noticed the recent ducting and remembered that the new tunnel had a new use.

Yes; I was hoping no-one would be around today so I could have a closer nose around. Unlucky. ;)

This shot shows the progress of the trunking toward the 'new' tunnel a little better.

Woodhead.jpg

Bob

Are you amongst these photters at Guide Bridge at the changeover from diesel to electric (there must have been a fair few pic with me on them.

25057,25083 GB 21 04 81

post-1161-051774400 1287330897_thumb.jpg

76025 GB 21 04 81

post-1161-054693000 1287330924_thumb.jpg

Nostalgic photos Derek. I cannot see myself there, but recall I took some shots (of the pair of 25s) from a similar vantage point to you - and was on the train by the time the 76 was backing on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

A relatively big ask from a newcomer (to the site, not modelling).

Has anyone got any shots of Hadfield station after electrification but before the line closure? Maybe even the transition steam/electric period.

The reason is that I live about 500 yards away form there and I've got this idea about making a 2mm FS model of it... working or otherwise. I'd be especially interested if anyone has trackplans for between Platt Street and Park Road.

Wonderful pics so far btw.

theres a web site that has the track plan its called lynmobservatory (johns web pages)it has most of the woodhead route track plans.

• 2 months later...

The green Southern coach in the previous post, just behind the loco, was this the only green coach on Woodhead?

The Bournemouth Electrification went live in 1967, perhaps the coach was a cast off, ex Poole -Manchester rake?

First travelled on the Woodhead line in September 1967 behind E27006 in Electric Blue, my friend had made the run a couple of weeks earlier, rode in a Green coach

• RMweb Premium

for fatneck, there's a 1:2500 OS map dated 1968-71 at old-maps.co.uk

shows the coal hoppers and the various sidings north of the station

try co-ordinates 402476 and 396078, the map covers most of the station area, just zoom in to decipher the track

there are earlier maps, but are mostly 1:10560, so not so much detail

can't help with pics, sorry

The green Southern coach in the previous post, just behind the loco, was this the only green coach on Woodhead?

The Bournemouth Electrification went live in 1967, perhaps the coach was a cast off, ex Poole -Manchester rake?

First travelled on the Woodhead line in September 1967 behind E27006 in Electric Blue, my friend had made the run a couple of weeks earlier, rode in a Green coach

This has been discussed fairly recently - not sure of it was in this thread or a similar one.

Pretty sure the upshot was that there was more than one green coach around.

• RMweb Gold

This has been discussed fairly recently - not sure of it was in this thread or a similar one.

Pretty sure the upshot was that there was more than one green coach around.

There has been quite a bit lately about swaps of Bulleids in exchange for Mk1 stock from other regions to use for conversion to Bournemouth EMU stock, in the BRCoachingStock Yahoo group .

The green Southern coach in the previous post, just behind the loco, was this the only green coach on Woodhead?.......

This is what you're looking for

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/25534-woodhead-passenger-train-help-with-identifying-coaches/page__p__258435__hl__%2Bgreen+%2Bwoodhead__fromsearch__1#entry258435

Guest TomTank

Fascinating thread with some stunning pictures, great thread to discover :)

I will admit I only have recently have begun looking into Woodhead Route, but it has been a route I have known about vaguely, being born in 1985, am I right in thinking the line had already closed?

Once i get my car later in the year I fancy having a drive up there :)

Quick question I do have. I have seen a photo of an A3 in BR Express Blue (one of the ones assigned to the GCR I'm sure) she is hauling a Manchester Sheffield Express I believe, my question is, the A3 is seen running underneath the wires, would this have been when the electrification had been completed, or while under construction? I had noticed very little photos of steam after electrification so does this mean steam was banned under the wires?

Anyhow chaps keep the photos coming...really interesting stuff! :D

Tom

Quick question I do have. I have seen a photo of an A3 in BR Express Blue (one of the ones assigned to the GCR I'm sure) she is hauling a Manchester Sheffield Express I believe, my question is, the A3 is seen running underneath the wires, would this have been when the electrification had been completed, or while under construction? I had noticed very little photos of steam after electrification so does this mean steam was banned under the wires?

I would assume that once the juice was switched on that there would be little requirement for steam haulage on the route. I don't think there was an actual ban on steam over Woodhead but I don't think it was appreciated on its own there either. In about 1964 I was on a special train which had the B1 and train hauled from Wombwell to Guide Bridge by TOMMY, I assume the B1 crew were required to keep smoke to a minimum through the tunnel.

• RMweb Premium

I will admit I only have recently have begun looking into Woodhead Route, but it has been a route I have known about vaguely, being born in 1985, am I right in thinking the line had already closed?

Hi

Yes the line closed in 1981.

Cheers

Paul

In places the line remaining open west of the Pennines has a strange 'abandoned railway' feel, even though it is a fairly busy commuter railway. I find this particularly evident east of Guide Bridge. Catenary masts spanning long-abandoned quadruple track or branching off to sidings, such as at Mottram, or stations such as Newton or Broadbottom that still retain the feel of a local station on a main line all exude a sense of abandonment.

Diary notes for 10/3/81) Derailed at 11.30hrs but carried on until all train derailed. 47 290 arrived with breakedown crane.....Wigan MPD steam crane in attendance during lifting at night. DMU local servce put on at 15.05hrs. (Dinting). And the rain poured down relentlessly!

(Larry Goddard Copyright).

post-6680-12724686924.jpgpost-6680-127246871437_thumb.jpgpost-6680-127246872855_thumb.jpgpost-6680-127246874681.jpgpost-6680-127246877155_thumb.jpgpost-6680-127246888686.jpgpost-6680-127246890981.jpgpost-6680-127246892623.jpgpost-6680-127246895001.jpgpost-6680-127246896855.jpgpost-6680-127246898016.jpg

Did you know the Dinting Footbridge is now as Ramsbottom on the ELR, the 2nd bit was in Bury Yard!

Great posts everyone.

What an awe inspiring line this was. So sad and annoying that it got shut.

It is nostalgic for me as my interest in trains and railways was weaned on old copies of "Motive Power" from the late 70s and early 80s. The main thing I remember from these magazines were shots of the Woodhead route and the Dawlish coast line. Fascinating, the nearest I came to the line in the flesh was going past Darnall shed on DMUs into Sheffield.

Any phots of that anyone?

Forthcoming attaction on the Sheffield end of the remains of the Woodhead:

The Rother-Don Rambler tour on 29 Jan 2011

http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.php/event-list.html?day=20110129

Anyone got any good suggestions on where to photograph it? I was out and about scouting for locations that are recognisable (not just a train on a single line in the undergrowth!), and there's not a lot north of Sheffield city centre.

Anyway, you can peer over the fence at the Deepcar end, where these were lurking beside the run-round loop before the steelworks:

DB993567 ex-Dogfish? With nicely bent brake wheel.

post-6971-0-49124700-1294579321_thumb.jpg

post-6971-0-72438300-1294579318_thumb.jpg

ex-bolster of some kind, no works plate visible

post-6971-0-09339700-1294579324_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for posting all this info & the great Pics.

I remember the day the first train ran thro' the new WOODHEAD TUNNEL, HAULED BY 26020, there was a great deal of news coverage on TV that day.

Showed my wife the pics of derelict Reddish depot she used to live 1/4 mile away!!

I often used to go to Reddish trainspotting remember it well!

Like most have said previously what a great shame it is that the Woodhead Route was closed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similarly up here in Nth Wales many are lamenting the closure of the Chester- Mold - Denbigh line given the traffic congestion we get!!