Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

A major consideration for me would be whether the chassis is designed for simple conversion to EM/P4. I am not expecting to be able to buy an RTR EM loco - just one which has been designed to allow for relatively straightforward conversion.

Best wishes 

Eric  

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Voted.

I’ve voted for the Isle of Wight options, however I think the IOW livery options could be better explained.  “SR Lined Green” could theoretically be either Maunsell or Malachite green, while “British Railways Green” presumably means Malachite in this instance, but that probably isn’t what most people think of when they read the phrase “British Railways Green”...

2CB7FE12-8613-4FA8-B338-1948548F1355.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Oooops! I completely missed the goods black building the form - now added! :-)

Thanks, but I think you forgot to add it to the second and third choice livery options.

With "my" interests, I would favour British railways mainline and pre-WW1 LBSC railway (to go with the 4- and 6-wheel coaches and whatever wagons are available).

Obviously a Southern Railway green one would be popular with the large numbers of SR fans, and at least one I.O.W. one).

Assuming I am a "perfect" exemplar !  (which obviously I am not) that is a minimum of 4 variants, with possibly a few more livery samples.

"We" can't make any sort of educated decisions on actual numbers of variants/liveries unless we know the cost implications of each.   IF an all singing and dancing version only costs an extra £10, then I think everyone here (except a few) would be happy, if it means an extra £30-£40 I would say yes, but I think that the number of total sales would be less.   I think that the evidence of recent smaller scale deliveries has been that quality attracts customers.

At present "we" are having a bit of a golden age because we seem to have plenty of pensioners who are relatively numerous and have spare money, as the numbers reduce and inflation returns (as is predicted) spending on model railways will reduce - produce the models now there is a market.

• Agree 1

I think that this prototype has great potential and will appeal to a large number of modellers. Covering an extended time span and offering a wide variety of liveries it should sell in good quantities if it is well advertised and distributed widely through the dealer network.

Perhaps they could be released in batches, rather than all one go. That would allow people to acquire all the models they want over a period of time without having to lay out a large sum of money all in one go.

All the best

Ray

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Perhaps they could be released in batches, rather than all one go. That would allow people to acquire all the models they want over a period of time without having to lay out a large sum of money all in one go.

Unless it is a model of a very popular prototype (say a class 47) I think people should expect at least several years between releases of loco models to allow for sufficient demand to build up again.

If one really must have multiple models then start to budget early, setting money aside, so you have the money to get what you want when it is available - or be prepared to wait whatever multiple of years are necessary to make that additional run viable.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2021 at 16:30, wainwright1 said:

I think that this prototype has great potential and will appeal to a large number of modellers. Covering an extended time span and offering a wide variety of liveries it should sell in good quantities if it is well advertised and distributed widely through the dealer network.

All the best

Ray

Problem is you then get people complaining because the livery they want isn't in the first batch.

Look at the Hornby Genesis coaches thread for evidence. Some are due soon, others in 2023 and some others after that. Probably in 2024.

Jason

• Like 2

When I have a finished rake of 10 Stroudley 26' 4-wheelers (and perhaps some Billintons are underway!) will be the time to suppress any impatience!  I'll be the versions I want whenever they come. What I suspect would be more useful would be a D1 in any case. A logical development for the manufacturer?

But, yes, I would certainly purchase all of Goods Green (at least one), Goods Black and IEG versions.  That would be my order of preference, as the IEG version only covers a very brief period in the early '80s, so for me, as for the Brighton, it is something to run pending the advent of a D tank!    

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Quite agree with Mr Edwardian that a D1 would be a logical move on from the E1. Production can span different eras and the IEG named versions could run for years with no duplications,especially for us that can't see straight to change the appropriate decals and numberplates!

Getting older by the second,

Craig.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, choo1choo said:

Quite agree with Mr Edwardian that a D1 would be a logical move on from the E1.

Depends on the premises on which your logic is founded. I suspect a manufacturer's logic is based on the questions:

• is it cute?
  • will it sell?
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Depends on the premises on which your logic is founded. I suspect a manufacturer's logic is based on the questions:

• is it cute?
  • will it sell?

In that case the D1 being both cute and,in my opinion for what it is worth, saleable should feed Rapido's coffers quite nicely.

Craig.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Surely the E1R is far more likely. Wasn't it originally slated as a spinoff?

No need for a totally new chassis to be designed. Just a few minor changes around the back end, bunker, cab, wheels,  etc. I'm pretty sure that could be designed into the tooling, at a cost obviously.

Don't forget the D1s didn't last long into BR days which is probably the best selling era, the E1Rs did.

The South West is also very popular with SR/BR(S) modellers. Those that bought Adams Radial Tanks, O2s, Beattie Well Tanks, 700s, M7s, T9s, etc. Might attract a few GWR/WR modellers as well.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/e1rclass.shtml

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ah, but don't forget that there were only ten E1Rs in a pretty restricted geographical area - that's only half the number of D1s BR inherited out of a total of 125 ( the Brighton's biggest class ) which had been seen from Axminster to New Romney in their heyday ........ not to mention the last survivor in Lancashire ! ( The Bluebell would have given their corporate eye teeth for that if it had lasted a few more years - in steamable condition !;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

• is it cute?
  • will it sell?

While (1) yes (it's got those Stroudley looks and a kooky trailing wheel almost as big as the drivers) and (2) yes (it will fit in too well with other RTR Brighton locos and generic coaches to be neglected)

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

manufacturer's logic

.... there you have made a rash assumption!

Still, in-service pre-Grouping livery models have not been with us very long, but now seem de rigueur

Anecdotal evidence suggests that nowadays sales are often more spread between periods and that, where once the BR black version of a thing would sell as many if not more than all the other livery versions put together, that is not always now the case.  Sometimes the pretty liveries do best.

There were some D1s in BR service, but only to 1951, and one in private service to '56.  That might be enough to sooth a manufacturer's nerves, though I suspect the nerves are unnecessary. 

Eventually, survival into BR days or preservation may become irrelevant as a factor in choosing a subject. Personally I look forward to that, because then someone may produce a GWR 517!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the chopped D1s actually spent more time working the Seaton branch than to Lyme Regis....

As a BR (s) Western Section modeller, the E1R would be the only member of the D1/E1 family of any use to me.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Obviously Rapido are worried about the pricing level, well a £200-plus 009 loco being announced yesterday should alleviate some of the worries.

Also the "worry" over the few D-1s that lasted into BR days doesn't seem to concern OO WORKS with their choice of Southern subjects.   The ideal is a loco whose life spreads from 1900 ( + / - ) up to the BR era.   The D-1s look good ("cute" if you like) and were useful locos  -  definitely another loco to be seriously looked at.

Getting back to the E-1s  -  they are needed as suitable Southern 0-6-0Ts are few and far between, I am certainly hoping for 5 versions as a minimum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2021 at 12:25, Compound2632 said:

• is it cute?
  • will it sell?

A D1 is named after a whole ton of south london suburbans.

South Londoners are quite a model railway community, and spend.

This is why the Terriers sold so well…

everyone could buy one from their “home” town.

D1’s offer more of the same… pick your south eastern town name here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LB%26SCR_D1_class_locomotives

A D1 is a pumped up Terrier, which is the reason why they were built…

its an LBSC equivalent of a GW 14xx,

painted as pretty as a Terrier with a lot of affluent town / village names.

An E1 might have more European naming, but its just not as pretty.

i actually think a D1 would sell better than the E1, and compete with the Terrier.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A D1 is named after a whole ton of south london suburbans.

South Londoners are quite a model railway community, and spend.

This is why the Terriers sold so well…

everyone could buy one from their “home” town.

D1’s offer more of the same… pick your south eastern town name here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LB%26SCR_D1_class_locomotives

A D1 is a pumped up Terrier, which is the reason why they were built…

its an LBSC equivalent of a GW 14xx,

painted as pretty as a Terrier with a lot of affluent town / village names.

An E1 might have more European naming, but its just not as pretty.

i actually think a D1 would sell better than the E1, and compete with the Terrier.

Although it doesn't change the argument, the D1 names actually came from all over the LBSC territory, not just the suburbs, many of which were only villages themselves when the locos were built in the 1870's, together with a few from the Isle of Wight, as this plot shows:

image.png.25dc44a133fe44bec463f7c6039f05a6.png

The number of English names on the E's was just a handful.

image.png.e2b9e247be5979a8cd7d15eacdae2de8.png

I don't think it is fair to call either of them "pumped-up Terriers".  The Terriers were specially designed for a particular purpose on the South London Line, with weight  and other restrictions, whereas the D1 and E1 designs were carefully considered to meet the requirements of the network as a whole, which they did for many years, far longer than any 14xx, which they pre-dated by around 60 years, except the preserved ones.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1