Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Why do they imagine that, in this instance, Southern modellers, would want to talk about other regions on this thread ?

It all broadens the mind - can't let people moulder in their Southern (or whichever) ghetto - that would be negligent!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

A thread that repeatedly digresses, suggests to me the audience isn’t as excited by the topic. That to me suggests theres a problem, with the product or the audience.

I always look at how many views a thread receives over time, its a worthwhile exercise as its a good judge of excitement and interest in the topic.

The last three or four pages maybe worth spinning off into a separate topic, though it reduces further the number of posts over time for this one, which personally I think speaks for itself.

501 replies, 53k views since June 2018

vs

2.4k replies, 269k views since Nov 2018 of a certain other thread who's product also is yet to be delivered (and several listed as sold out in advance).

As a modeller i’d buy maybe buy E1 in BR black, but that would be it.. its not that I dont support it (ive dozens of SR orientated steam models), but its not one that says wow, I need 3.

I can think of plenty others, even Southern types that would get me more excited.

If the E1 proceeds i’ll still support it, its still better than a duplication of an existing tooling, but think greater potential lies elsewhere.

If that means I am to become a target for abuse, then thats a reflection on others not me. Rather than bullying the audience, why not win them over ? Show me the vision i’d buy 3.. if I saw it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A thread that repeatedly digresses, suggests to me the audience isn’t as excited by the topic. That to me suggests theres a problem, with the product or the audience. ...

No it suggests that the "usual suspects" are interrupting popular threads and trying to hijack them as they cannot raise interest in their own threads about their own regions.

IF the "usual suspects"  " isn’t as excited by the topic "   then why do they interrupt and try to de-rail the thread ?

Why not start their own threads.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, I'm excited by the topic. Perhaps it's time to re-post a link to the Brighton Circle's website so we can mull over the wide choice of names - I wonder if there will be much of an after-market in transfers?

http://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/Stroudley/E1.xhtml

Was No. 138 MÂCON the only Brighton engine to sport a diacritic mark?

• Like 7

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A thread that repeatedly digresses, suggests to me the audience isn’t as excited by the topic. That to me suggests theres a problem, with the product or the audience. ....

Perhaps the audience are perfectly happy with whatever they've been told about the forthcoming product and are just keeping an eye on the thread while patiently awaiting its arrival.

The alternative might be a constant stream of I WANNIT NOW posts !!?!

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And if the meanderings give Rapido food for thought and other ideas to explore, then at the end of the day they, and thus we, may benefit. 

On the other hand, when the E1 gets released and people try browsing through this thread for info on the E1 they are likely to find it very frustrating given all of the off topic posts.

Or they do their daily/weekly whatever browse of RMweb and get excited that there appears to be news about the E1 because there are new messages, only to find the messages are about anything but an E1 - and thus give up reading the thread (see boy who cried wolf) and thus lose the ability to know when CAD/EP/order deadlines are posted and/or discussed.

Besides, unlike others Rapido have made it clear they prefer ideas/suggestions using the form on their website so that things can be tracked - for example, not just that someone wants loco X but that they actually have Y people requesting X so that it might actually be popular.

Edited by mdvle
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Perhaps it's time for a new thread that doesn't have Model Rail in the title, since the magazine is no longer involved. (CJL)

Or ask @sem34090 to change the topic title. There's much worthwhile information about the prototype here that to start all over again would be tedious. I think it has to be accepted that history cannot be re-written here; the record shows that the model started out as a Model Rail commission.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Named after the cinema at the Elephant and Castle.........

Drat! There was I thinking it was that part of Paris where Sherry and I dined a few years back. Just how wrong can a chap be? I think that place was named after a French victory in Spain a couple of centuries back. The Elephant flicks sounds much more plausible.

• Funny 2

12 hours ago, burgundy said:

A number of the class seem to have been named after  sources of drink - Rhine, Bordeaux, Macon,  Epernay, Calvados.  ....

All foreign for some reason ! ............... why not locos called Best Bitter, Mild, Old Ale, Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Porter, Barley Wine etc. ? :mosking:       

( There are some lovely beer names in the current Good Beer Guide - but most are far too post-L.B.& S.C.R. ! )

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• AY Mod changed the title to Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T
  • RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

All foreign for some reason ! ............... why not locos called Best Bitter, Mild, Old Ale, Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Porter, Barley Wine etc. ? :mosking:       

( There are some lovely beer names in the current Good Beer Guide - but most are far too post-L.B.& S.C.R. ! )

I fear "Scruttocks Old Dirigeable" might not have found favour with the LBSCR Directors. 

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I fear "Scruttocks Old Dirigeable" might not have found favour with the LBSCR Directors. 

Perhaps Stroudley should have presented his list of proposed names after the directors had been at the Scruttocks Old Dirigible?

There would undoubtedly have been passenger complaints if locomotives had been named after intoxicating liquors of any nationality, the Temperance Movement being in its stride in those days; French provinces were a different matter.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think the paintshop would have struggled to to squeeze all that lettering onto an E1's tank ........................... and abbreviating it to initials might not have been accepted.:stop:

ISTR in Marsh's era "L&B" was tried, but became known as Liver & Bacon!

22 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Reminds me of that old TV advert....

Courage and Barclays and Simmonds bring you the top ten beers.....

That included one called Russian Imperial if I remember correctly.

That takes it to a whole new level.

All the best

Merry Christmas

Ray

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Reminds me of that old TV advert....

Courage and Barclays and Simmonds bring you the top ten beers.....

That included one called Russian Imperial if I remember correctly.

That takes it to a whole new level.

All the best

Merry Christmas

Ray

Believe it or not we had an original recording, on a very thin 45 rpm record, of that advert! That couplet started "Courage and Barclay, and Simmonds, bring you the top three stouts" It then named two mainstream stouts, of which the second was Bristol "and Russian Imperial too", that being a rather exclusive product brewed intermittently. Most people thought it vile. Then "Every one's a winner, which one is the one for you?"

Yes, dad worked for the firm at Park Royal, as something like Asst to the Company Secretary.