Sale of the Century from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

Does this discounting of a large number of items point towards the approach of the point where the ever increasing RRPs of the RTR manufacturers are no longer sustainable?

Does this discounting of a large number of items point towards the approach of the point where the ever increasing RRPs of the RTR manufacturers are no longer sustainable?

No; it's a clearance of overstocks - it's not complete ranges or even complete ranges of a type of coaching stock for example; especially at the lower end of the price scale e.g. Hornby Mk2E coaches at £12/£14. A lot of the higher-selling items aren't in stock or included in the reductions. It happens in retail; the fact that the Co-Op down the road was selling a tub of grapes for 20p that are up today doesn't mean grapes are too expensive.

No; it's a clearance of overstocks - it's not complete ranges or even complete ranges of a type of coaching stock for example; especially at the lower end of the price scale e.g. Hornby Mk2E coaches at £12/£14. A lot of the higher-selling items aren't in stock or included in the reductions. It happens in retail; the fact that the Co-Op down the road was selling a tub of grapes for 20p that are up today doesn't mean grapes are too expensive.

If you look at Bachmann wagons - Hattons have 214 listed on the site, the majority are not in the (shouty echo on) "SALE OF THE CENTURYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyy"

I'd be looking for nice Big 4 livery locos or PO wagons  and there aren't that many in the sale - like I said the Black Motor looks tempting and that's it for me.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

There are a couple of Bachmann locos that I once had on pre-order but then cancelled due to the price increasing that I will now be purchasing.

Good for you!  Glad to see someone getting a benefit.    There are a load of my nice to haves in there. Seriously pondering a Scotrail 68

• RMweb Gold

Ive got a legacy fleet of Lima 31’s.

Ive been reluctant to let them go, as the newer version hasnt been produced in anywhere near the variety of liveries, 31413 Ice Cream Van, 31405/423 Mainline celebrities 31101, 31146/7 etc etc.

At £39 ive just bought a whole bunch of R3275 31144.

I’ll be upgrading my lima fleet now and sending a dozen Lima 31 chassis to heaven, or ebay, which ever is closer.

Whilst its out of my usual zone, 3 recent noisy encounters with a class 68, has made me decide to make room for one too at home.

Plus a wardrobe malfunction on a class 85, has given me incentive to replace rather than repair.

All in all, quite good.

I may return later for an ROD and a couple others, i dont need another 71, i just dont... but.

Expensive day today, just bought 11 full fat Bachmann mk2e’s from Derails too, so its not all about bargains and RRPs.

Edited by adb968008

I'm too sure about the point that this sale doesn't point to anything regards market trends; there is a hell of a lot of locos in this sale from both the Blue and Red teams. Even very, very recent rolling stock releases are in there - Bachmann Thompsons and Birdcages are now around 25-30% off their RRP, despite being less then 12 months old. 

Such heft of discounted stock will set mental precedents for a lot of modellers - why pre-order and/or pay full whack when the majority of things will eventually drop into the bargain bin? Don't forget, Hattons are effectively Hornby's main distributor nowadays for all intents and purposes, and so when they say 'overstocked' lines that's a euphemism for 'overmanufactured' on Sandwich's and Barwell's parts...

• RMweb Gold

I'm too sure about the point that this sale doesn't point to anything regards market trends; there is a hell of a lot of locos in this sale from both the Blue and Red teams. Even very, very recent rolling stock releases are in there - Bachmann Thompsons and Birdcages are now around 25-30% off their RRP, despite being less then 12 months old. 

Such heft of discounted stock will set mental precedents for a lot of modellers - why pre-order and/or pay full whack when the majority of things will eventually drop into the bargain bin? Don't forget, Hattons are effectively Hornby's main distributor nowadays for all intents and purposes, and so when they say 'overstocked' lines that's a euphemism for 'overmanufactured' on Sandwich's and Barwell's parts...

Good point,CoY.But maybe this is more to do with Hattons than either Blue or Red ? The litmus test will be when and if other retailers go down the same route. Rails for instance have been discounting Bachmann coaching stock for months. Your point about Hornby "over manufacturing" is well founded,though.

However, if want a rake of SECR birdcages, there is only one in the reduction. It should be noted that this is only a fraction of the items ever produced over the past few years.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe - but it's what isn't in the sale that tells us what is selling well. In 4mm RTR recent bijou 0-4-0 tank locos are conspicuous by their absence. Dapol B4, Hornby W4 and their like are clearly cutting the market mustard right now. The only small tanks in the list are either Railroad-sector models or others that have had mixed reviews. Now is the time for those with unfulfilled wants in that part of the market, e.g. the Industrial chaps, to be making their pitch to the manufacturers, because their ideas will be listened to. I am aware that an Industrials survey is under way. The timing could be perfect.

• Like 1

Bachmann O1 for £59 - just what I wanted to cut up to make an O4/8 (aka Hornby mag). And I nearly paid £79 when I read the article!

Stewart

Very enterprising. As one with less enterprise and skill, I have long wished for Bachmann to produce some O4 sub-classes.

• RMweb Gold

Maybe - but it's what isn't in the sale that tells us what is selling well. In 4mm RTR recent bijou 0-4-0 tank locos are conspicuous by their absence. Dapol B4, Hornby W4 and their like are clearly cutting the market mustard right now. The only small tanks in the list are either Railroad-sector models or others that have had mixed reviews. Now is the time for those with unfulfilled wants in that part of the market, e.g. the Industrial chaps, to be making their pitch to the manufacturers, because their ideas will be listened to. I am aware that an Industrials survey is under way. The timing could be perfect.

And about 40% of the items on offer in the steam locos section are pre-1950 liveries.

Or that Hattons misjudged the sales (and hence stock holding) for those items. Sales of model railway items are notoriously difficult to forecast, often being dependent on a number of irrational factors.

Perhaps the COTC and Hattons move into wholesaling of their own brand models is indicative of a desire to increase cash flow to fund further commissions.

Oh b*gg*er...

This could get serious!

WIBBLE

It's nice to see so many things I don't want...It's nice to see so many things I don't want...It's nice to see so many things I don't want... It's nice to etc etc.....

• RMweb Gold

Hattons own Barclay "katie" has had £10 knocked off.