Rails announce NER electric autocar in OO

Andy Y

21 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Do you use a Relco track cleaning system?  [ Rather old these days I think.]

or

Does your controller use back EMF?

Hi Andy, I have a NCE Powercab, I believe it does use back EMF as I had an issue once before that was resolved by changing CV for the back EMF.

Not heard of Relco I'm afraid. Been using rubbing alcohol but might give Inox a go. 

edit: or Uk equivalent of Inox...

Edited by N.E. Thing
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, N.E. Thing said:

Hi Andy, I have a NCE Powercab, I believe it does use back EMF as I had an issue once before that was resolved by changing CV for the back EMF.

Not heard of Relco I'm afraid. Been using rubbing alcohol but might give Inox a go. 

edit: or Uk equivalent of Inox...

A Relco is a track cleaning device that works by passing an AC current through the track. Its very little used now as it can damage modern motors and is death to DCC.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

So you are using DCC.  Not something I have used but I have seen back EMF DC react with some motors to produce exactly the flashing effect you describe.  It might be worth seeing what happens if you turn it off.

• Like 1

I received my LNER sound version a few days ago here in New Zealand.  With great anticipation I put it on the track (DCC), where it was as dead as a dodo (or moa).   I took the body off (very easy to do) and found the Next18 chip had fallen out.  The model is now running beautifully.  It copes with hand made Code 75 points as well as some older Code 100 Shinohara, and it powers up 3% grades without issue.  A lovely although expensive model, but it does need a driver. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/05/2022 at 18:27, N.E. Thing said:

Thanks - It weighs 220g. I tried it with 50g of tire weights and lo and behold it is performing a lot better - not quite perfect, but better. The lighting flickers a lot. Got to figure out how to fit the extra weight as I put in too much to close the body.

Any other tips gratefully received!

Where did you manage to put the weights? When I had the body off I couldn't find any suitable place to put any.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 08:58, trainfan101 said:

I received my LNER sound version a few days ago here in New Zealand.  With great anticipation I put it on the track (DCC), where it was as dead as a dodo (or moa).   I took the body off (very easy to do) and found the Next18 chip had fallen out.  

Same same.  Mine was dead as a dead dingo's donga.  It rattled, so I figured that something had fallen out. It proved to be the chip, as others have found (thank you).  It must be something to do with crossing the equator.   

The chip is now in, and the car is working.  I suspect that the chip may fall out again or move, given how insecure it is.  I will need get used to driving from the sound settings, like the brakes, and figure out how the lights work. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a very Nice video from 'Neville Grove'. A couple of the new Autocars and An Atlantic C1 went through the professional hands of Steve, and he made the following clip. Can't wait to see them in the flesh!

It's certainly worth to have a look at his other videos, high quality work, both weathering and filming. 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Can anybody offer some advise please ?

Just bought one of these and have run in and cleaned wheels and contacts.

When running backwards all seems ok if a little noisy, buzz’s travelling forwards (engine) first ?

Something else that I have noticed is that loco hesitates on points and curves analogue and dcc.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

When I saw that N.E.R. liveried No.3170 was sold out a few months back, having dithered over committing, on reflection realised I regretted not ordering one. My main reservation - the price. So when the notice came a second batch was available for pre order, I took the plunge.

Following the arrival of new stock, N.E.R. liveried No.3170 turned up at my doorstep today. Seems to run very well on DC, quiet, nice and smooth, no stuttering and is showing no signs of torque or adhesion problems that I've seen some have reported. On my digital scales, it comes in at 218 grams.

I have to say for a modeller who only really collects steam motive power, it looks stunning and I'm very glad to have her in the collection.

306398389_812579463199450_6054566289257223960_n.jpg

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently Rails have 20% off one of the models...

"Purchase our exclusive Heljan OO Gauge North Eastern Railway Electric Autocar No.3170 before midnight on Thursday (18/05), enter the code NER20 at the checkout and receive 20% off!

The offer is valid on RL3171 No.3170 version only and excludes all other versions"

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 09/05/2022 at 20:31, thetalkinlens said:

When I was at Embsay for the photo charter with 3170 in February, it was discussed a bit about the three lamps, with all archive photos apparently in the same position, though no one seemed sure what it meant. Presumably that is an NER lamp code?

IMG_8403a.jpg

Bit late in the day perhaps, but Ken Hoole published a chart of three-lamp codes for the contemporary Tyneside electric cars. 

[The North Eastern Electrics, Oakwood1987 page76]

Basically, they are destination codes, for example cars running into Newcastle Central in 1905 displayed a green  lamp on the left and a white on the right, with no lamp in the centre. One running up to South Gosforth and Monkseaton had only a white on the right.

These particular codes were only relevant for Tyneside, but presumably the same principle applied to other routes

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

33 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Bit late in the day perhaps, but Ken Hoole published a chart of three-lamp codes for the contemporary Tyneside electric cars. 

[The North Eastern Electrics, Oakwood1987 page76]

Basically, they are destination codes, for example cars running into Newcastle Central in 1905 displayed a green  lamp on the left and a white on the right, with no lamp in the centre. One running up to South Gosforth and Monkseaton had only a white on the right.

These particular codes were only relevant for Tyneside, but presumably the same principle applied to other routes

I'd still be interested to find out. The impression I got for the N.E.R. was there were workings, which included mineral traffic (so that is interesting to hear the Tyneside electric system can be added to that list) which would have a specific headcode and that sometimes included a disc like what was seen on the Southern Railway. But for regular workings, eg express passenger, pickup goods, regular passenger etc, the impression I get is these were standard across the N.E.R. network. That is my guess though, and I could be totally wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thetalkinlens said:

I'd still be interested to find out. The impression I got for the N.E.R. was there were workings, which included mineral traffic (so that is interesting to hear the Tyneside electric system can be added to that list) which would have a specific headcode and that sometimes included a disc like what was seen on the Southern Railway. But for regular workings, eg express passenger, pickup goods, regular passenger etc, the impression I get is these were standard across the N.E.R. network. That is my guess though, and I could be totally wrong.

Reading Hoole more closely he actually details headcodes for three routes in the 1905 WTT

Central Station-Tynemouth and New Bridge Street/Manors North - via Riverside: code was green lamp on the right and white on the left, with no lamp in the middle

Central Station - Tynemouth, Monkseaton and New Bridge Street/Manors North - via Heaton: code was white on the right and green on the right with no lamp in the middle

Central, Monkseaton and Tynemouth via Benton was white, green, white.

The codes then changed in 1922 and are really only to be understood if you're familiar with the Tyneside network, but clearly the same type of codes would have been used on the routes operated by 3170 and 3171 in Yorkshire.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1