Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Would the quions & lintels be made from a different type of stone, and therefore be a slightly different colour?

The chads will be posted today, had to go out for a birthday lunch yesterday so didn't get to the PO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Yes, I was looking at the photos last night after I'd posted them, thinking the same thing.

I was hoping that because they were actually plain styrene they might have taken the paint differently to the embossed sheet, to give the contrast as you suggest.

I think I'll try taking off the wash on them a bit, so that they appear paler.

Thanks mate, no worries, whenever you get time with the chads.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today, I been mostly painting...

Well, not quite true, but I've done a lot of painting, and the other end of the layout is now painted and ash covered:

post-17302-0-74799000-1547670640_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-30653500-1547670641_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-89175300-1547670641_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-61092300-1547670642_thumb.jpg

Then, I thought I'd run some trains. But OH NO! some silly ass has covered all the rails in masking tape!

post-17302-0-51582100-1547670643_thumb.jpg

Apart from painting, today I've been mostly flocking...

I started by masking off the lower roadway, and adding some flock, or scatter to the static grass that was already there, plus some more static grass as well.

post-17302-0-29657600-1547670644_thumb.jpg

I also had an attack of flockage on the grassy knolls:

post-17302-0-14023300-1547670645_thumb.jpg

Shaun and Adrian, the gratuitous banana shot is just for you... :)

Then I masked up the rails, and after a good blast of hairspray, started to add static grass between the tracks:

post-17302-0-76661500-1547670645_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-31503600-1547670646_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-09624600-1547670647_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-37539300-1547670944_thumb.jpg

I've hoovered off the excess, but I'm leaving the tape on for now until I can decide whether to add some more longer grass in places.

Tomorrow I will mask off the other end.

However, before I do, I'm wondering whether to add a small loading dock at the forward edge of the board in front of the front left siding.

post-17302-0-35899700-1547671453_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Al.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

If you don't add a loading bank you could add a single lorry/cart to spot a wagon next to. It will also keep the open and spacious feel to the whole yard.

A loading bank gives the impression of a much busier yard.

You would also lose the ground-level view across the tracks

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stu.

The headshunt for that siding holds a loco and three wagons, so that's the most there would be in that siding at any one time.

I agree with you that I don't want to overload the yard with structures, which is why I'm unsure of adding the loading dock.

However, given that I've postulated a weighbridge, I sort of had it in mind that there would be a consistent amount of traffic, and would they really unload that straight into the wagon at the date I'm modelling (60's)?

As you can see, I'm not sure either way at the moment.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

What sort of goods are you planning to import/export from the yard?

A weigh bridge would be for goods leaving the yard, so would the merchant want them hanging around on an open platform?

A platfrom might also have had a crane, which would need a shed or hut for maintenance equipment (oil,etc). If the crane has been removed, then the hut might have gone too, but there would be traces left.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Most of the goods outwards I think would be mineral traffic, brought by rail from local quarries, for onwards transport by road. However there would also be van traffic for local occupancies and businesses.

Edit: The mineral traffic is slowly dying by this time, as most quarries were beginning to send their product direct by road. There were however a number of smaller quarries that still had primarily rail access.

The output would not be large though, maybe a wagon or two a day.

Ladmanlow was sort of a forgotten bit of the C&HPR, not on the main route, but the goods yard here did seem to keep going with small loads.

I wonder if the weighbridge is a legacy from when the yard was still much busier.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

???

By rail from local quarries?

Surely if local the lorries would be used for the whole journey?

I'm not trying to be awkward, honest, just trying to understand and help with the back story, so the infrastructure you include has a reasonable rational.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

???

By rail from local quarries?

Surely if local the lorries would be used for the whole journey?

I'm not trying to be awkward, honest, just trying to understand and help with the back storey, so the infrastructure you include has a reasonable rational.

No that's fine, thanks, you are helping me to rationalise what I'm modelling.

See my edit re quarry traffic

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, just been googling small goods yards, and the C&HPR.

A loading dock probably wouldn't have been used, but there's quite a few instances of a yard crane, which would be a nice addition to the layout.

So I'll look into building one of those. A nice rusty crane... Mmmmmm!

Al.

• RMweb Gold

This is the yard crane at Conwy, (my photos).

The origins of this crane are LNWR and later LMS - the same as parts of the C&HPR - so it's quite likely to be of the same pattern.

post-17302-0-35627900-1547677786_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-98822700-1547677786_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-67524300-1547677787_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-25779200-1547677788_thumb.jpg

I will have a go at building one of these.

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, just been googling small goods yards, and the C&HPR.

A loading dock probably wouldn't have been used, but there's quite a few instances of a yard crane, which would be a nice addition to the layout.

So I'll look into building one of those. A nice rusty crane... Mmmmmm!

Al.

Sounds right up your alley.  Looking forward to it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, nice set of pictures of progress and future ideas. A visit to your local watch and clock restorer/repairer may get you enough old bits of cogs etc to build the crane. All the best Adrian.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/clock-cogs/bn_7024963515

Edit to add the above link.

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 1

This is the yard crane at Conwy, (my photos).

The origins of this crane are LNWR and later LMS - the same as parts of the C&HPR - so it's quite likely to be of the same pattern.

attachicon.gifladmanlow297.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow298.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow299.jpg

attachicon.gifladmanlow300.jpg

I will have a go at building one of these.

Al.

That's in a better state than the crane at Minninglow Quarry.

Just to be different and add operational interest, how about one of these?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2069/entry-18172-an-ex-midland-railway-hand-crane/

Mike.

Mike's Models made a similar crane to that which, for some reason, was advertised until recently by Holt Models as a yard crane. I got one a few years ago and have now acquired a suitable chassis by chance in a swapmeet 'lucky dip' job lot (got to find the crane now before the chassis get put somewhere safe).

Wills also do a plastic kit of a similar crane (SS51), though the boom seems a little short for use as a ground mounted crane (fine if on a plinth), though could probably be extended quite easily; Bachmann Scenecraft also do a ready-to-plant version of a similar crane (which comes with a loading gauge but is a much more expensive offering vs the Wills kit).

Ratio also do a different style of yard crane (kit no.531), which is rather nice but again really needs a plinth to stand on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, what a lot of posts!

Hi Al, nice set of pictures of progress and future ideas. A visit to your local watch and clock restorer/repairer may get you enough old bits of cogs etc to build the crane. All the best Adrian.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/clock-cogs/bn_7024963515

Edit to add the above link.

You're not going to believe this, but I bought a pack from that very seller at about 03:00 this morning... :)

Great minds think alike... Do you eat bananas?

Just to be different and add operational interest, how about one of these?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2069/entry-18172-an-ex-midland-railway-hand-crane/

Mike.

That's very nice Mike, i was looking at something similar last night.

I decided though, that I haven't got the siding space to be able to use one convincingly, unless it was brought into the yard, used and then taken away again, which is probably not that believable.

That's in a better state than the crane at Minninglow Quarry.

I didn't realise there was one there, might  have to pop up and have a look. Thanks.

Wills also do a plastic kit of a similar crane (SS51), though the boom seems a little short for use as a ground mounted crane (fine if on a plinth), though could probably be extended quite easily; Bachmann Scenecraft also do a ready-to-plant version of a similar crane (which comes with a loading gauge but is a much more expensive offering vs the Wills kit).

Ratio also do a different style of yard crane (kit no.531), which is rather nice but again really needs a plinth to stand on.

Oh come on Martyn, what's this buying kits you speak of? :) You know I'd rather disappear in a flurry of plasticard, and emerge triumphant with a semi-convincing model... :D

Seriously though, thanks a lot, I might be able to cannibalise the Wills kit for things like the bottom yoke, which would be hard to create by hand.

Cheers all,

Al.

• Like 2