Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to find pictures I took of an unusual crane at the Longdowns Garage  (Crane Garage).   Probably better defined as a derrick.

It's mostly a telegraph pole with some home-made metal work to hold it and angle it.

I have photos on the home pc, just not with me on the phone and I can't find any on the 'net.

Edit: Google Street view screen grab:

post-7025-0-94638500-1547721103_thumb.png

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That looks very similar to the ones we've been discussing Stu, particularly the Conwy one.

Apparently known as a "fixed Jib" crane, because the arm doesn't move up or down, or extend, it's fixed in place by solid stays. According to Wikipedia, a derrick has a raisable jib.

Eeh, the things we learn in this hobby! :)

Al.

Hi Al,

Struggling to keep up with the pace of posts on here!

Old photos of the yard at Ladmanlow show that there was a long loading bank, as well as a goods shed / store and a water tank for locos. Will post something later when I get home.

As far as traffic is concerned, don't forget that the siding to Grin Quarry left the main line just the other side of the level crossing, so stone wagons would be worked into the yard before the train was reversed for departure to Harpur Hill and Buxton. Grin also had its own locomotive, which would add some interest to operations.

Regards,

Geraint

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

Struggling to keep up with the pace of posts on here!

Old photos of the yard at Ladmanlow show that there was a long loading bank, as well as a goods shed / store and a water tank for locos. Will post something later when I get home.

As far as traffic is concerned, don't forget that the siding to Grin Quarry left the main line just the other side of the level crossing, so stone wagons would be worked into the yard before the train was reversed for departure to Harpur Hill and Buxton. Grin also had its own locomotive, which would add some interest to operations.

Regards,

Geraint

Hi Geraint, great to hear from you.

Thanks very much, I've seen a couple of photos of Ladmanlow on the t'internet, but it seems to have been rarely photographed - as I suppose is true of most goods yards - so I'd be interested to see what you have.

My interpretation of Ladmanlow is not very prototypical, I'm afraid, it's mostly just a name to hang on a small shunting plank, and therefore it doesn't have the room for the goods shed, loading dock etc which were present in reality. The prototype was a much larger and busier yard than my model.

However, where possible I will try and reflect the traffic that would be expected to be seen at the real location.

Thanks again,

Al.

I've been digging into my archives.  Attached is a photograph of Ladmanlow yard taken from the level crossing on the A53 road, looking north-west towards Burbage Edge (I lived in Burbage in the 50s and 60s).  I suspect the photograph may have been taken in the early 1950s.  The second is a drawing of the track layout.  Unfortunately I didn't make a note of where these came from.

Edit: I've just noticed the LMS on top of the notice board, so the photograph may have been taken earlier.  The track wasn't lifted until the late 1950s.

Peterfgf

post-3553-0-37465200-1547732935_thumb.jpg

post-3553-0-36499700-1547732990_thumb.jpg

Edited by peterfgf
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks so much for those Peter.

I've seen that photo before, but never seen a track plan.

As I said to Geriant, I'm not planning to replicate the real thing on this layout, it's more a representation of a typical C&HPR scene, but nonetheless it's nice to see the real thing.

Thank you for the time and effort you've put in to finding those, much appreciated.

Al.

An interesting post peterfgf.

It is interesting that the plan, which is dated 1924, does not show the goods shed on the spur adj to the mile post or the loading bank adjacent to the water tower.

Does this mean that they were built later?

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

Al,

Do you not have this book, it is highly recommended if you want to see more about Ladmanlow. It was written by Mike Bentley who was a driver on the C & H P Rly.

Mike

post-20018-0-80932400-1547743426_thumb.jpeg

Edited by airnimal

• RMweb Gold

Another plan, this time from the National Library of Scotland OS maps.

attachicon.gifLadmanlow early.jpg

This shows that in the early days there was a crane.

Gordon A

Ah excellent, thank you Gordon, and thanks for pointing out that the goods shed doesn't appear on the other plan as well, I hadn't noticed.

Al

Al,

Do you not have this book, it is highly recommended if you want to see more about Ladmanlow. It was written by Mike Bentley who was a driver on the C & H P Rly.

Mike

Hi Mike,

No, I don't, but I'll look for it now, thank you.

Al.

There’s a fair number of Ladmanlow photos in that book. I meant to point out the real place had a loading bank and goods shed/provender store up to closure, but others beat me to it!

Personally, I think a loading bank would spoil the open feel of the layout, but a fixed point crane next to that siding would be a good way of indicating how local goods traffic was served - Parsley Hay had a small yard with crane, a couple of sidings in hard standing and a way of dealing with the water tender traffic, while the rest of the station was long sidings for dealing with mineral traffic off the southern end of the C&HPR.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Stubby, I'm now the proud owner of a cornish chad mountain:

post-17302-0-67640500-1547759820_thumb.jpg

So my evening will mostly be spent doing this:

post-17302-0-30099500-1547759821_thumb.jpg

And when I've done that one, I've got this to do, now with window and door:

post-17302-0-38451200-1547759819_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-95031000-1547759819_thumb.jpg

But I thought I'd spend a couple of minutes finding views around the layout, now the ground cover is mostly done:

post-17302-0-85743300-1547759821_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-93732300-1547759822_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-46234300-1547759823_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-02529900-1547759824_thumb.jpg

Back to tiling now.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I can't sleep, so I thought I would post this.

Last night I finished the tiling of the small office roof, and completed detailing and painting the building.

post-17302-0-91772700-1547782635_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-55356600-1547782636_thumb.jpg

The building needs bedding in properly, and I want to add some clutter around it, and maybe a row of fire buckets under the window.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 10

I've been silently following this thread for a while; the modelling is absolutely superb, capturing the prototype perfectly. 

I decided to post when I saw your pictures of the crane at Conwy, as I thought it seemed familiar...

44-0036_3140830_Qty1_1.jpg

(https://www.hattons.co.uk/107459/Bachmann_Branchline_44_0036_Yard_Crane_and_Loading_Gauge/StockDetail.aspx)

It seems it was chosen by Bachmann for a Scenecraft model!

On another note, if you're going to add a crane, why not make a functioning one? I recently modified the Wills kit to operate "remotely": http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136436-oo-works-in-three-shoeboxes/?p=3439167

I think you should have a go. I found it a simple task (and it should be easier if you're building it from scratch!), it adds another moving element to the scene, and encourages realistic operation; the wagons become empty vessels to transport the cargo as per real life, rather than being pushed around aimlessly.

Either way, I'm enjoying watching your progress; keep up the good work!

• RMweb Gold

How did you do the ridge tiles on the other hut? They look very effective.

Hi Stu,

Funnily enough I was just doing the ridge tiles for the office, and realised I hadn't shown that bit for the hut, so I took some photos.

So I start with a strip of 10thou styrene sheet, which is then bent between two steel rules, folded until it's nearly double and then opened out.

post-17302-0-96127700-1547831605_thumb.jpg

Then I cut loads of short sections of 10thou x 20thou microstrip, and glue them along one side of the folded styrene with Mek.

post-17302-0-54185200-1547831606_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19373500-1547831607_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-90893200-1547831607_thumb.jpg

Once the first side has set and dried off, I then bend the microstrip over the other side and glue it.

post-17302-0-47637100-1547831608_thumb.jpg

Finally I trim off the excess.

post-17302-0-48948300-1547831609_thumb.jpg

The whole thing is then glued to the roof with neat PVA.

post-17302-0-15450400-1547831610_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-90923500-1547831610_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've been silently following this thread for a while; the modelling is absolutely superb, capturing the prototype perfectly. 

I decided to post when I saw your pictures of the crane at Conwy, as I thought it seemed familiar...

44-0036_3140830_Qty1_1.jpg

(https://www.hattons.co.uk/107459/Bachmann_Branchline_44_0036_Yard_Crane_and_Loading_Gauge/StockDetail.aspx)

It seems it was chosen by Bachmann for a Scenecraft model!

On another note, if you're going to add a crane, why not make a functioning one? I recently modified the Wills kit to operate "remotely": http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136436-oo-works-in-three-shoeboxes/?p=3439167

I think you should have a go. I found it a simple task (and it should be easier if you're building it from scratch!), it adds another moving element to the scene, and encourages realistic operation; the wagons become empty vessels to transport the cargo as per real life, rather than being pushed around aimlessly.

Either way, I'm enjoying watching your progress; keep up the good work!

Hi, thanks very much for your comments.

Yes, I saw the Bachmann set when I was searching for images of yard cranes, it definitely looks like the Conwy one.

I love what you've done with the Wills kit, both the technical aspects of making it functional, but also your painting of it, which really looks good.

As I'm scratchbuilding mine, I'm not sure I will be able to make it functional, but it's an interesting option, and if I can, I will.

Thanks a lot,

Al.