Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• Administrators

As pleased as most of us are with the items announced for production (and in the short term at that), I wonder what it was that Andy Y thought was so "eye-opening" in his original "Dawn at Margate" post.

What we are not seeing here is any sign that Hornby has "got it", i.e. they know what has been going wrong in recent years. Still no coherent overall marketing strategy of Railroad vs Premium models. Still not addressing major QC issues http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141181-i-have-truly-had-it-with-Hornby/. Still marketing direct rather than supporting their dealer network......

Models being announced and available 3 months later - with decorated examples for us to look at in December was pretty "eye-opening" as was talking to a CEO and Directors who seemed to have a passion for the hobby and business. We did see that they "got it" in a way that the previous management didn't (or at least say they do) and if you see Simon's interview in BRM Express today, this should provide more information. Sorry, we can't give you a transcript of every conversation we had, you'll just have to take our word for it. 

Not sure what you mean about marketing direct, but if you mean direct sales then they still do this but at full RRP. Can't see this worrying the dealer network much as they can all offer the same product at a lower price.

If you mean the dealer network should be doing the marketing, that would be like BMW telling local garages to book their own TV advertising slots because they weren't going to do this centrally any more. As it was, Hornby arranged the main press stuff so we could publicise the range for the dealers to sell.

If you want doom and gloom, then at the moment, you'll have to look elsewhere. Not everything is perfect and won't be for quite some time I suspect, but there are positive signs. 

• Like 2

Models being announced and available 3 months later - with decorated examples for us to look at in December was pretty "eye-opening" as was talking to a CEO and Directors who seemed to have a passion for the hobby and business. We did see that they "got it" in a way that the previous management didn't (or at least say they do) and if you see Simon's interview in BRM Express today, this should provide more information. Sorry, we can't give you a transcript of every conversation we had, you'll just have to take our word for it. 

Not sure what you mean about marketing direct, but if you mean direct sales then they still do this but at full RRP. Can't see this worrying the dealer network much as they can all offer the same product at a lower price.

If you mean the dealer network should be doing the marketing, that would be like BMW telling local garages to book their own TV advertising slots because they weren't going to do this centrally any more. As it was, Hornby arranged the main press stuff so we could publicise the range for the dealers to sell.

If you want doom and gloom, then at the moment, you'll have to look elsewhere. Not everything is perfect and won't be for quite some time I suspect, but there are positive signs. 

Also the direct selling is at full list price with limited stocks and the website directs you to check out the dealer network when they are out of stock. This is in contrast to a few years back when the website was undercutting dealers and had stock when dealer orders were unfulfilled. Personally although I think it's important to support the dealer network I don't think there are enough model shops left to support a delaer only approach - for example if you want Peco or Bachmann in the London area you're basically stuffed if Ian Allan don't have it....

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby website states it is DCC ready with a 5 pole skew wound motor. To me it would seem very strange and a waste of money to update the old Hornby model when they've already updated the Lima tooling with a 5 pole motor and DCC.

Not only was the Lima model much better looking than the Hornby one but importantly it doesn't have the guards window, therefore better representing the current GWR class 43. I suspect Hornby have used the Hornby model for the image but will produce the Limby model in the end.

You'd have thought so, seems very odd that the box images all show the old power car though!  

Does anyone know if the Northern Belle train pack R3697 will contain the newer Mk2E/F coaches or the ancient and crude Mk2D coaches? Various retailers (Hattons, Colletts, etc) are advertising them as Mk2F coaches. Hornby don't seem to mention what coaches come in the pack, though their picture shows the old style Mk2D.

The seperate Northern Belle coach pack, R4898, is listed as Mk2D coaches yet the picture shows them with updated underframe, bogies etc. This time Kernow are advertising them as Mk2E. 

This confusion will lead people, including myself, to hold off buying these items.

I would really like to buy both sets, but not if it comes with thoes awful ex airfix/ Dapol Mk2D coaches. The windows really do look bad. As Hornby have already produced the Mk2E coach in the railroad range and are developing the Mk2F it would make sense to use an updated version for these packs, and scrap the old Mk2D tooling altogether.

Let's suggest to Hornby that now they have have on their inventory all 3 types of mk2 aircon coaches, d, e and f, that they use the correct type for the Northern Belle open first coaches. I can't remember OTTOMH, what mark each coach is, and my book about such stuff is packed away, but ISTR that they weren't all the same mark. The brake coach should be a BFK too, not a BSO.

Either way, clarity is needed from Hornby.

Guest teacupteacup

As pleased as most of us are with the items announced for production (and in the short term at that), I wonder what it was that Andy Y thought was so "eye-opening" in his original "Dawn at Margate" post.

What we are not seeing here is any sign that Hornby has "got it", i.e. they know what has been going wrong in recent years. Still no coherent overall marketing strategy of Railroad vs Premium models. Still not addressing major QC issues http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141181-i-have-truly-had-it-with-Hornby/. Still marketing direct rather than supporting their dealer network......

I'd say announcing 2 industrials is rather eye opening - who's done that before?

• RMweb Premium

Let's suggest to Hornby that now they have have on their inventory all 3 types of mk2 aircon coaches, d, e and f, that they use the correct type for the Northern Belle open first coaches. I can't remember OTTOMH, what mark each coach is, and my book about such stuff is packed away, but ISTR that they weren't all the same mark. The brake coach should be a BFK too, not a BSO.

Either way, clarity is needed from Hornby.

As previously said on this thread, I'm a keen collector of all things Northern Belle, so watching with interest. I have transfers that (for 3 years) have been awaiting to affix to give me an Alnwick and change one of my Sleepers from Crewe to Balmoral.

We now see that Hornby are releasing Alnwick in their new Coach Pack.

I suspect it will be to the old design (just my guess).

I've accepted the old style now and it would be far too costly for me to replace my entire rake. It does still grate that my coaches are all 2+2 seating rather than the 2+1 that the prototype runs. I've held off from installing lighting strips for that reason. Attached is a note of what the prototype is, along with the previously released Hornby Train & Coach packs. There was also a Train Set with Duchess of Sutherland in maroon.

post-22167-0-85113600-1547145551_thumb.jpg

Let's suggest to Hornby that now they have have on their inventory all 3 types of mk2 aircon coaches, d, e and f, that they use the correct type for the Northern Belle open first coaches.

Please don't!

I would much rather have Hornby produce a Mk2e/f pretending to be a Mk2b than to have that old ex Dapol model. The windows on it look stupid. They're too square and have odd window ledges. It's a very dated model. For many years Hornby produced this coach pretending to be a Mk2e/f so I don't think they (or anyone else) will mind. Obviously, a fully retooled Mk2b would be better!

Please don't!

I would much rather have Hornby produce a Mk2e/f pretending to be a Mk2b than to have that old ex Dapol model. The windows on it look stupid. They're too square and have odd window ledges. It's a very dated model. For many years Hornby produced this coach pretending to be a Mk2e/f so I don't think they (or anyone else) will mind. Obviously, a fully retooled Mk2b would be better!

None of the Northern Belle coaches are mk2b matey. Mk1 catering vehicles, mk2d or e open firsts and brake, mk3 sleepers.

The Hornby website states it is DCC ready with a 5 pole skew wound motor. To me it would seem very strange and a waste of money to update the old Hornby model when they've already updated the Lima tooling with a 5 pole motor and DCC.

Not only was the Lima model much better looking than the Hornby one but importantly it doesn't have the guards window, therefore better representing the current GWR class 43. I suspect Hornby have used the Hornby model for the image but will produce the Limby model in the end.

Railway Modeller says both the GWR and blue grey HSTs will be the Lima model.

• RMweb Premium

Yes. It was two cobbled together to make a set as they were bomb or collision damaged. I think there was three or four of them.

Jason

Graham Muz explains here:

https://grahammuz.com/2019/01/07/Hornby-announce-2019-range-including-brand-new-bulleid-59ft-coaches-and-ex-lswr-diagram-1543-20-24t-brake-van/

To me this seems a clever, low-cost way for Hornby to pique the interest of the 3rd-rail fraternity (I've certainly ordered one) - it's certainly something a little "different"! 

James

• RMweb Premium

Puzzled . Just looking at the catalogue . There’s a pair of Original livery HSTs in the Railroad Range , but no blue/grey Mk3s . What’s it supposed to run with?

I've been wondering that. Though it's probably a little more prototypical than one with just one coach.

Puzzled . Just looking at the catalogue . There’s a pair of Original livery HSTs in the Railroad Range , but no blue/grey Mk3s . What’s it supposed to run with?

The thousands of BR Blue/Grey Mark 3s that are already out there?

If there is demand then they'll probably make another batch. Although Hatton's were flogging them off for £14 the other week.

Jason

Well, BRM Express has invited readers to join in on this topic, which I have been following with interest already.  Though I havn't caught up with the last 24hrs comment.

Good for Hornby!  May their 2019 choices bring commercial reward as well pleasure to modellers.

I'll be 80 in a couple of weeks time, and so you'll understand that I'm thinking more of thinning out my collection than adding to it.  But, being primarily a Southern fan as far as passenger workings are concerned, I may well decide to buy a Bulleid shortie set.  Having upgraded my rake of Bachmann 63' stock - flush windows, bogie running boards - it's unlikely that I'll replace them with the forthcoming re-tooled versions.  I'll need to take a close look at Hornby's treatment of the window vents, though, as something looked odd to me about them on one of their recent releases.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if I've missed this, but is there an explanation for the Evening Star and British Railways Railroad 66's being so much more expensive than the other ones? The price difference might be right if they had TTS sound, but they don't seem to.

From modern perspective it is a Shame no Blue 56 coming as several versions are needed.. Same for the 08 and i thought maybe Hornby might think about developing stay alive for it and improving it with lights.. A retool on the 37 would be obvious but this will probably be announced by someone else now.. More Lima 66s from a bygone era seems baffling but they must be selling.. But efforts in trailblazimg seem lacking..

• RMweb Premium

The thousands of BR Blue/Grey Mark 3s that are already out there?

It does seem a bit odd though to have nothing currently available to run with them, even if they are available second hand.

According to the catalogue the Railroad Blue/Grey HST pack is available now, as is the GWR railcar.

Guest teacupteacup

From modern perspective it is a Shame no Blue 56 coming as several versions are needed.. Same for the 08 and i thought maybe Hornby might think about developing stay alive for it and improving it with lights.. A retool on the 37 would be obvious but this will probably be announced by someone else now.. More Lima 66s from a bygone era seems baffling but they must be selling.. But efforts in trailblazimg seem lacking..

The sliding door Mk3's are trailblazers - right on time with the prototype and for the future of HST sets, as are the Ruston's. 

The cost of developing CAD's and cutting tooling to cater for the almost countless differences in Class 37's (it seems no 2 are the same over the past decade) may be to too much of a risk to take on just now when they are trying to fill their coffers.  Retailing new liveries on existing tooling thats already earned its keep helps fill those coffers, and may just bring in enough for Hornby to take the risk and tool up for a definitive 37 or 47 next year.  Or maybe they feel they cant justify the outlay no matter how healthy their books may seem next year, and leave it to the new kids on the block - maybe something Accurascale will pick up depending on the success of the Deltic.

There are blue 56 and 08's out there on the 2nd hand market, and there are kits to add lights to the latter.

It does seem a bit odd though to have nothing currently available to run with them, even if they are available second hand.

According to the catalogue the Railroad Blue/Grey HST pack is available now, as is the GWR railcar.

Which is odd.

The Hornby website does list the GWR railcar as available January 2019 (which is as near as damnit "now"), but the Railroad Intercity 125 is listed on the website for September.

I must admit, the 125 is tugging at me to replace my elderly one which can be beaten in a straightline drag race by a Caly Pug!

• RMweb Gold

I see from Simon Kohler's interview in Rly Mod that the clerestories will be the more recent flat-siders. Is that also the case for the Railroad option? If yes disappointing as the older style looked good in teak (I have two) and was hoping they might get re-released sometime too?,

It's the accuracy -v- atmosphere debate again as, personal opinion, the 3D relief (even though overscale) added to the GWR versions too; the newer never look quite right as to my eyes they look like lined out steel stock not a wood panelled and beaded item.

Edited by john new