The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

5 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

So how are we going to approach race results this year. I'd love to be able to discuss the results etc of a very interesting race but will no doubt get shouted at by someone who has decided to read the thread before watching the race?

Do we hold fire for however long it takes for people to catch up or just dive straight in and tough if you decided to read before watching?

Sorry if this comes across as a bit finger pointy/moany but every year this comes up.

4 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

I would say that you should be able to comment on an event as soon as it has happened.

If you don't want spoilers, and haven't yet seen the event, then watch that before you read the thread...

I think it was last year that Ian / Olddudders changed the rules so that we could comment as soon as we knew the results.

Now because I and many others have to wait for the C4 Highlights, I / we keep off of here until after watching.

I personally don't see this as a problem.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Was it just me, or did the pause after the red lights all came on seem very, very short when compared to other starts.

I did think it was bad luck for Danny Ric, having his front wing ripped off by a bit of grass like that. Suppose he's got to get used to starting in the middle of the pack again and fighting for position off the line.

• Agree 1

Now as for the Race, well a nice result for VB and very well deserved IMHO.

Lewis controlled 2nd and will be fairly happy that it was his team mate that beat him in an equal Car, and not a Red Car, or the Red Bull.

Max drove a great Race.

Seb moaned about power, but Charles caught him quite quickly near the end, but we never heard whether he was aloud to pass if he could, or ORDERED to stay behind.

Unlucky and very Lucky for Danny R and his Renault at the start, that could have been nasty had he been flipped over.

I like the extra point for fastest lap, I think that works well.

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

It was interesting to hear the drivers asking about the fastest lap. If Lewis had better tyres he might have been able to put up a bigger challange for it. Merc had to cover off Seb's early stop however I do feel it harmed both drivers races, they'd have been better off coming in later, although hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As for the coverage, I think swapping the title music is a bad thing. i do wonder if that's something else that Sky has stipulated due to the iconic nature and assiciation of the chain with F1. Would be intereseting to know if Sky use it or not? I didn't like how they put a 'What's happening next' snippit of comemntary on the beginning of the ads. That just hits home that your watching highlights rarther then a live race. Other then that it was a shame to miss out on the techical insight we got from Karun Chandhok.

Personally, whilst the Highlights annoy me, I won't be getting Sky just for F1. I've never bothered watching Quali and I doubt I'd watch free practice either. I do however pay for WRC+ coverage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

It was interesting to hear the drivers asking about the fastest lap. If Lewis had better tyres he might have been able to put up a bigger challange for it. Merc had to cover off Seb's early stop however I do feel it harmed both drivers races, they'd have been better off coming in later, although hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As for the coverage, I think swapping the title music is a bad thing. i do wonder if that's something else that Sky has stipulated due to the iconic nature and assiciation of the chain with F1. Would be intereseting to know if Sky use it or not? I didn't like how they put a 'What's happening next' snippit of comemntary on the beginning of the ads. That just hits home that your watching highlights rarther then a live race. Other then that it was a shame to miss out on the techical insight we got from Karun Chandhok.

Personally, whilst the Highlights annoy me, I won't be getting Sky just for F1. I've never bothered watching Quali and I doubt I'd watch free practice either. I do however pay for WRC+ coverage.

Yes the title music, (if you can call that music) is awful, bring back the Chain.

Also I didn't like the; I AM, intro, it went on far to long and was pointless.

I too missed Karun's input.

I'll STILL be sticking to C4 though.

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Seb moaned about power, but Charles caught him quite quickly near the end, but we never heard whether he was aloud to pass if he could, or ORDERED to stay behind.

"Should I stay behind Sebastian? Yes or no?" asked Leclerc.

The response on team radio: "Yes, and back off to have some margin."

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Awful highlights show due to the paltry footage allowed. Felt very short changed, but no way will I pay SKY. Young Billy's OK though.

Nice to see Bottas do a Hamilton, on Hamilton!

The Honey Badger was unlucky, and really that step in the grass by the patch of pathway shouldn't be there at all.  But it's not a real racetrack....

Some overtaking apparent, on what was an impossible place to pass previously, so maybe, just maybe, the new regs work.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well there was a tempting offer for a VPN to watch the races live, 15 months for $99, but as I’m seldom able to watch live coverage - the whole race on catch-up would be nice, but highlights aren’t a bad compromise. 

So the good and not so good about C4 coverage. Overall, it remains a good package. Others have already beat me by saying they miss The Chain (save for a short excerpt on the Webber/Ricciardo feature) and Karun.  On the plus side, young Billy knows the new drivers and Stefano is welcome as, at long last, we have an insight into the Ferrari mindset - a closed book for as long as I can remember.  Watching on catch-up, the coverage had ad breaks, but few ads. Who needs/wants Sky?

As for the racing, all credit to Valtteri for a peerless drive. It would have been interesting to see the boy LeClerc released, but that’s Ferrari.  I’m tempted to think Max out-drove his car, now that the Red Bull has Honda power. A great debut for Lando (especially qualifying), shame he didn’t get in the points.

A big surprise that Stroll finished well ahead of Perez - that might cause ructions later in the season.

Sadly I don’t think Robert Kubica is going to be anywhere near his past performances - but I hope he’s given enough races to determine one way or another.

The fastest lap looks to be a great innovation. Amazing how much a single point matters to even the top drivers - which proves their hunger.  Hard to tell whether the aero changes will affect racing, but it does seem there could be more overtaking to look forward to.

And, of course, RIP Charlie. The tributes from the drivers show how well he was respected and liked.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was pretty good. Interesting that both Kubica's and Ricciardo's front wings were ripped off in their entirety, long while since that's happened from what appeared as comparatively trivial incidents.

C4 highlights were alright, did feel a bit light compared to last year, but not that bad I didn't think. I didn't feel I missed anything personally. I don't think I saw the Williamses at all, except at lap 1 when Kubica pitted and when Russell was getting out of everyone's way at turn 3.

Definitely among the better Australian races, certainly seemed that cars were able to follow more closely - the number of attempts into turn 3 suggested as much, even if only Max made it stick.

Edit: and results are fair game for discussion, don't want spoilers, stay away from the thread!

Edited by njee20
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Great to see VB win and get the fasted lap and interesting just how keen the drivers were to get it, as MV said after the race, it's an extra 21 points.

I did wonder why LH was so far behind VB but evidently he'd lost a great chunk of his floor so 2nd was probably a good result.

A very promising start for Honda in the Red Bull, I hear they haven't insisted on the ridiculous size restrictions McLaren demanded.

Ferrari, where were they and it looks like team orders are already in force from race one.

Good job Lando.

I think Kubica should probably quit now and it was a mistake for him to return although I appreciate why he wanted to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great drive from Leclerc today, it should make tomorrow interesting providing Vettel doesn't get him, (or wipe him out) at the start, the Mercs lookd a little off colour, and may even struggle to keep the flying Max at bay over the distance.

Whatever happens, it should be an interesting Race tomorrow, ALL I need to do now is to stay away from the TV / Radio / Internet until 9pm tomorrow.

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First view of F1 for 2019.

Not overly impressed by the chopped quali highlights.

And what is SV's 'tache about?

That's got even less taste than Adam Hills' new Byker Grove inspired beard.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

And what is SV's 'tache about?

That's got even less taste than Adam Hills' new Byker Grove inspired beard.

Cheers,

Mick

24 minutes ago, Hobby said:

It would be ok if it was bigger and he had eyebrows to match as per Mansell! ;) :)

Just hope he doesn't trim the two outer edges off.:D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

They are pretty dire, aren't they. All down to Sky trying to kill off free-to-air.

• Agree 7

Having seen Bahrain qualifying, but not the race, at the time of writing.

Interesting contrast between two relative rookies that have stepped up to big teams - Leclerc seems to be settling in and being close to his team mate, whereas Gasly seems to be struggling with the Red Bull.

Good to see Ferrari fast, at least in the qualifying, hopefully it won't be another season of Mercedes disappearing off into the distance, otherwise there would be even less reason to watch what is becoming a non-event.

And could someone please find a pair of long trousers for Billy Monger...

• Like 1