Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

@Edwardian what is your opinion of the two models?

Personally I went for the Dapol SECR version the livery just looked better applied and detailed, I have compared Dapols Brighton and Hornby's Leadenhall previously:
spacer.png
The front of the cab with its machine-gunned aesthetic doesn't do much for me on the Hornby versions of the Terrier - although saying that I might look at the front of Carisbrooke as thats an A1x and compare to Dapols 2644. The boiler join line on the Hornby model is also particuarly glaring once you know its there you cannot unsee it! I'm also not sure if the Improved Engine Green are two different shades or if subtle differences like the darker Hornby shaded letters, lack of bright hand rails, and less pronnouced white on the lining are making the Hornby version look darker in colour. Hornby's wheels certainly dont look the right colour compared to the bodywork or the Dapol model.

Kind Regards,
Gary

Edited by Matloughe
Correcting poor spelling.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2024 at 12:34, Matloughe said:

@Edwardian what is your opinion of the two models?

Personally I went for the Dapol SECR version the livery just looked better applied and detailed, I have compared Dapols Brighton and Hornby's Leadenhall previously:
spacer.png
The front of the cab with its machine-gunned aesthetic doesn't do much for me on the Hornby versions of the Terrier - although saying that I might look at the front of Carisbrooke as thats an A1x and compare to Dapols 2644. The boiler join line on the Hornby model is also particuarly glaring once you know its there you cannot unsee it! I'm also not sure if the Improved Engine Green are two different shades or if subtle differences like the darker Hornby shaded letters, lack of bright hand rails, and less pronnouced white on the lining are making the Hornby version look darker in colour. Hornby's wheels certainly dont look the right colour compared to the bodywork or the Dapol model.

Kind Regards,
Gary

It seemed tactless to give my views on the Hornby topic, so I didn't.

So, if you want these photographs with a candid comparison commentary, go here instead:

But since you asked .....!

Hornby's Terrier is by no means a bad model. In my view it suffers by comparison with the Rails/Dapol version, but that does not make it a bad model! There's just a better one.

In general, like you I think, Hornby's A1X seems to fare better than the A1. I am pretty familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the Rails/Dapol A1 version, having been asked to advise on the project. Some may think that makes me biased, but I have always been frank about where the Hornby model scores and the Dapol one misses, but the Rails/Dapol A1, objectively and demonstrably, is significantly more accurate in a number of areas. I also think it's demonstrably more refined, better detailed with more scale finesse. It's still not perfect, however!

That said, both manufacturers' models are, in my experience, good runners, and, cosmetically the Hornby model is by no means a bad model. It's a good model, but Rails insisted on more extensive tooling options, which allowed for a more accurate representation of A1 identities.  Hornby's A1 has a number of late condition A1X features because it did not tool for more appropriate A1 features. It's for the customer to decide whether this matters, and it probably won't for most. Hornby scored on price point on first release, so actually the difference between the two versions was sort of fair enough, and it made the Hornby model good value. Now the Hornby models seem much more expensive than they were initially, of course. 

Thus, with any given A1, e.g. SE&CR 751, it's not that I don't like the Hornby model, it's just that I've had an option that is more accurate. There are many points in relation to the Hornby model, imperfections if you like, that I can overlook. There are a couple that just bug me to the point I can't be happy with the model as a whole. That's a personal and subjective response and doubtless comes from having done so much research. I cannot unknow or unsee certain things! For me the things I just cannot get past are the (preservation era?) late condition wash out plugs and the late condition short rear tool box. They scream WRONG! to me in a way they won't for most folk. Rails/Dapol has fewer imperfections and none I cannot overlook, so...  

Other views are available!

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, RichardLong said:

For anyone who’s interested, Hornby have now corrected the livery for their forthcoming IWCR no. 10 on their website: https://uk.Hornby.com/products/iowcr-class-a1-0-6-0t-no-10-terrier-era-2-web-exclusive-r30356

IMG_8914.jpeg

That is good news and might be one I'd consider(!), given Rails never did a red island Terrier.

The exact shade of red must be conjecture, but in this view at least it looks a little darker than some have suggested. It would be good to have a contrast between the IWC's 'metallic crimson' and the darker IWR wine red. We shall have to see.

This colourised reconstruction has been put forward as the IWC shade. I prefer this. As ever, however, little if anything is certain!

image.png.1717649dc606cd6da001ff351de4110b.png 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

To be fair... I am pretty tactless 😁

But when the supplier cannot get the basic shade of livery right on an initial release (Black instead of Crimson Lake) then I also like to question them - and my email about the livery of the IoWCR Terrier went unanswered sadly; but at least they listened to someone and changed it. Although I don't think its bright enough myself for a Lake colour.

Will I order it...? I'm not sure, I used to collect Pokemon cards and the desire to 'Catch them all' is strong especially as it is the only example I am aware of in a red base livery. What puts me off quite a bit is the price point at almost £150 RRP which is significantly higher than the original release RRP without any real difference in details added to make it unique (aside from livery), effectively what we have here is a recoloured R3781 Rolvenden.

Perhaps I am being too critical - I understand that things cost more for raw materials it just feels like the Isle of Wight Central livery was just a follow on to the A1x train pack done on the cheap before it was pointed out the livery was wrong. I also love how the boiler join above the splasher has been airbrushed out on the provided image from Hornby:

11 hours ago, RichardLong said:

IMG_8914.jpeg

I'll have to reserve judgement I think. If it had been an LBSC livery I think I would have been a 'must have' especially as no-one has made an A1x in Umber correctly and that would fill a nice niche historically. But this will probably be the only Red Terrier we ever see.

Kind Regards,
Gary

• Like 2

There  is  a  detailed  painting  specification  in  existence  issued  by  the  Isle  of  Wight  Central  Railway  to  Brighton  works  for  the  painting  of  the  Terriers  purchased  by  them.  This  spec  is  far  and  above  anything  the Central  would  have  done  themselves  however  the  repaint  was  part  of  the  purchase  price.  Anything  the  Central  painted  red  themselves  was  likely  a  Red  Oxide  base  colour  with  varnish  over,  there  was  a  noted  reluctance    to  spend  money.   

Pete

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, IWCR said:

There  is  a  detailed  painting  specification  in  existence  issued  by  the  Isle  of  Wight  Central  Railway  to  Brighton  works  for  the  painting  of  the  Terriers  purchased  by  them.  This  spec  is  far  and  above  anything  the Central  would  have  done  themselves  however  the  repaint  was  part  of  the  purchase  price.  Anything  the  Central  painted  red  themselves  was  likely  a  Red  Oxide  base  colour  with  varnish  over,  there  was  a  noted  reluctance    to  spend  money.   

Pete

That accepted, Hornby's rendition up-thread looks more akin to one of the current 'sparkly-metallic' car finishes, (that resemble nail-polish)!

Certainly not varnished red-oxide.

CJI.

On 24/01/2024 at 23:41, Edwardian said:

So, if you want these photographs with a candid comparison commentary, go here instead:

But since you asked .....!

Hornby's Terrier is by no means a bad model. In my view it suffers by comparison with the Rails/Dapol version, but that does not make it a bad model! There's just a better one.

In general, like you I think, Hornby's A1X seems to fare better than the A1. I am pretty familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the Rails/Dapol A1 version, having been asked to advise on the project. Some may think that makes me biased, but I have always been frank about where the Hornby model scores and the Dapol one misses, but the Rails/Dapol A1, objectively and demonstrably, is significantly more accurate in a number of areas. I also think it's demonstrably more refined, better detailed with more scale finesse. It's still not perfect, however!

That said, both manufacturers' models are, in my experience, good runners, and, cosmetically the Hornby model is by no means a bad model. It's a good model, but Rails insisted on more extensive tooling options, which allowed for a more accurate representation of A1 identities.  Hornby's A1 has a number of late condition A1X features because it did not tool for more appropriate A1 features. It's for the customer to decide whether this matters, and it probably won't for most. Hornby scored on price point on first release, so actually the difference between the two versions was sort of fair enough, and it made the Hornby model good value. Now the Hornby models seem much more expensive than they were initially, of course. 

Thus, with any given A1, e.g. SE&CR 751, it's not that I don't like the Hornby model, it's just that I've had an option that is more accurate. There are many points in relation to the Hornby model, imperfections if you like, that I can overlook. There are a couple that just bug me to the point I can't be happy with the model as a whole. That's a personal and subjective response and doubtless comes from having done so much research. I cannot unknow or unsee certain things! For me the things I just cannot get past are the (preservation era?) late condition wash out plugs and the late condition short rear tool box. They scream WRONG! to me in a way they won't for most folk. Rails/Dapol has fewer imperfections and none I cannot overlook, so...  

Other views are available!

Ah, but you did!

143 tactless posts!

Which is over a hundred more than the next contributor. Have you thought about therapy?

Jason

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Have you thought about therapy?

Jason

Yes, I've often thought you might well benefit from it.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Funny 3

I've all 3 SECR versions. The original Hornby (ex Dapol) tooling one, the last Hornby version and the Rails/Dapol version.

The Original Hornby ex Dapol version was the cheapest  of the 3 (for obvious reasons) and the paintwork is bright! The Original Hornby ex Dapol versions were the standard shunters on the layout for the past couple of decades with 8 of them. But they are retired now with the P class taking their spot.

That said I've 6 of the new Hornby and Rails versions, split 3/3. IF ever someone does Fenchurch as an A1... 

Back to the later SECR versions, I first ordered Rails in DCC format. Later the Hornby one appeared in the bargain bins, so I brought that too as sometimes you just want to relax and let trains go round, and DC is far better for that!

Running and reliability wise, they are as good as each other. Build wise I put Rails ahead as Hornby can have bits fall off. As for accuracy, Rails is better especially the buffers.

Below pics of the SECR versions (all 3), and the KESR versions from both. Details between Bodiam (rails) and Rolverden (Hornby) and mostly due to errors on Hornby's part. Though some differences are historically correct.

Terrier_01.jpg

Terrier_02.jpg

Terrier_03.jpg

Terrier_04.jpg

Terrier_05.jpg

Terrier_06.jpg

Terrier_07.jpg

Terrier_08.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/01/2024 at 21:00, RichardLong said:

For anyone who’s interested, Hornby have now corrected the livery for their forthcoming IWCR no. 10 on their website: https://uk.Hornby.com/products/iowcr-class-a1-0-6-0t-no-10-terrier-era-2-web-exclusive-r30356

IMG_8914.jpeg

Has anyone else experienced problems trying to pre-order one of these ?

I've tried twice now to checkout using the guest option, all is Ok except for the address section which will only allow me to enter a (max) 10 characters and seems to be asking / allowing only for a postcode of which mine comes only to 8 characters ... this then becomes a problem when trying to move to the next checkout page saying that the address section is not valid.

This is the first time that I've tried to use the Hornby site to buy anything so it may be something that I'm not understanding ... but what have others found, please ?

Regards,

Ian.

On 28/01/2024 at 21:05, 03060 said:

Has anyone else experienced problems trying to pre-order one of these ?

I just preordered no. 10 successfully, though have been registered on the site for a while. Maybe register first then preorder?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2024 at 22:02, sleepyrider said:

I just preordered no. 10 successfully, though have been registered on the site for a while. Maybe register first then preorder?

Many thanks @sleepyrider, now pre-ordered without issue once I had created an account and even allowed me to use my newly given reward points !

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1