The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2020 at 20:21, big jim said:

the wheels on redgates car are flipping gorgeous, those in black on my mini would look great but I’d have to change the brakes for some big calliper brembo’s for the full visual (and stopping) effect, it’s actually an easy mod in the mini as the JCW cars have bigger brakes but it’s the cost! 

Cheers Jim - Bola B1's :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was suggested on the old cars thread that I put some photos of the Fiat Coupe I ran for a few years in this thread. So here they are.

It is a 1998 2.0L 20V n/a model and these pictures were taken on the evening we prepared it for an Italian car show and the following day at the show. I put the tricolore stripe on it to cover an unslightly scratch on the bonnet which had been badly touched in by a previous owner.

While I had it I had the gearbox rebuilt, put on a sports exhaust, chipped the ECU, replaced a various worn out mechanicals and generally had a great time driving it. It still needed quite a lot of niggly jobs done when something in the drivetrain went pop and my wife called time on my midlife crisis.

It was nick named Big Bird and I wish I still had it.

IMG_20160527_215429.jpg

IMG_20160527_215448.jpg

IMG_20160527_215503.jpg

IMG_20160528_121215.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For the money they go for now they are a good car, gutted to have had to get rid of mine after 4 years but it was starting to cost money with major bits going such as the drive shaft and  injectors

its been sold to a college for the students to practice basic mechanics and bodywork on and they intend to get it through its MOT and sell it on for a profit 

Enjoying its replacement though, the Touareg, no go in it at all, 2.5 diesel, even with the superchip bluefin running its so slow off the mark compared to the Murano, nice and comfy though 

• Like 1

Nice Griff.

I took mine out of the garage today for a proper, pre season polish (I think the modern phrase is detailed!) but given our current restrictions it went straight back in after I’d finished. I can wait another couple of weeks or so before we go for a drive.

67081BDC-159A-40FE-939E-CEBCC41C16B9.jpeg

121CD37C-140E-427C-8907-86B577568526.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paperlad said:

Nice Griff.

I took mine out of the garage today for a proper, pre season polish (I think the modern phrase is detailed!) but given our current restrictions it went straight back in after I’d finished. I can wait another couple of weeks or so before we go for a drive.

67081BDC-159A-40FE-939E-CEBCC41C16B9.jpeg

121CD37C-140E-427C-8907-86B577568526.jpeg

It managed to get to the top of the drive without breaking down then? 

(im just jealous, I’ve always wanted a TVR Griffith)

notice it’s got a Cheshire number plate too, was it originally from graham Walker in Chester? 

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 13:52, StevieD71 said:

<snip>

It was nick named Big Bird and I wish I still had it

IMG_20160527_215429.jpg

</snip>

I had a 1996 Broom Yellow 16v N/A. It let me down several times because of electrical problems that meant the Ride of Shame on a recovery truck, but they were easy fixes so soon back on the road again. Despite it being the lowest powered variant, I still loved it and had tons of fun with it (even deliberately going by shop windows to see its reflection... :rolleyes:).

It was called 'The Custard Tart' by the Philistines at work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big jim said:

It managed to get to the top of the drive without breaking down then? 

(im just jealous, I’ve always wanted a TVR Griffith)

notice it’s got a Cheshire number plate too, was it originally from graham Walker in Chester? 

Just for clarity it’s a Chimaera 400, in the TVR world it’s the one for the softies!

It was first registered in Northwich so you’re bang on with Cheshire:good_mini:. I’ve had it just over two years but it’s got a full service history (and every MOT) since new. Only 47000 miles after almost 21 years.

It’s always a pleasant surprise when it starts but if I’m honest (and not wishing to totally destroy the image) other than an old, flat battery, it’s not broken down whilst in my ownership...yet:rolleyes:.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MJI said:

What power is the 400?

240 bhp......but I guess that’s diminished with age, however, it still scares me sometimes. Fortunately, and bearing in mind my agricultural driving style, TVR were very good at making a fine chassis and a car with good handling...but don’t be heavy with the loud pedal when the roads are wet or slippery!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paperlad said:

Just for clarity it’s a Chimaera 400

I could see from the badge it was a chimaera but couldn’t get it down in words that I want a griffith without it looking like I thought yours was one! 

240bhp, rear wheel drive, I’d have that in a hedge in about 30 seconds

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Paperlad said:

240 bhp......but I guess that’s diminished with age, however, it still scares me sometimes. Fortunately, and bearing in mind my agricultural driving style, TVR were very good at making a fine chassis and a car with good handling...but don’t be heavy with the loud pedal when the roads are wet or slippery!

Pretty grunty then!

The same engine is the petrol option in my car, but a lower state of tune (180), (and exceeded by a lot of the Diesels when remapped, some are over 200, mine is about 170)

Just thought of an evil plan, a Diesel TVR:D

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Just thought of an evil plan, a Diesel TVR:D

Some people need medical help:D.

I bought a diesel as my daily user and seriously dislike it! It’s the first diesel I’ve owned and I bought it for the better fuel consumption thinking that I’d get used to the diesel rattle, how wrong I was. And don’t get me started on the supposed merits of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that it’s fitted with. The rest of it is nice tho (Volvo S90) it’s just the awful noise it makes:mda:.

PL.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Paperlad said:

Some people need medical help:D.

I bought a diesel as my daily user and seriously dislike it! It’s the first diesel I’ve owned and I bought it for the better fuel consumption thinking that I’d get used to the diesel rattle, how wrong I was. And don’t get me started on the supposed merits of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that it’s fitted with. The rest of it is nice tho (Volvo S90) it’s just the awful noise it makes:mda:.

PL.

The Touareg I bought is a diesel, first one for for a while, compared to the petrol Murano’s 240ish BHP it’s soooo slow off the mark but cruises lovely, without its Superchip bluefin activated its 175bhp, with it 207 but I really can’t see or feel any difference in economy or performance

The bluefin’s I have on the mini’s have transformed them into totally different cars, the mini one has gone from 90 to 130 Bhp and the cooper s 167 to 218 bhp, although that should be nearer the 230-240 mark soon with its new exhaust, pulley, injectors and remap (once travel restrictions are lifted so I can get it done in Cambridgeshire)

• Like 1