Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

On 08/10/2022 at 11:22, stovepipe said:

Early to mid-1960s for HAA wagons? Or do you mean a later period?

I've only ever seen photos from the 1970s, such as these

Dartford Duo

Odd Couple

Northfleet coal train passing Dartford

Great photos - I'm a bit late to party with this but just for info Dartford Signalbox (behind the train in the last photo also showing my office window for 3 years in the late 90's too) was commissioned in September (?) 1970. These trains were ISTR worked on the LMR by the Peak and the 47 attached at Brent to work onward over the SR crewed by Hither Green (who were trained for 47's). It was the rear wagon of one of these MGR's that derailed in 1977 on a set of catch-points at Mottingham that then derailed a loaded cement train heading in the opposite direction hauled by 33036 & 33045 (?) that resulted in 33036's scrapping.

I took a lot of pictures from that window and also from the top of the concrete lamp standard just to the R of the 47 in the 1st picture - sadly the box has also now gone the way of the longbow and the cutllass too ..................................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see in HM197, that Mike Wild has managed to get an EM1 speaker into the latest Heljan 45. Quite a bit of cutting needed, but looking forward to the sound demo when it comes out.

I did a speaker fit using a Rail Exclusive 'Boom Box', = 40 X 20 X 10mm. Sounds excellent, and no cutting needed.

The speaker has to be positioned / cantilevered to miss the bottom of an exhaust port (on the inside of the roof) , and this speaker will fit between the body / chassis fixing lugs. Also fit enough black tack under speaker at the outboard end to lift it clear of the gear assembly.

Sound by DCKits

DSC08330.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have the TMC limited edition D12 with nose end doors and split box headcodes. It looks great but I need to change the headcode characters to reflect the operation of the Waverley between Leeds and Edinburgh. 

Not wishing to damage the model, has anyone got experience or advice to share on making a good job of this. How to remove / open the headcode boxes and which product to use to replace the characters. 

Thank you 

Edited by coronach

• RMweb Premium
On 07/10/2023 at 13:16, zr2498 said:

I did a speaker fit using a Rail Exclusive 'Boom Box', = 40 X 20 X 10mm. Sounds excellent, and no cutting needed.

The speaker has to be positioned / cantilevered to miss the bottom of an exhaust port (on the inside of the roof) , and this speaker will fit between the body / chassis fixing lugs. Also fit enough black tack under speaker at the outboard end to lift it clear of the gear assembly.

I think your speaker will sound much better than an EM1. EM1s, in my experience, have a decent amount of bass but are generally very 'muddy' and also tend to vibrate a lot, which can set up unwanted resonance (and distortion) through the body shell. I've always found those Rail Exclusive dual speakers to be excellent.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Solo said:

I think your speaker will sound much better than an EM1. EM1s, in my experience, have a decent amount of bass but are generally very 'muddy' and also tend to vibrate a lot, which can set up unwanted resonance (and distortion) through the body shell. I've always found those Rail Exclusive dual speakers to be excellent.

Agreed @Solo The Rail Exclusive speakers are excellent. I try to get the bigger 'chunky' 55mm long in when possible, but the 40mm is still good. These are impressive with steam as well, and just about to start install one of those into Hornby 9F Tyne Dock + stay alive + DCC control of the firebox flicker.

The EM1 or Accurathrash is good for the base range, and seems to work well when coupled with the higher frequency cube speaker in ACC diesels. Lowering the volume (which is still pretty loud) with the ACC diesels overcomes the occasional resonance.

• 4 months later...

Just had the body off on D12 to lubricate the bogie pivots - the squeek was driving me mad! So took the opportunity to unplug the cab lights. Don't have to chase it round after every stop with the wand now.

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...