Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

47 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

Some class 25s and 40s had a circular blanking plate on the nose ends from royal train duty to facilitate a radio communication wire from the train to the cab. See link below

Royal Trains

I don't recall a class 45 being used on Royal duty, however.

I've seen at least one picture of a very clean class 45 complete with white rim wheels and silvered buffers ready for Royal Train duty. The communication cable is in place and wrapped around the RThand lamp bracket, picture was taken at Toton and was in the marker light era.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t want to add to any woes, but are those roof hatches on the model rather thick and over pronounced ?

I don't think they are personally, I must admit to thinking that it's a really nice model and I'm very pleased with my 45133

T-T

Capture45133.JPG

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

And this one - 45143.

'Twin Peaks' meets 'The Archers'

Well I never. Question answered and confusion gone.

Thanks chaps.

Bob

Edit: Mind you, the hole in the model is on the other side to these examples but I'm satisfied.

Edited by RBAGE
Additional text.

I can't repost Flickr images onto here(copy and paste issue)however a quick search for D64 or 45045 shows the nose end as normal,  no small hole. I've checked all my class 45 book collection as well as Rail-Online, nothing. So why it appears on the Heljan model is a mystery! It's very clear on the Rails of Sheffield images. Just checked and it's present on all versions with that headcode variation in green as well!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, w124bob said:

I can't repost Flickr images onto here(copy and paste issue)however a quick search for D64 or 45045 shows the nose end as normal,  no small hole. I've checked all my class 45 book collection as well as Rail-Online, nothing. So why it appears on the Heljan model is a mystery! It's very clear on the Rails of Sheffield images. Just checked and it's present on all versions with that headcode variation in green as well!

The plot thickens.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

The Modelu early peak crew have booked on today …. Saltley Seagulls Dave the driver and Secondman Sid certainly look the part in D15 ….. 

11F8A4F7-C684-4880-852F-B34DC773AEC2.jpeg.9037d79379d0e0e4477065433128220a.jpeg

No fags, no tea! The stove is just between the secondmans seat and the access door to the nose and had a large fold down lid (blocked the nose door when down). So with the stove cover on the brew can would be by the 2nd mans RT shoulder as seen through the middle window.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, w124bob said:

No fags, no tea! The stove is just between the secondmans seat and the access door to the nose and had a large fold down lid (blocked the nose door when down). So with the stove cover on the brew can would be by the 2nd mans RT shoulder as seen through the middle window.

Ah that’s what it is! 

379B10AE-2D1B-4E9E-914D-2B46DA9EA083.jpeg.888ab4d44cb621cfb024d0b807001789.jpeg

Dave the driver is a confirmed non smoker, woe betide any second man who lights up in his cab. He’s such a fresh air fiend he even has his drivers side window open at 80 mph… 😀

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

This is the best I can find at the moment, its a still from a SIM but gives a good view of the stove lid. Class 40's had a hot plate on the floor just where the 2nd man would rest his left foot, Doc Martens can melt!

matthew-price-class45-dtg-tsw-003.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah that’s what it is! 

379B10AE-2D1B-4E9E-914D-2B46DA9EA083.jpeg.888ab4d44cb621cfb024d0b807001789.jpeg

Dave the driver is a confirmed non smoker, woe betide any second man who lights up in his cab. He’s such a fresh air fiend he even has his drivers side window open at 80 mph… 😀

And Sid is pawing through the Sporting Life for the runners and riders at the Gold Cup.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 16/10/2022 at 19:38, lincolnshiremodeller said:

Nice work there. For me the correct shade of BR Blue is very subjective not helped by the prototypes often being filthy or bleached. By contrast I have a Bachmann 45 which I think has a shade of blue which in my opinion is far too turquoise. It's certainly far lighter than the shade of blue on my Bachmann 47 or mk2 coaching stock.

BR Blue is indeed subjective - for me the Bachmann shade is absolutely spot on for fresh BR Blue in sunlight - everyone else misses that turquoise effect where it really popped. I guess the problem is that faded/weathered quickly loses that effect, but unless the model is factory weathered I genuinely want an ex-works base and Bachmann does it for me.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, RBAGE said:

And Sid is pawing through the Sporting Life for the runners and riders at the Gold Cup.

Ah no… Dave is Chair of Saltley Mutual Improvement Class,  and Sid has his drivers exam next week. He dare not be seen reading anything other than rules and regs…. he has to get past the inscrutable Inspector Inglis, and Sid knows he will be twice as tough once he realises Saltley’s infamous Stan “Stacker” Steadman is his uncle…. 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Funny 2

Well back in 1983 I was that "Sid" so he's probably checking out page 3(sub section 3 clause 2 of cause)!Mind you half of my drivers back then had never got past the 1955 rule book, "In fog and falling snow, in the cabin we shall go".

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Just been watching some of the reviews that have appeared on YT over the last few days, which have afforded some closer views. Sadly the list of mistakes keeps rising - new ones spotted are nameplates fixed too high on D65 (Rails LE), and on all models, the sloping angle of the small grille/panel on the lower bodyside is different than the angle of the bodyside framing behind the long grille - which makes no sense at all when you think about it, or if you have seen photos of them being constructed. It seems no-one had a really critical look over a Peak before signing the CAD off.

The model does have some nice features though, compared to the alternative - but it just isn't screaming 'buy me', more's the pity.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Woowooo437 said:

What sound decoder and sound file/supplier are you guys using in your Heljan Peaks?  

Thanks in advance. 

Loksound and Howes for me … twin IPhone speaker, must be good as the boss was complaining about the noise. The lights have worked well too, directional front lights on F0, independent tail lights on F16/17 and independent cab lights on F18/19.

Yet to fully test driving characteristics but sound is well synchronised when moving off.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Additional info
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

It’ll be Biffo’s in both of mine I think 

Likewise in all my Bachmann Peaks, with a double iphone speaker from Road & Rails (no connection).

As for the Heljan Peak, it is a miss for me and my conversion of a Bachmann 45/0 to a 45/1 continues. A real pity as I had hoped they would get this one right. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah no… Dave is Chair of Saltley Mutual Improvement Class,  and Sid has his drivers exam next week. He dare not be seen reading anything other than rules and regs…. he has to get past the inscrutable Inspector Inglis, and Sid knows he will be twice as tough once he realises Saltley’s infamous Stan “Stacker” Steadman is his uncle…. 

Looks like the Sporting Life to me. You don't get rule books with pages that big. Unless he's looking at the rule book centre fold. I poster size photograph of the controls of Kestrel, with a red hot cuppa, waiting to be supped. Eee! I'd want for nowt else. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, Woowooo437 said:

What sound decoder and sound file/supplier are you guys using in your Heljan Peaks?  

Thanks in advance. 

V5 with Biffo, EM1 with a pair of 20x20s if I can cram it all in. I managed this in an EFE 58 so it should be doable in the much roomier 45, it just depends whether the sound project agrees with this setup. Some do, some don't.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2022 at 09:05, McC said:

it has the only size wheels that allow a loco of its profile to run on radius 2 OO track unfortunately. All modeling is a compromise:) If you have large sweeping curves you can swap in our 37 wheelsets. 

What do you call 'large sweeping curves"?  I would buy class 37 wheelsets if they would be ok on a Deltic on 2ft radius.  My minimum is 2ft 6in but I'm playing safe by saying 2ft.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

What do you call 'large sweeping curves"?  I would buy class 37 wheelsets if they would be ok on a Deltic on 2ft radius.  My minimum is 2ft 6in but I'm playing safe by saying 2ft.

Swapping in the scale wheels from the 37 pack is certainly possible, but you will also raise the ride height, which may require additional surgery. Honestly, the wheels supplied are the 'ideal' compromise.

• Like 2