Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Swapping in the scale wheels from the 37 pack is certainly possible, but you will also raise the ride height, which may require additional surgery. Honestly, the wheels supplied are the 'ideal' compromise.

To be honest, I don’t notice the size of wheels on the Deltic. It still captures the look and the stance of the real thing.

• Agree 4

On 09/10/2022 at 10:17, adb968008 said:

I’m looking at it again this morning, at those axleboxes..9209AD8C-8DF9-4276-97E4-8AE8DA091B47.jpeg.5e8ef78fd522a704674dd000d6c9dd22.jpeg

i’m not sure if i’m being hasty here… but when comparing all 3, Bachmanns original class 46 is closer to Heljans in size.

Heljans 45/1 size is 6.10mm axlebox, and an axlebox cover diameter of 4.75mm

Bachmann 45/0 is 5.67mm axlebox, and an axlebox cover diameter of 3.45mm

Bachmann 1990’s 46 is 5.36mm axlebox, and an axlebox cover diameter of 3.6mm

it wouldnt stand out so much if all three were close but theres 1.3mm ( 4.5 scale inches) difference between the three.

does anyone know the correct size of a class 45 Timken Axlebox cover ? - ive one offer of 11inches off a 37  that would put Bachmanns 1990’s axlebox as the winner.. but if anyone has the correct size ?

What about the depth of the axleboxes and springs? The Bachmann ones are way too shallow to represent the real thing. The original Mainline ones were better in that regard.

Chris

So I bought a Heljan Peak, and to be honest I am not that impressed. Apart from the shape it's the running for me it just doesn't seem to run as  smooth as my Bachmann ones. I put a rails decoder in mine I am just wondering what others have used.

Cheers Peter.

6 hours ago, Chris Higgs said:

What about the depth of the axleboxes and springs? The Bachmann ones are way too shallow to represent the real thing. The original Mainline ones were better in that regard.

Chris

And looking at photos of the real thing

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brclass45/hbe0eab79#hbe0eab79  (also look at the others in the same collection)

it is a minefield to get the combination of axlebox covers right.

Chris

18 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Anyone tried fitting sound to one?

loads of room to get anything from iPhone speakers right up to an EM1 with a bit of clearancing to refit the body screws either side. Very easy one to sound fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very much liking this model - just got to decide which yet. Not sure if it has been mentioned before, apologies if it has but does anyone know if the green handles in the yellow panel and yellow handles in green on D57 are correct ? I’ve been looking through prototype images and have yet to find one painted like this. It was the only question that kept my card in my pocket on Saturday to be honest!

6009914F-56D1-4B8F-AEA0-1117F0CF1AD6.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Very much liking this model - just got to decide which yet. Not sure if it has been mentioned before, apologies if it has but does anyone know if the green handles in the yellow panel and yellow handles in green on D57 are correct ? I’ve been looking through prototype images and have yet to find one painted like this. It was the only question that kept my card in my pocket on Saturday to be honest!

Green handles on yellow and yellow handles on green looks very wrong to me.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The comments on that photo are worth a read too, particularly for this website which I wasn't aware of before

https://peakdieselarchive.co.uk/first-to-last-liveries

And from this website it appears only D50-57, built at Crewe, had the grab rails painted yellow, which they entered service with.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, ColinK said:

Anyone tried fitting sound to one?

Yes, Legomanbiffo's custom made one for the Heljan 45 with an EM1 speaker. Two little cutaways were required on the speaker in order for it to fit. The speaker being only half a watt does sound a lot softer than I like (old chap, hearing aid, tinnitus etc!) so I'll try it with other speakers and see (well, hear) if they're any louder. Lovely loco, great joy!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

The comments on that photo are worth a read too, particularly for this website which I wasn't aware of before

https://peakdieselarchive.co.uk/first-to-last-liveries

Thanks for that photo and the fascinating link.  Everyday is truly a school day! Got to love RMWEB for providing the forum to ask these niche questions  - worth every penny of my membership :)

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

apparently it is correct, I asked already if it had been assembled correctly ;)

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edna Clouds said:

Yes, Legomanbiffo's custom made one for the Heljan 45 with an EM1 speaker. Two little cutaways were required on the speaker in order for it to fit. The speaker being only half a watt does sound a lot softer than I like (old chap, hearing aid, tinnitus etc!) so I'll try it with other speakers and see (well, hear) if they're any louder. Lovely loco, great joy!

Twin iPhone speaker initiated immediate complaints from SWMBO here…. A straight drop in no surgery needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just watched a YouTube video review of the Heljan Peak by "Dean Park Model Railway" which, despite my usually avoiding such videos like the plague (opinions, like backsides, are something everyone has and often give out a load of tom tit), and I have to say it was actually mature, well balanced and quite informative.  I can see now why for some the cab windows are an issue, but overall, it hasn't put me off, as I doubt I will be parking a Bachmann 45 next to a Heljan 45 which does show the issue more clearly.  I felt the review was fair, balanced, pointing out flaws and finish problems but putting them into a context.  Even if, like me you avoid YouTube reviews this one, I would suggest, is worth a look as it is very informative and shows off the running capabilities nicely.  Nicely done Mr Dean Park!

I would still want to get both a Bachmann and a Heljan model but whereas Bachmann have produced a 1975 condition "Sherwood Forester" my other "war memorial" 45 is a bit more problematical.  "Staffordshire Regiment" famously ran with asymmetric nose ends from 1969 onwards after a prang, but in sealed-beam condition was withdrawn by 1986 after another crash.  So, I await Heljan releasing a split-box headcode with no connecting doors version I can rename and number to "Staffordshire Regiment" for the 1968 fleet, although then I have a further dilemma as to whether it should be "Toton" blue or full rail blue as the loco was repainted out of the one into the other in 1968, only for it to then get the nose job six months later!

• Like 3

On 24/10/2022 at 11:32, Zunnan said:

loads of room to get anything from iPhone speakers right up to an EM1 with a bit of clearancing to refit the body screws either side. Very easy one to sound fit.

HI

There is plenty of room for a decent sized speaker. I used this. There's also some good fitting videos on you-tube. Screenshot_20221022_044326.jpg.2e9f24d538f9b86e3a0e430e8ebb2e5c.jpg

I had one of the limited edition models arrive last week. It has already been returned. 
As well as the sluggish and growly motor (even after a period of running in and wheel clean) and non-functioning cab lights, mine was also missing a number of the solebar pipe stubs/fins at each end. As they were not in the box I assume they were broken off in the factory. 
The attached photos even show one missing in the Hornby magazine review. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Needless to say with all the other faults/inaccuracies I have cancelled my other order and will be asking for a refund/credit for the returned one. 

There really is no excuse for a model as poor as this these days. 

DFDDBABC-1995-4461-BE8D-84EB08EE70EE.jpeg

866B0774-9862-450E-8DBC-650E1F1A524E.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, westonp said:

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have two of the TMC special editions.  Both have all the five pointy gubbins extending downward without damage, that is eight total sets of gubbins between the two.  They seem fine on the rolling road and are fine switching at home.  They haven't stretched their legs at the club yet, but nothing seems amiss at this point.  It also isn't a surprise regarding the roof profile, it wasn't like we were not forewarned, the early photos demonstrated that aspect.

What I find amusing / annoying, is the four, six bolt access panels under each cab window.  They seem to function as builders plates on the number 2 end.  How does that happen?  Crewe and Derby plates had four, not six bolts on the plates and they should be under the drivers side window only.  A direct copy of the O gauge models, did not the O gauge crowd complain?  Don't answer that, I suspect they aren't as discerning  as the double O crowd (runs for cover).

My pair seem fit for purpose, but I feel your pain if you got a growly motor.  That part is unacceptable.  The rest, well you vote with your wallet...

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

did not the O gauge crowd complain?  Don't answer that, I suspect they aren't as discerning  as the double O crowd (runs for cover).

This was actually raised but, joking aside, generally speaking, whilst 7mm stuff gets just as raked over in advance, for some reason there tends to be very little comment when things come out. Can actually be frustrating trying to establish what you are buying especially when many retailers just use old pre-production photos.

Anyway my theory for the lack of chat is 7mm guys actually do some modelling as opposed to just wafflng about it.

:)

Well my 45133 has become 45126, chosen because of it's general circa 1983 condition and a couple of minor livery oddities. It carried it's pre TOPS 32 number on one side and at the same end had a small faded sticker between the marker lights. In 1982/3 it also heavy weathering, particularly under the grills. Ran very well straight from the box, I blanked out the tail lights with black card and disconnected the cab lights, it will remain DC for use on MMRS Dewsbury Midland.

45126 pic3.jpg

45126 pic2.jpg

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Well my 45133 has become 45126, chosen because of it's general circa 1983 condition and a couple of minor livery oddities. It carried it's pre TOPS 32 number on one side and at the same end had a small faded sticker between the marker lights. In 1982/3 it also heavy weathering, particularly under the grills. Ran very well straight from the box, I blanked out the tail lights with black card and disconnected the cab lights, it will remain DC for use on MMRS Dewsbury Midland.

45126 pic3.jpg

45126 pic2.jpg

Weathering followed my usual dirty acrylic black/brown mix and weathering powders, after a spray of Dulcote I added more fading under the grills by dry brushing artists oils, driver is a HO truck driver from Noch. Once I'd finished all this I added some lighter blue over parts of the body. It's still dark next to a Bachmann class45/0 but if you want a 45/1 this is the only RTR option. Final picture was taken on Dewsbury Midland under poorer lights.

45126 pic7.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 6