Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2022 at 12:55, tinsley-toton said:

A few more Peak variants are to be released including:

45055 45104 45110 (With white stripe) 45144 45032 97409 and D50 in BR blue

D63 with small yellow panel in green

T-T

They are going for it with these so plainly successful. Perhaps a few of the minor glitches eg works plate position can be sorted for the next batch…

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

They are going for it with these so plainly successful. Perhaps a few of the minor glitches eg works plate position can be sorted for the next batch…

Looking positive for some class 44 action as well 🤞

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Some standard split-box Peaks might be a better bet first. Or maybe TMC have an exclusivity period for their special editions?

TMC split box tooling covers the D11-15 batch …. Plenty of others should be available 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

Indeed, but none yet announced, which does beg the question 'Why not?'

Where to start?

Design team capacity, production slot availability, finance?

Just because a sector of the market wants it NOW isn't a commercial reason to comply!

CJI.

• Agree 4

18 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Indeed, but none yet announced, which does beg the question 'Why not?'

Thanks for your interest. We're genuinely delighted that you want more Peaks ASAP. As alluded to above, there are a couple of reasons we haven't announced more versions of the Class 44-46 models yet. Firstly, the initial batch was (by modern standards) a large production run including a number of retailer exclusives. Although the response has been amazing and they sold out from our warehouse very quickly, we don't want to overwhelm retailers or customers by immediately flooding the market with more. 

With regard to split headcode locos, TMC doesn't have an 'exclusivity' agreement but we want to ensure that it sells through its batch of D11-D15 models before we announce a standard split headcode version. Announcing them too soon could affect TMC's sales and we want to be fair and decent to them as they placed a lot of faith in us by ordering a large batch of all-new models straight off the drawing board. All the work for the standard split headcode locos is done, it's just waiting for us to 'push the button'. 

Class 44 requires a bit more work, but as I said to several people at the NEC last weekend it is high on our 'to do' list. 

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Thanks for your interest. We're genuinely delighted that you want more Peaks ASAP. As alluded to above, there are a couple of reasons we haven't announced more versions of the Class 44-46 models yet. Firstly, the initial batch was (by modern standards) a large production run including a number of retailer exclusives. Although the response has been amazing and they sold out from our warehouse very quickly, we don't want to overwhelm retailers or customers by immediately flooding the market with more. 

With regard to split headcode locos, TMC doesn't have an 'exclusivity' agreement but we want to ensure that it sells through its batch of D11-D15 models before we announce a standard split headcode version. Announcing them too soon could affect TMC's sales and we want to be fair and decent to them as they placed a lot of faith in us by ordering a large batch of all-new models straight off the drawing board. All the work for the standard split headcode locos is done, it's just waiting for us to 'push the button'. 

Class 44 requires a bit more work, but as I said to several people at the NEC last weekend it is high on our 'to do' list. 

Great talking to you Ben and really impressed at the amount of activity going on with Heljan that was on display.

My ask, is if the next blue peaks (indeed blue anything), could match the Newton Chambers on display… a tad lighter than the BR Precision Blue used on the current 45’s.

its an interesting one, Precision BR blue, Ive used it 30 odd years ago and its consistent colour still used today.

However 30 years ago it was mostly used on thin yellow Lima plastic, which lightened the appearance somewhat. On thicker, darker plastic it seems to hold that shade and makes it darker than BR Blues than I am used to seeing on other models.

The Newton chambers looked a very nice blue to me.

FF5AA73A-65FA-4843-93F4-275EA1DA1439.jpeg.7a70e9056a4ce09fd1343acef7fa0bca.jpeg

Not sure what everyone thinks ?

Here is the NT and the 25, on the stand at Warley (its the same photo just cropped) to put context closer, so in this case exposure / shadows should be the same..

1D87A404-793A-4E64-9EBB-7C4FDF3DC077.jpeg.95988a1ec7cc01f285f6836a9e5fabdb.jpeg

Above NT, below 25…
A3328B93-210D-49F8-A594-6C6FAE1EF480.jpeg.b45cb605595e5437aac60c5e4c1f564e.jpeg

now Ive put (in top to bottom order) Bachmann 24, Heljan 27 and Heljan 45, Heljan 25..

3D0C6F10-7FC8-4DEA-83FC-B5C59640437D.jpeg.a5041bc731351bdba19af0580fa483f7.jpeg

Whilst the blue is darker on the 45, imo its the 27 thats the outlier..

58E64D6F-8E51-462B-844F-97AE171E3A30.jpeg.70be8922f869c008c418d08e3c1393c2.jpeg

But something makes the 45 look darker, against the 24/25 which look ok to me, and look ok on the NT going on the above pictures.

Perhaps its the Grey/Yellows misguiding the eye, or is the 45 more matt and less reflective / absorbant  ?

Thoughts ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Thanks Ben, I suspected the TMC LEs were a factor for the general split headcode examples, and it is entirely fair and reasonable of you to give them chance to sell through. I shall bide my time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Great talking to you Ben and really impressed at the amount of activity going on with Heljan that was on display.

My ask, is if the next blue peaks (indeed blue anything), could match the Newton Chambers on display… a tad lighter than the BR Precision Blue used on the current 45’s.

its an interesting one, Precision BR blue, Ive used it 30 odd years ago and its consistent colour still used today.

However 30 years ago it was mostly used on thin yellow Lima plastic, which lightened the appearance somewhat. On thicker, darker plastic it seems to hold that shade and makes it darker than BR Blues than I am used to seeing on other models.

The Newton chambers looked a very nice blue to me.

FF5AA73A-65FA-4843-93F4-275EA1DA1439.jpeg.7a70e9056a4ce09fd1343acef7fa0bca.jpeg

Not sure what everyone thinks ?

Here is the NT and the 25, on the stand at Warley (its the same photo just cropped) to put context closer, so in this case exposure / shadows should be the same..

1D87A404-793A-4E64-9EBB-7C4FDF3DC077.jpeg.95988a1ec7cc01f285f6836a9e5fabdb.jpeg

Above NT, below 25…
A3328B93-210D-49F8-A594-6C6FAE1EF480.jpeg.b45cb605595e5437aac60c5e4c1f564e.jpeg

now Ive put (in top to bottom order) Bachmann 24, Heljan 27 and Heljan 45, Heljan 25..

3D0C6F10-7FC8-4DEA-83FC-B5C59640437D.jpeg.a5041bc731351bdba19af0580fa483f7.jpeg

Whilst the blue is darker on the 45, imo its the 27 thats the outlier..

58E64D6F-8E51-462B-844F-97AE171E3A30.jpeg.70be8922f869c008c418d08e3c1393c2.jpeg

But something makes the 45 look darker, against the 24/25 which look ok to me, and look ok on the NT going on the above pictures.

Perhaps its the Grey/Yellows misguiding the eye, or is the 45 more matt and less reflective / absorbant  ?

Thoughts ?

Some while ago someone posted a photo of a new green and blue Peak alongside each other to illustrate the difference in appearance of the framing behind the square frost grills, the green ones being much more noticeable. Looking at your photos, these two factors do make me wonder if the colour difference you demonstate in your photos is down at least in part to the paint application. Perhaps there’s thicker blue paint on the Peak which makes it look darker and flatter/matt?

Yes the Class 27 does look more noticeably different but I like the colour on my 27104 from the same batch.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2022 at 01:28, Peanut89 said:

I've got 4 in total, although the last one this evening will be going back as it is jerky and doesn't seem to like any decoder I try (maybe a PCB issue?)

Has anyone experienced the same as attached with the tails still illuminating? I think this is light seepage rather than actual illuminating properly, as they're much brighter once the appropriate function is pressed.

Cheers

20221112_011426.jpg

I purchased one of the other split headcode models (D11) from TMC, it had the same problem. However, with the body off it can easily be resolved as follows:

Remove the internal cab seating / control panel section by removing the two very small screws that secure it to the chassis

This will expose the wiring running to the lighting which you will need to ease out of the way to access the screw which holds the lighting panel in place

The lighting panel can then be lifted upwards away from the chassis (this will expose the two lugs that help keep it in position)

There is a black panel held in place by two clips over the front of the lighting LED array - ease this panel off

Turn the panel over and you will see there is a gap beside each of the clips, this is where the light is bleeding through

I filled both gaps with a very small amount of black tack to each

Once reassembled, tested to find no more light bleeding through to the tail light lens

Even though I resolved this problem I remain disappointed with the way the light penetrates through the black section of the headcode blinds, as clearly illustrated in your photo. Not yet decided as to how I’m going to resolve that particular issue!

Edited by Soul Survivor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 14:21, adb968008 said:

Thoughts ?

What kind of lighting was above the four models? "Ordinary" indoor lighting might give all kinds of strange results. Photo studios and print design offices try to use colour-calibrated lighting to minimise the effects.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

What kind of lighting was above the four models? "Ordinary" indoor lighting might give all kinds of strange results. Photo studios and print design offices try to use colour-calibrated lighting to minimise the effects.

Top photos were at Warley.

The “4” were in front of my office window (the shadow actually crosses them).

the common denominator is the 25… its a prod model in my office, and a similar one in the warley picture.

Here is a Bachmann and Heljan 45 compared (which is what many people may do).

3C1F07FD-87AB-4AF7-ACF3-47D5551B9536.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Just noticed the Rails exclusive D65 Grenadier Guardsman hasn’t got a BR crest on either side. Not an expert on Sulzers but yet to see a photo of one like this - anyone know if it’s correct to prototype? 

9E783C28-A121-4E2B-A08C-BDAC4979E739.jpeg

It has them here:

https://railphotoprints.uk/p968868046/h5E00E8D8#h5e00e8d8

Well, i thought it did the first look, not sure now!

Transport library has a 1968 photo clearly showing grey stripe and totem.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2023 at 17:44, MikeParkin65 said:

TMC split headcode versions now £152 with free postage which I think is the cheapest I've seen for this model (if you can find one - green versions seem hard to find now). 

£142.50 now

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Just noticed the Rails exclusive D65 Grenadier Guardsman hasn’t got a BR crest on either side. Not an expert on Sulzers but yet to see a photo of one like this - anyone know if it’s correct to prototype? 

This site provides a very comprehensive overview of liveries, names and nameplates: https://peakdieselarchive.co.uk/first-to-last-naming

According to the site: "D65, was selected to be named GRENADIER GUARDSMAN at Derby Works without ceremony on 23/05/1964. The loco ran with everything intact until late 1976 or early 1977, and certainly by 09/04/77

Plenty of others lost crests early on and many plates were removed for safe keeping well before withdrawal. 

Fascinating to read the history of the named locos.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

According to the site: "D65, was selected to be named GRENADIER GUARDSMAN at Derby Works without ceremony on 23/05/1964. The loco ran with everything intact until late 1976 or early 1977, and certainly by 09/04/77

Plenty of others lost crests early on and many plates were removed for safe keeping well before withdrawal. 

Interesting site but it is referring to the regimental crests on the nameplate and not the missing totems.  

Edited by Hal Nail
clarity
  • Agree 1