Heljan announce Class 45 in OO

AY Mod

15 hours ago, westonp said:

I had one of the limited edition models arrive last week. It has already been returned. 
As well as the sluggish and growly motor (even after a period of running in and wheel clean) and non-functioning cab lights, mine was also missing a number of the solebar pipe stubs/fins at each end. As they were not in the box I assume they were broken off in the factory. 
The attached photos even show one missing in the Hornby magazine review. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Needless to say with all the other faults/inaccuracies I have cancelled my other order and will be asking for a refund/credit for the returned one. 

There really is no excuse for a model as poor as this these days. 

DFDDBABC-1995-4461-BE8D-84EB08EE70EE.jpeg

866B0774-9862-450E-8DBC-650E1F1A524E.jpeg

I can't quite put my finger on it.

Contacted Heljan and had no response.

Contacted retailer who initially responded within 90 minutes to look for a spare part. After a week I enquired about replacement or refund and had no response.

1127739907_HeljanClass45.png.0ef000ea01f532c2a263bfea7a752b11.png

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

18 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Contacted retailer who initially responded within 90 minutes to look for a spare part. After a week I enquired about replacement or refund and had no response.

I would just make my own panel as a pair to replace those. I know you shouldn't have to but if that's the only issue why not try. Use some of the plastic packaging that Bachmann etc use for the "glass" and digits from the Precision Labels range http://www.precisionlabels.com/l51.html? or http://www.precisionlabels.com/l41.html? Cut squares approx size then use an emery board to file to shape. Cut the digits to fit inside the opening and use a black marker pen on all that white, I've backdated several Baccy locos using this type of method. Spare headcodes from other Heljan loco's can also work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RBAGE said:

I will be replacing mine this weekend, if it successful then you can have mine.

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, GRUNFOS said:

I will be replacing mine this weekend, if it successful then you can have mine.

Paul 

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the offer. Would you mind explaining what your plans are?

Regards,

Bob

PS My intention is to change the headcode but using the glazing from the model, as I have done on countless other models.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2022 at 02:37, TheEngineShed said:

I have two of the TMC special editions.  Both have all the five pointy gubbins extending downward without damage, that is eight total sets of gubbins between the two.  They seem fine on the rolling road and are fine switching at home.  They haven't stretched their legs at the club yet, but nothing seems amiss at this point.  It also isn't a surprise regarding the roof profile, it wasn't like we were not forewarned, the early photos demonstrated that aspect.

What I find amusing / annoying, is the four, six bolt access panels under each cab window.  They seem to function as builders plates on the number 2 end.  How does that happen?  Crewe and Derby plates had four, not six bolts on the plates and they should be under the drivers side window only.  A direct copy of the O gauge models, did not the O gauge crowd complain?  Don't answer that, I suspect they aren't as discerning  as the double O crowd (runs for cover).

My pair seem fit for purpose, but I feel your pain if you got a growly motor.  That part is unacceptable.  The rest, well you vote with your wallet...

Im trying to workout what you mean...regarding the builders plate comment....its true that the builders plate should be 4 bolts only...but its prototypical that they should be on every cab side** (including secondmans) the reason being is they allowed access to the bolts which hold the droplight in plcace, in the event you had to replace the glass or there was a fault with the drop light..without these panels you would have to dismantle most of the panels in the cab, so a hole was provisioned in the sides to allow this on all 4 sides not just the drivers-side, because each seat has a droplight..i would be willing to bet...that as built if you take away the builders plates...the hole would not be present.

**the crux is...they seem to be a later addition possibly something only 45s received as part of there final trip through works as phots of 44s and pre-refurb era peaks don't seem to have them.

So like the axle-boxes Heljan have compromised in that the loco they obviously studied was a preserved class 45.... and have incorrectly included a feature that should only be on 45s modelled in the later years..

hopefully ive understood you point correctly as to "how this has happened"

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2022 at 12:48, stovepipe said:

The comments on that photo are worth a read too, particularly for this website which I wasn't aware of before

https://peakdieselarchive.co.uk/first-to-last-liveries

And from this website it appears only D50-57, built at Crewe, had the grab rails painted yellow, which they entered service with.

Never seen that site before either - had a read. I'm surprised D24 wasn't mentioned under 'Toton Blue - full yellow ends' alongside D83, it was in the same condition but had the later style numerals. This may mean that it was either not a Toton repaint or was the last one they did. The numbers were applied unusually close to the cab doors unlike the other jobs. It was almost certainly Russell Saxton who made me aware of that one many years ago too - perhaps he had reason to believe Toton didn't do it, but that would make its logo-less condition even more of a mystery.......

D57 appears brand new on the front cover of Strathwood's 'Looking Back at Peaks' - this confirms that Heljan have the nose front grab rails correct, even if it looks like an assembly error!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the offer. Would you mind explaining what your plans are?

Regards,

Bob

PS My intention is to change the headcode but using the glazing from the model, as I have done on countless other models.

Will be cutting thin plastic glazing sheet to size after cutting numerals to fit. will take some photos easier to see than describe.

Paul.

Edited by GRUNFOS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Hi. How did you contact Heljan? Via the messaging service at www.Heljan.co.uk?  We respond to queries as quickly as we can via the website and I haven‘t seen one about this issue so far. 

If the headcode panel insert was completely missing from your model we strongly suggest that it should be returned to your retailer for exchange. 

Hope this helps.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 61661 said:

Hi. How did you contact Heljan? Via the messaging service at www.Heljan.co.uk?  We respond to queries as quickly as we can via the website and I haven‘t seen one about this issue so far. 

If the headcode panel insert was completely missing from your model we strongly suggest that it should be returned to your retailer for exchange. 

Hope this helps.

Ben

I contacted by the website. 

Anyhow, the retail reports he has come across spares, once I suggested a return, so I'll wait and see what arrives. 

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pheaton said:

**the crux is...they seem to be a later addition possibly something only 45s received as part of there final trip through works as phots of 44s and pre-refurb era peaks don't seem to have them.

I am a pretops modeller and those droplight access plates were a post tops addition, just confirmed by looking at tops photos.  That explains that, thank you.  But when the Peaks were delivered they only had two builders plates, under the drivers side window on each side.  Heljan has put both builders plates on the No. 2 end, printed over the access panels.  TMC, Rails, and the regular run of pretops units were delivered with one plate printed in the wrong location.  If doing a repaint into an early livery, it would be easy to sand these access covers off... 

On a positive note, I was impressed with the grill blanking plate on the No.2 end.  In pre-production photos, they looked like rectangular slabs.   Very thin on the model, could pass for brass etches. 

They are loud on the rolling road, at speed.    I'm not certain if they quieted down, or I had some hearing loss after an hour plus...   😀

• Like 1

More weirdness with the radiator grills.  The internal stiffeners on the TMC economy green units don't seem to show.  They come through just fine on D15, the blue unit, but are lacking on D12.  D11 on the TMC website in delivery green, also shows the internal stiffeners.  The only conclusion I can draw is that the paint on the economy green units is thicker, obscuring the internal stiffeners.  I might try masking the areas where the stiffeners are on both bodyside grills and airbrushing some black over them. 

20221029_123220.jpg

20221029_123249.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

More weirdness with the radiator grills.  The internal stiffeners on the TMC economy green units don't seem to show.  They come through just fine on D15, the blue unit, but are lacking on D12.  D11 on the TMC website in delivery green, also shows the internal stiffeners.  The only conclusion I can draw is that the paint on the economy green units is thicker, obscuring the internal stiffeners.  I might try masking the areas where the stiffeners are on both bodyside grills and airbrushing some black over them. 

20221029_123220.jpg

20221029_123249.jpg

Would the grilles have been covered by frost grilles during the era of the green peaks?

I'm just thinking the green one looks not unlike the frost grilles that get supplied with Bachmann Class 40s in case you want to fit them. Would the TMC website show a pre-production example?

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 13:29, pheaton said:

Im trying to workout what you mean...regarding the builders plate comment....its true that the builders plate should be 4 bolts only...but its prototypical that they should be on every cab side** (including secondmans) the reason being is they allowed access to the bolts which hold the droplight in plcace, in the event you had to replace the glass or there was a fault with the drop light..without these panels you would have to dismantle most of the panels in the cab, so a hole was provisioned in the sides to allow this on all 4 sides not just the drivers-side, because each seat has a droplight..i would be willing to bet...that as built if you take away the builders plates...the hole would not be present.

So like the axle-boxes Heljan have compromised in that the loco they obviously studied was a preserved class 45.... and have incorrectly included a feature that should only be on 45s modelled in the later years..

Slightly incorrect  regarding works plates . they are secured with screws . Yes its 4 holes on on works plate.

The countersink chamfer on said screws are machined to suit top of screw O/D .Making the head of screw flush on said plate.

Yes the 2nd mans side plates you mention are attached with bolts (Whitworth)

Believe me i know 

• Like 1

On 29/10/2022 at 17:54, TheEngineShed said:

20221029_123220.jpg

20221029_123249.jpg

So 45 133 arrived today I would say mine is in between those in the Photograph and certainly not as good as the Bachmann in this respect.

As has already been said the Blue is too dark, similar to my old Lima Class 40 and from my viewpoint borderline too fragile for an RTR model, at least it doesn't the Accurascale Deltic chains. Having just recently got the new Bachmann 37 and 47 I think Bachmann have the better balance between detail and what's practical for an RTR model and leaving the customer to decide whether they want to add some of the more delicate bits, compared to both Heljen and Accurascale

Overall I prefer the Bachmann model I wouldn't swap my Bachmann 45/0 for a Heljen one, but I would swap my Heljen 45/1 for a Bachmann one if they eventually get around to doing one.

Edited by 40002
  • Like 1

Tried a couple of non sound decoders today. so a DCC Concepts 6fn, that didn't work correctly as per Heljen Instructions, one end the tail lights only come on if you keep the function key pressed and the cab lights don't seem to work at all. so I tried an Accurascale Deltic decoder that works as per the Deltic instructions, so you get F0 directional marker lights, then F11 tail lights directional, F12 cab lights directional, I'm quite happy with that I think I will use the Accurascale decoder.

I also fitted standard couplings I guess the one advantage of all the pipework being on the bogie buffer beam and the way that Heljen have done it, is that you can have both the Standard coupling and the fitted pipework together.  The roof fan design is a bit more elegant than Bachmann as well, if you get the Bachmann sound version the fan does not come fitted as the speaker gets in the way although you can cut the fan fitting slightly to make it fit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 40002 said:

Tried a couple of non sound decoders today. so a DCC Concepts 6fn, that didn't work correctly as per Heljen Instructions, one end the tail lights only come on if you keep the function key pressed…

That sounds that you have the function key set as momentary rather than latching. 

Roy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

That sounds that you have the function key set as momentary rather than latching. 

Roy

No doubt your correct all this DCC stuff is still new to me, but i'm thinking the function F2 will be better staying as momentary for my sound decoders, OK forget that I gather you can change the latching function per individual loco address so I may give it a try.

Edited by 40002

I've got 4 in total, although the last one this evening will be going back as it is jerky and doesn't seem to like any decoder I try (maybe a PCB issue?)

Has anyone experienced the same as attached with the tails still illuminating? I think this is light seepage rather than actual illuminating properly, as they're much brighter once the appropriate function is pressed.

Cheers

20221112_011426.jpg

Edited by Peanut89
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A very fair review in this months Rail Express I feel. A comprehensive description, a balanced approach to the pluses and minuses (nothing  found that hasn't already been discussed in this thread) and a summing up that says it has captured the essence of the Peak very well and its very much a state of the art model technically. I'm still in the market for one - Warley beckons! :)

• Like 2

On 07/11/2022 at 15:58, GRUNFOS said:

Renumbered and weathered, 45 044. Modelu crew fitted.

1921712808_PICT0037(4).JPG.d12fb5137d3fb611bf4affabfa02ea29.JPG

2139353077_PICT0020(2).JPG.2d821a1a8b179cc9390bf73197e96f06.JPG

Anyone noticed Heljan have printed the OHLE at the wrong end on this side? I did after looking at this photo but have corrected it now. I think the 45/1s are the same.

• Like 1

So I have decided to sell my Blue 45/1, compared to my other Blue loco's which is most of them the Blue just looked wrong even against the recent Heljen 25 that I have, I have replaced it with a Bachmann Class 40 which I am very happy with.

I hope  Heljen correct this on any future batches then I might consider one again.

• Friendly/supportive 1